Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: FL
Posts: 1,068
Originally Posted by stik View Post
It was apparently a legal stop. Permission to search was obtained. The driver denied owning it and signed a statement to that effect. How Is that defined as "seizure"? I call it recovery of unclaimed property.

What if 30 minutes after the stop, the money was reported stolen and the Trooper had let this guy depart with the money? Would you then be accusing the Trooper of being an idiot rather than some conspiring arm of the Government.

Every one bad mouths the cops until they need one. Like the article said, there is an ongoing investigation, but wait, lets all jump on the band wagon and make wild, unfounded accusations without all the facts. DOH!
Wow Stik, you sure are accusatory. Where in my post did I make wild, unfounded accusations? I didn't accuse the trooper of anything. I started by saying you're damned if you do, damned if you don't, meaning if the trooper had made different decision it could have been considered wrong, too. That's what happens when you have to make a decision on the spot and I understand that. And permission to search does not mean the police can take (or seize) anything. What they can take are the fruits of illegal gains or illegal items.

The whole intent of my post was to show why this whole thing is wrong because our laws are intended to protect us from being a police state. Let's turn the table on you in a hypothetical situation, as a law abiding citizen who is stopped under similar circumstances. You were carrying $300K in a box inside your trunk to buy an RV. The police find it and assume you're a drug dealer and no amount of explaining will dissuade them from holding you until it's sorted out. Would you not object?

Never said anything about a conspiracy, either. But, it is true that our liberties are being taken away a bit at a time whether you want to believe it or not. Yes, none of us have all the facts, and yes, the money was probably the fruits of some illegal activity, IMO. But based on the article, this guy had no obligation to even tell the police the money was not his. He was not obligated to turn it over or even say where he got it. It's really no one's business unless there is/was a connection the police could make to a crime involving that money. Of course in this case, it appears the guy was really stupid and didn't know what his rights were and that led to the seizure.

This is a country of laws (even though they're being whittled away by activist judges) and I suspect, absent any other evidence of illegality, a court would determine it an illegal seizure and order the money returned. Based on your comments, seems like the law doesn't matter and the ends justify the means.

--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #30
Senior Member
Ramblin's Avatar
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,250
Originally Posted by stik View Post
It was apparently a legal stop. Permission to search was obtained. The driver denied owning it and signed a statement to that effect. How Is that defined as "seizure"? I call it recovery of unclaimed property.
Playing devils advocate here: How were the COPS entitled to take possession of that found money? On suspicion that something might have possibly been illegal about it? Sounds flimsy to me.

Suppose a cop came (invited) onto your land to talk to you, looked down and saw a diamond ring there on the ground. Just because you say 'I don't know where it came from' doesn't give him the right to confiscate it.

Now, maybe he could take it, give you a receipt, and if the rightful owner could not be found, return it to you.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #31
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,351
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post


If someone steps up and claims ownership and can prove their claim then I'm sure they will get the money back.
Maybe in a 100 years.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #32
Senior Member
Z714X4's Avatar
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 235
If someone steps up and claims ownership and can prove their claim then I'm sure they will get the money back.

Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Maybe in a 100 years.
Yeah, I was kidding.
Since no one could probably prove ownership, I'm sure its not going anywhere.
2011 Allegro 35QBA
Kar Kaddy KK460SS
2007.5 GMC, LMM D/A, Crew Cab, Z71 4x4, Long Box
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
richvkansas's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 69
Haven't logged in for a couple of days and found this thread---really enjoyed the posts and thought I would chime in.

1. The traffic stop and discovery of the money:
Officer: Hey Mr. Smith, look here at this huge pile of cash. (Important question here) Is this yours?
Mr. Smith: Holy cow! I have never seen that money before in my life and I have no idea who it belongs to.
Officer: It's not yours?
Mr Smith: No sir, no way, never seen that money before right now, not mine never was never will be.
Officer: If it's not yours, whose is it?
Mr. Smith: No idea, no way, not mine not anyone's I know.

So the officer takes possession of the "found property" which is held for a time specified by law, it is posted in legal notices for disposition in the newspaper and a court hearing is held to determine the owner. If no ownership is established, the government is the recipient because Mister "it ain't mine, I've never been here before and I'm never coming back again" Smith still doesn't want it.

2. The $10k transaction report also known as the Cash Transaction Report (CTR) is filed by any financial institution (bank) that handles a cash transaction of $10k or more. This is a routine form and unless there are a whole lot of them, it rings no bells.

3. There is no attempt to hide the fact that a $10k+ cash transaction will generate a CTR and as a result, there were people who said, "well, I'll just make multiple less than $10k transactions and I'm good." Nice thought but wrong. Multiple cash transactions for say, $9,500 each over a short period of time will generate another form called a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) and this one does ring bells.
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #34
Senior Member
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kitts Hill, OH
Posts: 1,822
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
What if he said it was his? Would they have let him go?
Yes just as soon as they figure out that the money is not from illegal means. I mean if he has made that money fair and square then he must have paid income tax on it correct??
I'd say all he wanted to do was to get as far away from the cops as he could.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #35
Senior Member
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21,176
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
This guy is let go. Of course, the cops kept the money.

Illinois State Police Seize $300,000 in Traffic Stop CBS St. Louis

I can't believe he was just let go. I guess Illinois really needs the money.

Well he denied it was his and they could not prove it (likely a rented car)

That said. the most likely scenero is one I know quite well from observation.. The man was a drug mule and hauling cash back to the shipper.. When he gets there, sans money, he's going to be ..... Terminated from his drug hauling job... And quite likely his breathing job as well... Actually release is common in these cases.. I've seen it even when the arresting officers knew for a fact the driver and loader were dealing/hauling drugs and they knew it was drug money (Thank you Boomer the drug sniffing dog, Did I mention I've petted Boomer, Drug dealers don't get to do that )

As for legit reasons to be hauling 300K in case.. I can think of 2 or 3 off hand, No problem.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior Grab Handle Modify on Monarch SFS dickiebob Monaco Owner's Forum 7 09-09-2015 06:53 PM
Saving Money Motivates Avid RVer to Customize rather than Build, New Mega-Coach DriVer RV Industry Press 0 03-23-2011 08:32 PM
Lighted Exterior Grab Handles PizzaGuy Monaco Owner's Forum 2 05-04-2009 11:30 PM
Grab Handle jdec Monaco Owner's Forum 5 03-13-2009 07:42 AM
Grab handle Janal Monaco Owner's Forum 6 04-02-2008 05:15 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.