Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Community Administrator

German VW Factory

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nd5WGLWNllA?rel=0

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
VERY cool video!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That factory was built while I was working for Volkswagen of America. They make some realy nice products and the Phaton is realy a nice vehicle.
Now retired, it was a good ride for 23 plus years.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
VW

Cool video. I owned 23 VW's in my life and they RUN and RUN. Never need a tow. The 23rd is on 242,000 km in 12 years. Cool product
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Cool video. I owned 23 VW's in my life and they RUN and RUN. Never need a tow. The 23rd is on 242,000 km in 12 years. Cool product
I have owned four VW's. This video with the robots is incredible. It borders on unreal almost. Letting customers help build their own car using factory tools on the floor as the car is going down the assembly line, like that will happen with Ford, GM or Chrysler never!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a young man I owned 4 VW's. 3 Bugs and a bus. Loved them all!
That video is really amazing. Way ahead of our Mfg. processes for anything.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

The Volkswagon Phaton is built inside the "glass factory". It is all "hand assembled" by Union workers that are paid some of the highest wages in the industry.
The Phaton was sold in the US for about 4 years, the last being 2006.
The car now sells for around 157,000 Euros or about 200,000 US dollars.
If you want to see or even help (put in a bolt or two) build your car, it is allowed.
The factory is quite a showplace.
I'm not sure if the Phaton can be towed 4-Down or not. Ha! Ha!
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Used to own a VW Rabbitt

This was my first car I ever owned paid $5,000 in 1977. It was a lemon as they made changes that year to the fuel injection that year. My auto mechanic bought it from me for $200.00 with 80,000 miles on it and a cracked engine block. It would break down 3to 4 times a week. I had a thick stack of repair bills. Finally had a Class action law suit. I vowed never to give VW one penny of my money again and I have kept my word!!!! Very cool video. Too muchn $ for us to pay for a car that would rust out in snow and ice conditions.
Smeraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

I learned to twist wrenches on those dang things. Buddy's dad ran an excavating business with VW trucks and Ford back hoes, was forever breaking both. He bought Brian a Beetle convertible with the understanding if the truck broke the car was cannibalized to get it going, it was up to us to put said car back together out of bone yard parts if we wanted wheels. I still remember how to pull the motor in under 15 minutes.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I learned to twist wrenches on those dang things. Buddy's dad ran an excavating business with VW trucks and Ford back hoes, was forever breaking both. He bought Brian a Beetle convertible with the understanding if the truck broke the car was cannibalized to get it going, it was up to us to put said car back together out of bone yard parts if we wanted wheels. I still remember how to pull the motor in under 15 minutes.
Well, things have changed a little. DW has a '06 Beetle that she bought new. She loves it. I hate the thing. Just paid $20(+batt) just to change the battery out...and a bargain at that. The poor guy had to dismantle the whole area surrounding the battery box. VW wanted $50 to change the rt. front head light bulb. That's when I bought a maintenance manual...what a PAIN this car is. It'll scoot on down the road though. I refuse to drive the thing as well...it's like a cross between a fire truck and a tomato - man it's RED!

I used to work for VW in the early 70's and got out of it when German engineering found out that all ills could be cured with massive clusters of vacuum hoses. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
way cool video.... I have had lots of vw too.. 80 rabbit, 86 westfalia,86 quantrum syncro, 99 tdi bug, 03 tdi jetta and still have a 06 tdi dsg jetta...

If you ever get the chance go to Bowling Green Ky...You can tour the factory floor and see the cars move above your head and see the drivetrain and body meet... really cool and if you want you can help build the one you bought...
National Corvette Museum
I have been there 2 times and hope to go again...
Oh and they have a lottory where you can get a chance on a new corvette for $10...
later
jeff
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i pull a 89 vw cabriolet conv behind my mh on a tow dolly. cool for beach riding and also use it for a daily driver also drive a 06 jetta. Have one question about my vw's. Why does my wife's '10 Mustang GT with a V8 in it get better gas mileage than either of my vw's. I am highly upset about this......and as far as my '89 cabby goes, don't drive it any further than I want to walk. But I do love my vw's...
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
"why does my wife's '10 Mustang GT with a V8 in it get bettergasmileage than either of my vw's. I am highly upset about this......and as far as my '89 cabby goes, don't drive it any further than I want to walk. But I do love my vw's..."

Sorry you VWs are not getting good mileage... What are you getting?
my 80 rabbit gas got 35mpg, 86 westfalia got 24, syncro got 25,
99 TDI bug ave.49mpg... best was 52... biodiesel was 47 but more fun.
bug was rated 49hy and 42 city... 03 got 42mpg and 06 has been getting 43.5mpg... around 600 miles to the tank... The turbo diesel is not slow either. My jetta does 0-60 in 8.5sec... Love the fact that with synthic oil you can go 10,000miles between oil changes... My old 86 corvette pace car with the 4+3 manual trans got 27mph highway... kind of wish I had kept it...
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
89 cabby gets 22 around town 06 jetta around 28 highway depends on how im driving (both gas) with prem fuel thats all i run in them. both 5 speeds. mustang gt at 65 to 70mph gets 28 plus.(5speed) but i do understand that technology has greatly improved since these cars were built. would i buy another vw ? yup sure would because i enjoy driving them.
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote