Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Get ready it's starting again

The increase in the price of Gasoline and Diesel is on the way back up to what happen last year at this time.
How? The future buyers are during the same as last year. They are willing to pay more for a Barrel of Oil 2-3 months from now, thereby causing the price to go up.
What can we do. In turth very little as a whole, we as a Nation will just live with this increase until it gets into the $4.00-$5.00 range again and then start to cut back and guess what, that will be just about the end of summer when most people drive less.
I wish I had the answer but I don't, but maybe, just maybe someone in our iRV2 family does.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel prices roller coaster all the time, the current up-swing is normal for this time of year.. What will be interesting is to see how high it goes

Last year's swing (5.00 and above in some places to <1.00 in others, at different times) was a bit scary however. I'd like to not see that again

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Is that the reason crude was down over $2 earlier today and is down $1.34 right now? Seasonally the prices go up in the spring, then in the fall, the heating prices go up. The global demand for fuels is down right now due to the economy.
I am betting we have more traveling this year than last.
The futures players got bit pretty bad last season and are more cautious now.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read a couple of articles and the oil companies were designing their projects on $60 to $70 per barrel oil. That or higher and the projects will go. Lower and they shutdown or delay the projects. Right now, the projects are being stopped or shutdown since oil is too cheap to support the project. We need for oil to settle in that price range to get things moving again.

Oil is not the solution to the long term energy in the world. Everyone needs to look at energy usage and alternate forms of energy such as solar, wind power, wave action, ethanol fuel and nuclear power.

Ken
Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As Ken said, low oil prices have a tremendous impact on the supply side. As oil prices increased, exploration increased along with projects that would have increased the supply of refined products, thereby bringing prices back in line. Just as Economics 101 predicts, with the drop in oil prices, guess what's happened to exploration for new crude oil supplies?

In the oil patch, we say that "They're stacking rigs as fast as they can drag 'em into the yard!" The impact on any quest for United States energy self-sufficiency (or even any movement toward that unachievable goal) is obvious!

Oil may not be the long-term answer for our energy supply problems, but it's going to be a major player for quite a few decades yet. Therefore, I would posit that assuring adequate supplies is in everyone's interests.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #6

Wouldn't be surprised to see oil markets react to the spending of money like it was water here in the U.S. as an inflationary spike, and that we will all be paying the price soon in oil, as in many products where price can be manipulated upward without too much effort. We in the Motorhome Cartel don't have too many options for fighting back while the greenback is spent into oblivion, while those in the Oil Cartel have decades of learning & tricks up their sleeves.
Oh well. Grin & bear it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drill HERE>U.S.A.
Drill NOW>U.S.A.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #8

Retail fuel prices are not rising in SW Indiana yet, today- gas = $1.87, diesel = $1.98.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We paid $1.899 for diesel on 3/20, $1.999 for diesel at the same station on 3/22 and today that price is $2.179. Given the direction of the overall economy everywhere (not just the US), you are going to have a hard time convincing me that demand alone is driving that kind of change.

While I'm not usually as paranoid as this will sound, there are many who were cheering the price of all products last summer and are very depressed now - and none of them are in the petroleum industry. The folks who don't want any exploration anywhere want to see us weened off the use of oil one way or another. $8 per gallon would do a lot of weening. Perhaps Cap and Trade and is going to be a better, faster way to accomplish that same goal.

My approach is to use the RV as much as we can as fast as we can, while we can still afford it. I'm not very optimistic that is going to last very long. I believe it is going to be unaffordable to use long before it is worn out.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via ICQ to Bubbadan Send a message via AIM to Bubbadan
The price of oil is going up and my plans are to camp as close to home as we can I am not going to stop taking my grand kids camping and learning about our great country and nature.
Just my HO
Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think oil prices will climb as usual with summer demand but nothing like last year. Economy wont allow it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that the prices go up at this time of the year. My concern is that supply is up and demand is down, so why is the price of oil going up?
Don't want to hear that part of the problem is the heating season was worse than normal. If that was the case, Diesel would not have come down to or below the price of Gasoline.
In MHO I feel someone is starting what happen last year to the price of Oil. Hopefully I am wrong and maybe, just maybe Oil will settle in the $60-70 range as TXiceman stated.
I hope it is not just GREED.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
I agree that the prices go up at this time of the year. My concern is that supply is up and demand is down, so why is the price of oil going up?
Don't want to hear that part of the problem is the heating season was worse than normal. If that was the case, Diesel would not have come down to or below the price of Gasoline.
In MHO I feel someone is starting what happen last year to the price of Oil. Hopefully I am wrong and maybe, just maybe Oil will settle in the $60-70 range as TXiceman stated.
I hope it is not just GREED.
I get weary of the word "greed". You are aware that Mobil, E.G., makes less ROI than >50 % of business. You are aware that Mobil makes about $0.10/gal of gas sold while the various taxing agencies make >$0.60.

If you think it was expensive last year, wait until the congress bans further drilling in the US (They have said they will do so). They are also adding the carbon tax. They have banned future nuclear plants. They have banned most wind (in face of claiming they want to go that way). They want alcohol based fuels which are way less efficient than gas and will result in raising food costs 20-30%. CORN IS FOOD.

It is projected we will have >$10/gal gas and >$1.00/kwh electricity in 2 years.

Now, just who is greedy?

But that's ok. The congress will tell your boss what your salary will be.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #14

Every time we get ready to go on our yearly three month trip, the fuel prices skyrocket. I’d like to apologize to ya’ll for causing it again this year. My bad karma hurts everybody. America has huge resources of oil,, natural gas, and coal. Unfortunately the politicians keep putting it off limits and forcing us to buy our energy offshore. The rest of the world laughs at us for doing it. (especially the oil producing countries.) OPEC has cut 5 million bbls a day with a prerecession usage of 85 million bbls a day. Coal fired power plants are being tuned down right and left and we are heading for a cliff on electricity availability. I think the politicians and the greens want us to have a shortage to promote conservation and expensive alternative energies. Next time I hear a politician sy we need to get off foreign oil when the answer is right under our feet and off our shores. Let us use our god given resources and get back to cheap energy.