Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
15,000 employees of Goodyear tire and Rubber are on strike after a contract extension was terminated Thursday October 5th.

Read the article Here

Hard to say when this will have impact on folks wishing to buy tires, but if the strike lasts long, folks needing specific RV tires might not find them. Maybe if you need tires, get them now while inventories last. I know I had a week wait when I ordered my G670's last year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #2

Unfortunately, this is a pretty bad deal for the employees. Goodyear wants to close two plants. Plus they are wanting to make workers change their co-pay for health insurance from something around $40 for the whole family each month, to over $150 per each person each month... A big jump in co-pay.
I don't have all the facts, but these were just a couple of highlights I heard on the Akron talk radio today...

Yesterday I heard a guy who retired from Goodyear after over 20 years; -he was really glad his time came. He retired at a $17.00/hour rate. He said new employees, with the last contract will all start at $11.00/hour and signed a clause requiring them to come in to work if there is a strike.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #3

Who cares GY tires are crap, and over priced anyway....you're just paying for a name.....
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
The first thing we need to do is to (KILL ALL THE LAWYERS)

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had to replace three of the four Goodyear tires. One got a bulge on the side of one and two blew out. I have bought my last Goodyear tire.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
The first thing we need to do is to (KILL ALL THE LAWYERS)

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but what does your comment have to do with striking workers and Goodyear???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Not to get to complicated here, But it is the lawyers that help the big businesses write these new take back contracts. As I see it the unionized big bussiness employees have been taking a real beating lately, and IMHO I believe it's the lawyers that think this stuff up, as a matter of fact, aren't our law makers and politicians mostly lawyers. I wonder if these folks are the problem, or the solution makers. I like to observe and learn from history, and the French revolution keeps coming to mind, most ppl I know are getting really fed up.
Sorry if I offend anyone.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by troth:
Unfortunately, this is a pretty bad deal for the employees. Goodyear wants to close two plants. Plus they are wanting to make workers change their co-pay for health insurance from something around $40 for the whole family each month, to over $150 per each person each month... A big jump in co-pay.
I don't have all the facts, but these were just a couple of highlights I heard on the Akron talk radio today...

Yesterday I heard a guy who retired from Goodyear after over 20 years; -he was really glad his time came. He retired at a $17.00/hour rate. He said new employees, with the last contract will all start at $11.00/hour and signed a clause requiring them to come in to work if there is a strike.
To be honest, 150 a month for family medical coverage is a good deal in this day and age. Many compies it is 300 a month for family medical.

Unfortunatley many of our manufacturers need to close plants now days. It is not cost effective to keep a plant open that is running less than 80% capacity. Also many of these plants are 40 years old or more, again not cost effective to operate.

Harley Davison just put to vote with the union about a pay freeze and new hire people starting at a lower wage, in turn Harley would build a new engine plant in Milwalkee. Union said no to the wage freeze and lower pay rate for new hire people. Now another state will get the new plant. Who won here? Harley lost, they wanted to open a new plant near head quarters. The people of WI lost, they needed new jobs created in WI. The Union workers had a short term win, those that are working now. Their will be less new hires. Their jobs may be phased out to the new plant with more modern technology.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:

To be honest, 150 a month for family medical coverage is a good deal in this day and age. Many compies it is 300 a month for family medical.

Unfortunatley many of our manufacturers need to close plants now days. It is not cost effective to keep a plant open that is running less than 80% capacity. Also many of these plants are 40 years old or more, again not cost effective to operate.

Harley Davison just put to vote with the union about a pay freeze and new hire people starting at a lower wage, in turn Harley would build a new engine plant in Milwalkee. Union said no to the wage freeze and lower pay rate for new hire people. Now another state will get the new plant. Who won here? Harley lost, they wanted to open a new plant near head quarters. The people of WI lost, they needed new jobs created in WI. The Union workers had a short term win, those that are working now. Their will be less new hires. Their jobs may be phased out to the new plant with more modern technology. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your pretty good at telling the other fella what a good deal is! As far as Harley is concerned, theres plenty of good folk such as your self that will line up to buy them. Irregardless of what those evil union people demand. Imagine, the gall of some folks, wanting to keep their wages intact and insure good paying jobs for future employees. Well there will be no shortage of the intellectually enlightened to point out the error of their ways.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
LMAO, imagine the bal-- Harley has. Posting record profits for the last 15yrs and squeezing their loyal workers for give backs, a classic example of corporate greed in america. We can thank Mr. Reagan for starting it. I hope the UAW follows them to their new plant. I would put monsterous tarrifs on all imports, once again making the playin fields level for all.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Juggler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:

Harley Davison just put to vote with the union about a pay freeze and new hire people starting at a lower wage, in turn Harley would build a new engine plant in Milwalkee. Union said no to the wage freeze and lower pay rate for new hire people. Now another state will get the new plant. Who won here? Harley lost, they wanted to open a new plant near head quarters. The people of WI lost, they needed new jobs created in WI. The Union workers had a short term win, those that are working now. Their will be less new hires. Their jobs may be phased out to the new plant with more modern technology. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your pretty good at telling the other fella what a good deal is! As far as Harley is concerned, theres plenty of good folk such as your self that will line up to buy them. Irregardless of what those evil union people demand. Imagine, the gall of some folks, wanting to keep their wages intact and insure good paying jobs for future employees. Well there will be no shortage of the intellectually enlightened to point out the error of their ways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you have not checked out the Job market nation wide. Most companies require you to pay between 200 and 400 to cover your family for medical. There are a few that only require between 100 and 150 to cover your family medical. That is fact, I was in the Job market in 2001 when I retired from the Navy and that is what I found. I also was in the Job market again this year, found most big compaines required a co pay of 150 or more, most more.

I got my harley at 10% off MSRP becuse the company worked for was a parts supplier to Harley. So nope, I did not line up. However if Harley is not careful they will go the way of GM, Ford and Chrysler. The big three they no longer are Toyota is Number 2 now.

The car parts manufacture I worked for makes part for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Harley, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW and several others. They pay a very good wage, are non union. UAW keeps trying to get voted in but they cant offer us anything we do not have.

Look what the UAW got Ford, GM and such. GM, Ford and such keep closing plants. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW and such keep opening plants in the USA and making a profit. Toyota is rated as one of the best manufacutring plants in the USA to work at, high wages, good benifits and such.

When was the last new car plant built in MI? They have not built once since I moved out in 1981. Why is it all the new plants are going out of MI?
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Jestme13:
LMAO, imagine the bal-- Harley has. Posting record profits for the last 15yrs and squeezing their loyal workers for give backs, a classic example of corporate greed in america. We can thank Mr. Reagan for starting it. I hope the UAW follows them to their new plant. I would put monsterous tarrifs on all imports, once again making the playin fields level for all.
It is the united steel workers, not the UAW at harley thank gosh. If the UAW keeps getting 22 plus an hour for janitors no wonder Manufaturing is leaving MI and WI.

If you read your history on Harley they requested the tarrifs be lifted early off the Japanees bikes. Harley is the most expensive cruiser bike on the market, yet they sell more motorcycles than anyother company in the world.

A level playing field is free market with no tarrifs. The Japanees can make a car in the USA and make a profit. The WV toyota engine plant is so good and efficient they export engines to Japan. It is the most efficient engine plant in the world.

Why can't an American company do that? Too much management and to much union.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I am saying I would tarrif anything coming into this country, just like the rest of the world does to us, make everything here. I know my Harley history, I've been riding them way before it was cool, as a matter of fact I still have my 77 shovel. Harley has fallen into the greedy corporate mantality of big business America. Corporate America never reinvests in new facilities, hence, no new factories in MI. It's our own fault things have gotten the way they are, Americans want everything cheap, the 3rd worlds have supplied cheap and now we wonder where our jobs have gone. Wake up America before it's to late. And if it wasn't for the unions i don't think anyone would have made a good living wage. Yes the unions have gotten unreasonable on occasion, but so has big business. I just look at the coal regions here in PA and the abuse of large companies is very evident, let us not forget child labor, sweat shops, share croppers and migrent workers. We may not be perfect, but we are the best the world has yet seen. IHMO

Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #14

I grew up in Union country, MI. My grandparents on both sides were union, one set was UAW, the other was cereal workers. The Union were very much needed. The unions did a lot for the working man and woman. However as of late many have helped drive companies to the ground or put people out of work.

My feelings are managment is the number 1 reason that GM, Ford, and other manufacutures are have problems. The Union is the 2nd reason.

Toyota builds plants in the USA. Makes a profit in the USA. Compensates their workers very well. Is rated one of the best companies to work for. If they can do it so should GM, Ford and so on.

Differences are for a similar size plant GM has four to five times as much management as Toyota. For the same size plant GM has two to three times the number of hourly workers. The reason for the ratio of hourly workers is two fold, union will not let any one do anything other than their job description so lot of idle time. The other reason is the Toyota plants are new with a lot more automation requiring less people to run the plant.

The sad thing is we, the USA taught the Japaneese manufacturing. Now they are beating us at it in the USA, on our soil. American companies laughed at DR Demming and Steven Covey. Toyota took them to heart.

I do not feel terrif is the answer because forgien companies manufacture on US soil and make a profit on their goods. There goods are made with american labor. American companies should be able to do the same.