Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Getting Narcotics on the Road

There must be more than a few travelers out there with my problem. I take a combination of narcotics for pain management. Prescriptions are written only for a one month supply (some state I believe still allow up to 3 months - though questionable with the Feds). And of course a prescription can only be filled in the state it was issued (due to differing state laws). Right now I am on relatively low doses which work well and I can enjoy our RV. My problem is when we want to make a long trip (takes us time, we are slow!) I bump into drug refill problems. My options are:
1. Return to AZ every month to refill my meds.
2. Get post dated prescription then have a friend fill and send to us (could be a real bummer if a problem happens 2,000 miles from home).

So tell me, what do you folks in my situation do??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

Some of this depends on your insurance company's preferred mail order pharmacy. I can get three months supply of Vicodin. At 2.5 months I call my doctor and get a new script and the mail order pharmacy ships to where ever we are at the time.
Check with your doctor and insurance company.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Some of this depends on your insurance company's preferred mail order pharmacy. I can get three months supply of Vicodin. At 2.5 months I call my doctor and get a new script and the mail order pharmacy ships to where ever we are at the time.
Check with your doctor and insurance company.
That's my next step is see if my pharmacy will ship. I can't get a new script without being physically present and the prescription MUST be filled in AZ (an AZ reg per my Dr), though I can get post dated scripts for two months. And some pharmacies and Dr's are a bit hesitant on dealing with morph and oxy. Was hoping to find a Dr. in the Indy area willing to take me on for a few months/year, but seems new Indiana laws chased many away from the pain med arena.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
That's my next step is see if my pharmacy will ship. I can't get a new script without being physically present and the prescription MUST be filled in AZ (an AZ reg per my Dr), though I can get post dated scripts for two months. And some pharmacies and Dr's are a bit hesitant on dealing with morph and oxy. Was hoping to find a Dr. in the Indy area willing to take me on for a few months/year, but seems new Indiana laws chased many away from the pain med arena.

Thanks for the feedback!
Where do you get your Rx filled??? If at a Walmart just have it transfered to where ever you are at at the time. I've had Kroger pharmacy transfer my Rx to TN (from my home in VA) and to IN. Wasn't a big deal.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Where do you get your Rx filled??? If at a Walmart just have it transfered to where ever you are at at the time. I've had Kroger pharmacy transfer my Rx to TN (from my home in VA) and to IN. Wasn't a big deal.
Must agree with cb5300. Walmart is the way to go. I take several meds(5) and have had them filled, transferred, transferred back, doctor renewals when needed, and the pharmacy did it all for me. You can locate a walmart very easily and usually within a short drive. They even call me to remind me when they are available to refill!!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walgreens does the same as Walmart. They will transfer the script to the new location.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

I have a hip replacement, knee damage and some other issues but due to liver damage caused by statin drugs, my dr. will only prescribe oxycodone as anything else may cause additional liver damage. In Oregon I am able to get a 3 month supply, but I only take 2-3 a week and bank the rest. I don't need it all the time, just when heavy activity causes pain. There will probably be a time when the gvt will mandate what and how often I can get needed medications so I'm trying to be resourceful with what I have.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

you can always go to an Urgent Care Clinic or something similar but you would need some medical records with you plus a copy of your latest MRI or ? to document your physical problem requiring the narcotic. Just walking in and saying a have a "bad " back or knee will not work. Of course more expensive

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

Also Target pharmacies transfer scrip data. Not certain if a narcotic is transferable across state lines, since we don't have anything other than simple meds. This last 2000+ mile trip caused us no grief as far as getting fresh med refills at Target pharmacies.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Be aware on transferring scripts for controlled substances. You can only transfer it ONCE no matter how many refills might be left. Example: you have a script with four refills. You get the first one filled in Phoenix. You go to Sedona and have the script transferred there for your first refill. Your done. You still have three refills left on the script but you cannot have it transferred to another pharmacy. You either must go back to the Sedona pharmacy or get a new script.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quite a few states have stringent transfer rules , mine included .. although my script and meds not as heavy duty as yours and therefore may be different. My solution , at least at this time is to have Dr post date 3 scripts, for 30 days each, which I have filled in whatever state I am in. I've yet to check to see if I can use a mail order pharmacy( such as Expresscipps) and have the completed scrip sent to a mail fowarding service . It is a problem that is only going to get tougher
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #12

For anyone in a similar situation, here is a follow up on getting my prescriptions for pain meds filled. Prescription refill was refused in NY. Their state law requires prescriptions for narcotics can not be older than 30 days from date of issue (Walgreens pharmacist was adamant that was federal law - he was incorrect). My prescriptions were 40 days from the date of issue. As we were on our way through PA, stopped at a walgreens the next day and had no issue getting the scripts filled (no 30 day age limit). So one more question to add to the list when calling about refills in other states: time limit requirements from date of issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
i use costco they refill anywere in country..100 norco a month
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

We use CVS and they are very helpful across the USA. In SC recently they could not fill one unless they called the Dr. Office to confirm so weekends were out, we had to wait until Monday AM and then they filled with no issue.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum