Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Since when it is illegal to possess U.S currency ? I don't care what the amount, you should not be put under suspicion for carrying cash.... '
I don't believe that it is illegal, but our laws require us to be able to explain how we obtain our money for tax purposes. If it were illegal to carry, the guy would have been arrested.

Try getting on an international flight some time with >$10,000 in cash and there could be trouble. I saw three men in black board an international flight I was on in SFO... open a guy's briefcase... and haul him off the flight. The word that went around the cabin afterwards was that it was full of cash.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #16

Cops probably asked one question, "you sure you don't own the money"? The investigation concluded, the guy was patted on the butt and allowed to leave while the rejoicing cops made plans for the money.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't believe that it is illegal, but our laws require us to be able to explain how we obtain our money for tax purposes. If it were illegal to carry, the guy would have been arrested.

Rick

It's actually not for tax purposes but for the (so called) war on drugs. and by having large sums of cash you are presumed to be suspect for no other reason then the amount of cash you have on you... The $300K this guy had was confiscated because the cops suspected it was drug money, no proof needed.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
why would you walk around with that much cash???
Why would you ask?

Besides, it's earning more interest than my mutual funds this year. Down 7%
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
because the cops suspected it was drug money, no proof needed.
Without getting political, doesn't the constitution guarantee the due process of law to all?
Or at least it used to.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Without getting political, doesn't the constitution guarantee the due process of law to all?
Or at least it used to.

Yep, it use to... Not sure if it's political or not, just the way it is.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Didn't you get the memo?

Your rights were passed right down the Loo,
When they passed the (Patriot) Act of 2002.
(Rhyme intended)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
why would you walk around with that much cash???
Answer:
Grandma didn't trust banks; saw people loose their savings in the 1928; 1930 crash.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Cops probably asked one question, "you sure you don't own the money"? The investigation concluded, the guy was patted on the butt and allowed to leave while the rejoicing cops made plans for the money.
Haha. It was probably $1,000,000 he really had on him. $300K is what they REPORTED they found.

Hey, if THEY can presume he was up to no good without any evidence, I can presume they are corrupt via the same process.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
That $10K law has been around awhile. Back in '96 when DW bought her Harley we sold her old one and had enough to pay cash. The dealer told us up front that they had to report it to the feds. We got the same answer as to why, so drug dealer types could not exchange large amounts of cash.

Told them so what since we were legit. No one ever asked about it.

BTW I believe that $300K fell out of my wallet
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #25

This is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" stories. Sure, I suspect he was a mule for some illegal activity and maybe he really didn't know the money was there. But, since when in America do the police have the right to seize money when there is no other apparent illegal activity other than a routine traffic stop? Don't get me wrong, I support the police and I'm not a law breaker. But, to answer my own question, our nanny state has slowly and surely given over our Constitutional rights to any authority that wants to take them. We have a right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, and we're presumed innocent until proven guilty. But more and more these rights are overlooked in our zeal to find the real criminals, at the expense of law-abiding people. That, in my not so humble opinion, is not the freedom the founders intended.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
B.Franklin
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
This is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" stories. Sure, I suspect he was a mule for some illegal activity and maybe he really didn't know the money was there. But, since when in America do the police have the right to seize money when there is no other apparent illegal activity other than a routine traffic stop? Don't get me wrong, I support the police and I'm not a law breaker. But, to answer my own question, our nanny state has slowly and surely given over our Constitutional rights to any authority that wants to take them. We have a right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, and we're presumed innocent until proven guilty. But more and more these rights are overlooked in our zeal to find the real criminals, at the expense of law-abiding people. That, in my not so humble opinion, is not the freedom the founders intended.
It was apparently a legal stop. Permission to search was obtained. The driver denied owning it and signed a statement to that effect. How Is that defined as "seizure"? I call it recovery of unclaimed property.

What if 30 minutes after the stop, the money was reported stolen and the Trooper had let this guy depart with the money? Would you then be accusing the Trooper of being an idiot rather than some conspiring arm of the Government.

Every one bad mouths the cops until they need one. Like the article said, there is an ongoing investigation, but wait, lets all jump on the band wagon and make wild, unfounded accusations without all the facts. DOH!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #28

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
It was apparently a legal stop. Permission to search was obtained. The driver denied owning it and signed a statement to that effect. How Is that defined as "seizure"? I call it recovery of unclaimed property.

What if 30 minutes after the stop, the money was reported stolen and the Trooper had let this guy depart with the money? Would you then be accusing the Trooper of being an idiot rather than some conspiring arm of the Government.

Every one bad mouths the cops until they need one. Like the article said, there is an ongoing investigation, but wait, lets all jump on the band wagon and make wild, unfounded accusations without all the facts. DOH!
X2!!

If someone steps up and claims ownership and can prove their claim then I'm sure they will get the money back.