Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Get this money grab

This guy is let go. Of course, the cops kept the money.

Illinois State Police Seize $300,000 in Traffic Stop « CBS St. Louis

I can't believe he was just let go. I guess Illinois really needs the money.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The driver said the money wasn't his, what else were the police supposed to do at the time?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

What if he said it was his? Would they have let him go?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
What if he said it was his? Would they have let him go?
I have no idea what they would have done. If he said it was his maybe they would ask him how he obtained it? Maybe they would accept his answer and let him go? Maybe they would hold him while they checked to see if it was his and legally obtained? It was probably illegally obtained (drug money?) and that is why he said it wasn't his?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Perry White......Maybe in your part of town this is rare, but this goes on in large cities everyday. The guy who was stopped was carrying drug money. If he claims that its his, he wouldn't be able to explain how he got it, so they always say they don't know who it belongs to and release it to police.

In Los Angeles, the L.A. County Sheriff's Department and the Los Angeles Police Department seize millions every year. By law, one third is turned over to Drug Rehabilitaion programs, one third is turned over to the state and one third is kept by the recovering law enforcement agency. The recovering law enforcement agency can only use the money to buy equipment. It can't be used for salaries or infrastructure.

This procedure actually caused a problem in the late 80's. Los Angeles agencies lost interest in recovering drugs and just did drug stings where undercover cops would supply drug dealers with seized drugs for cash. The agencies were seizing millions and soon the cash was being used to buy more than equipment. The officers seizing the cash were working 60-80 hour weeks and not receiving any overtime pay. Soon they decided that the seized cash should buy dinners, then vacations and boats. Several officers were caught using the money inappropriately and went to prison.

Today, the money is very closely tracked.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Getting let go after losing $300 large of his bosses money was probably the LAST thing the guy wanted. He won't be around long enough to burden society any longer.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since when it is illegal to possess U.S currency ? I don't care what the amount, you should not be put under suspicion for carrying cash.... I sold one of our rental properties and when I went to deposit the certified funds in my company account I was questioned as to where the money came from...
It seems you are now guilty for just having a large amount of cash with no proof of any wrong doing. Any monies confiscated is gone and you will most likely have no chance of ever seeing it again even if it is your life savings under your mattress and someone informs law enforcement you have it.
Chances are this guy is guilty of something but why should having a large amount of cash in the vehicle be reason to confiscate it ?
I'm just sayin'
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Could have something to do with terrorist buying supplies ( like trucks ) with large amounts of cash. Just a thought. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I like cash, but when we bought our knight last sprint at lazydays, they told us they would accept a personal check for the down payment, but wanted nothing to do with green paper featuring a picture of ben franklin with a caption claiming this to be legal tender for all depbs public and private.

In the process of turning real money back into a personal check, I found out from my banker that any transaction involving $10,000 or more in cash needed to be reported to the internal revenue service along with my social security number. It took a number of $9500 transactions over a week before I was prepared to buy my new coach.

Can't say I understand it
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
In the process of turning real money back into a personal check, I found out from my banker that any transaction involving $10,000 or more in cash needed to be reported to the internal revenue service along with my social security number. It took a number of $9500 transactions over a week before I was prepared to buy my new coach.

Happened to me also when I bought my last motorhome; went to the bank with the money; you would have though I was a drug dealer the way I was treated
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
The police didn't need to do anything... Just think whats going to happen to the guy when the drug dealers find out he doesn't have their money.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Could have something to do with terrorist buying supplies ( like trucks ) with large amounts of cash. Just a thought. D
yeah thats it... not like the govt doesnt already have $5k cash reporting limits on transactionsl.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I like cash, but when we bought our knight last sprint at lazydays, they told us they would accept a personal check for the down payment, but wanted nothing to do with green paper featuring a picture of ben franklin with a caption claiming this to be legal tender for all depbs public and private.

why would you walk around with that much cash???
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Just remember, $10,000 they have to report, but they can report you for less if they want to. Remember, your guilty until proven innocent.