Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #15

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
X-2 Hmmm makes one wonder how many are driving the moho and on narcotics ?? I think folks with this much pain should stay home and not be trying to drive and seek fun. Pain is no fun and if I had it a moho is the last place I would be in.
Who said the driver is on Narcotics?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
X-2 Hmmm makes one wonder how many are driving the moho and on narcotics ?? I think folks with this much pain should stay home and not be trying to drive and seek fun. Pain is no fun and if I had it a moho is the last place I would be in.
There are situations that narcotics are the only thing that helps with pain. Please don't assume that if a person is taking narcotics, that they take them all the time or that they should stay home because of a pain situation. Life should go on and be enjoyed even though pain may occur at times.
My DH was in a terrible accident years ago, (he was a paramedic and a driver hit the ambulance he was driving) having his foot cut off then reattached among many other injuries. In order to sleep at night, he takes a half dose of a narcotic as his foot aches and throbs when he lays down at night. That is the only time he needs it.
Each persons situation is different. Thank goodness we have good pain relievers for those that need it. It is unfortunate that users of narcotics are stereotyped as less than whole, or weak or abusers of pain killers.

Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #17

Does anyone here have Kaiser for insurance? This is a big concern for me for my mother. She has certain pain medications she takes for her back and hip due to an injury many years ago. She can only get a 30 day supply at a time. If she and my father want to travel anywhere (even not in the RV) she always has to plan it around her refill times. I have not had much luck navigating the Kaiser system with her to see if anything can be done. Her doctor refuses to write a script even one day before a refill is due and has told her she just has to schedule her vacations around it.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #18

One work-around if you travel with your spouse and have a good relationship with your doctor is to have Rx written for both parties. They are filled before you leave, so no on-the-road hassles. The doctor can also write the Rx for a maximum daily dose (say 4 or 6 per day). If your usage is less, you will have a longer supply.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
There are situations that narcotics are the only thing that helps with pain. Please don't assume that if a person is taking narcotics, that they take them all the time or that they should stay home because of a pain situation. Life should go on and be enjoyed even though pain may occur at times.
My DH was in a terrible accident years ago, (he was a paramedic and a driver hit the ambulance he was driving) having his foot cut off then reattached among many other injuries. In order to sleep at night, he takes a half dose of a narcotic as his foot aches and throbs when he lays down at night. That is the only time he needs it.
Each persons situation is different. Thank goodness we have good pain relievers for those that need it. It is unfortunate that users of narcotics are stereotyped as less than whole, or weak or abusers of pain killers.
Thank you for your reply, well said, a much better response than what I was formulating. After extensive work with Pain Management physicians, we finally found a combination of low dose narcotics which allows me to enjoy life again - still in pain but at reasonable levels. Surgeries ongoing but when a window opens ups it is such a treat to be able to travel.
And yes, the title was written with a touch of humor!
So far in my research I've found grey covered in shades of gray. Basically narcotic dispensing is regulated differently by each state under the federal mandates as a minimum. Due to liability issues, varying state laws and current climate concerning use of narcotics, most pharmacies prefer not to deal with out of state prescriptions. In my case, it is (appears) legal for a pharmacy in Indiana to fill an out of state prescription, though FINDING one willing to do so is quite difficult. I am currently working on this (was off line for the last few days visiting my local hospital) approach.
So my advice to any who are coming up against this issue, know before you go. Make sure you have a pharmacy lined up willing to fill. If you are staying in place for 3 or more months, find a local Dr willing to take you on as a part time patient.
It's been fun!!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #20

Gklehner -
My husband had his Indiana physician send in a 90 day supply script to a mail order pharmacy. We are full timers so we go back to Indiana yearly for physicals and he get a new script for the year then.
There may be limitations on what class of pain relievers are being filled for a 90 day supply. So far we haven't had a problem. We use a mail service for our mail and have the meds sent there, then they forward them to us where ever we are. If you are not full time, you may have to stay put when it is time for a refill to be sent, so you have an address to send them to.
My husband also carries a paper script for refills but we have not had to use it yet so I don't know if there would be an issue.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
Gklehner -
My husband had his Indiana physician send in a 90 day supply script to a mail order pharmacy. We are full timers so we go back to Indiana yearly for physicals and he get a new script for the year then.
There may be limitations on what class of pain relievers are being filled for a 90 day supply. So far we haven't had a problem. We use a mail service for our mail and have the meds sent there, then they forward them to us where ever we are. If you are not full time, you may have to stay put when it is time for a refill to be sent, so you have an address to send them to.
My husband also carries a paper script for refills but we have not had to use it yet so I don't know if there would be an issue.
Unfortunately my class of medications does not allow mail order and (in AZ) only for one month supply. But I found an Indy Walgreens pharmacy that was willing to fill my out of state scripts as I was a long time Walgreens customer on file with a clean record using the meds for a few years. Problem (this one) solved! And many thanks, a positive and informative response is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #22

At Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, we have gotten them filled, but they had to transfer the prescription to that state, so it takes a few minutes more each time.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #23

It always seems that when this subject comes up, many of the replies are from people that may not be trying to fill prescriptions drugs like Hydrocodone and do not fully understand the issue.

It does take some planning ahead. We have found that having a trusting relationship with your doctor and home pharmacist is the best plan for dealing with it.

My wife's doctor writes post dated prescriptions that we get filled on the road.
Have not had any issue like it can't be filled in certain states.

That said, it does seem that out of town pharmacies might be a little cautious as it typically takes a while to get them filled. I always had the feeling that they might be verifying everything is legit, maybe calling the doctor or something.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Spoken by a person that obviously has zero understanding of living with chronic pain.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please refrain from personal comments and attacks, and let's stay on the topic of this thread: How to obtain prescription narcotic medications while traveling. Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
At Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, we have gotten them filled, but they had to transfer the prescription to that state, so it takes a few minutes more each time.
That is very encouraging information, thank you for posting!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #27

First: Let's drop the name narcotics and call them "controlled substance." In this case, they're legal.

We've been fighting this situation for a few years for my wife. Our doctor recently got called on the carpet by The State for writing too many prescriptions for controlled substances--due to his aged practice (nursing home and home bound patients.) We were asked to go to a real Pain Management Clinic, and the closest one is in the next state--an hour north--for pain meds.

My wife has to take a drug test every other month to make sure she's not taking unprescribed medicines. The nurses count every pill in our possession to make sure she's not taking more meds than prescribed. And for now, we're having to go to the Pain Clinic every month--until they know us better.

You can fill any controlled substance prescription in other states, as it's the DEA number the pharmacies want. If you're on the road camping, the best you can do is get your physician to post date the next prescription. And I would be filling them at CVS/Walgreens type pharmacies that have a nationwide network in case of any problems.

Our biggest problem is getting pharmacies to stock the meds needed, as the manufacturers have cut back seriously on production. Sometimes we have to chase around to different pharmacies just to find required medicines in stock.

This is a real world problem for those with chronic pain requiring prescription pain medicine. Sometimes you just cannot go too far from home if your doctors' visits are required on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Schedule 2 drugs are different from all others when it comes to prescribing, and the rules vary from state to state. I am not a Pharmacist, but after dealing with pharmacy mail order systems for a few years, you can change the delivery address to a temporary address anytime you get a refill, but the caveat is there are 3 states that have laws that will not allow a pharmacy to deliver Schedule 2 drugs anywhere except a home address, and it must be within the state the prescription is written. There are also some states that will only allow a 30 day supply to be dispensed, so a 90 day supply is impossible to obtain. I cannot for the life of me remember which 3 States have the restriction, nor which are 90 day only states, only remember this comes up at every site. I would give a call to the local pharmacy, or the mail order and ask what their policy is.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote