Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Getting Narcotics on the Road

There must be more than a few travelers out there with my problem. I take a combination of narcotics for pain management. Prescriptions are written only for a one month supply (some state I believe still allow up to 3 months - though questionable with the Feds). And of course a prescription can only be filled in the state it was issued (due to differing state laws). Right now I am on relatively low doses which work well and I can enjoy our RV. My problem is when we want to make a long trip (takes us time, we are slow!) I bump into drug refill problems. My options are:
1. Return to AZ every month to refill my meds.
2. Get post dated prescription then have a friend fill and send to us (could be a real bummer if a problem happens 2,000 miles from home).

So tell me, what do you folks in my situation do??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
And of course a prescription can only be filled in the state it was issued (due to differing state laws).

I wrote narcotics Rx daily for 35 years in my dental practice. To write a narcotics Rx a prescriber is required to have both a state license(in the state where treatment is rendered) and a DEA#(federal). Your situation is not an issue that for me ever came up, although I treated many patients from nearby states, and spoke on the phone to pharmacists in those states. My out-of-state patients never had a problem getting my narcotics Rx filled out-of-state.

What is your experience, have you actually been refused narcotic refills out-of-state, or you merely assuming(or have heard) that you can't? I'm not sure that your blanket statement(hi-lighted) is factual. Many(all?) Rx refills can be transferred to any pharmacy in any state. However, perhaps the original handwritten narcotics Rx may not be accepted out-of-state. There may be a difference in some states between original Rx and refill transfer Rx. I'm not sure if there would be some individual state restrictions on transfer of a narcotics Rx, but that could certainly be possible. You may have to deal with each state individually. I would contact one of the national pharmacy chains locally requesting info on transferring narcotic Rx refills to those states where you intend to travel. I would assume!! that type of information is readily available in their computer system nationwide. Another idea would be to phone one of those pharmacies in the specific state where you intend to travel and ask your question there. Please share any information you learn regarding this issue.

We prefer Walgreens over CVS and Walmart, all three have a national presence. From personal experience, Walgreens accepts refill requests online, by phone, or in person to any local Walgreens pharmacy, all very seamless. For us CVS has not been nearly as easy to deal with. No experience with Walmart pharmacy.

Another option would be to have your narcotics Rx filled by one of the mail-order houses that your insurance plan uses, such as Express Scripts. Although they deal with a lot of snowbirds(who stay in one place for months), I wouldn't trust the mail-order houses to get your Rx delivered to your current RV park, especially since you are constantly mobile.

And of course when traveling with narcotics, always keep the pills in the original RX bottle, not in a pill box, so that legitimate possession can be easily verified.

Good luck in your quest, and share your knowledge.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info, I will be in the same boat (MH) when we go fulltime next fall. I kinda figured Walgreen's could handle it.
Thanks again, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had good dealings with CVS for my wife's meds. Get to know your local pharmacist, he can sometimes call and help with distant pharmacist. Once in Jackson Wyoming, the only place we could find was Kmart. Was no problem. We had thought we would have had to go back toward Rawlins.
We always have to think ahead.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the same problem. In Alberta Canada a prescription for narcotics must be filled within three days of date on the prescription.
It is sad that the illegal drug trade has created a real problem. I expect it only to get worse. We have found that there are a lot of Drug stores that will bring in what a person needs. There are signs on the doors of some stores that state what drugs are not carried.
This is to stop the event of a robbery.
My wife after 2 years of narcotics due to fybromialga no longer uses narcotics. She uses over the counter medication as narcotics create other medical complications. When we travel there are over the counter meds that are available in Canada but not in the United States.
Her pain never goes away but she is determined to not use narcotics.
Also our family doctor went on holidays and we went to the clinic to get a prescription refilled and two doctors that have worked in the same clinic refused to fill out a prescription. There reason was they just don't want to be implicated with narcotics. These were very young doctors. My wife's doctor of 12 years understood the the issue. She is a young doctor also.But what a wake up call when her doctor went on holidays.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

Today most prescriptions are emailed (all medical records are now being digitized) from the Dr's office to the pharmacy. If it is a nationwide chain, any one store can pull-up the script on their computer regardless of physical location in the U.S.A. My DW takes a controlled substance, and has never be refused a refill when the script is valid, currently time for an authorized refill, and she presents valid picture ID.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In downtown Detroit there is a pharmacy on the corner any corner. You can get just about anything you want
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

Of you can, get the script sent your insurers mail order pharmacy, like Express Scripts or Optum, for a three month supply.
Be aware that scripts for controlled substances can only be transferred ONCE regardless of the number of refills left on the script. Example, if you get a script for five refills and you have it filled at CVS X and next month have it transferred to CVS Y you cannot transfer that script again. Not even back to to the first Pharmacy. Same for all pharmacies.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I know the reason for this is to get prescription meds. But the way the thread is worded, "how to get narcotics on the road". Struck me as very funny.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I know the reason for this is to get prescription meds. But the way the thread is worded, "how to get narcotics on the road". Struck me as very funny.
There is nothing funny about this. They are referred to as Narcotics. If (prescription drugs) were used than most people would not understand the meaning of the thread. These drugs a really closely controlled. Getting them on the road could very well become a nightmare. For some people living without them it is a night mare of pain and suffering

I really hope you are not laughing at people with pain! People who have been injured or have come through wars need relief. And unfortunately no matter how much we don't like the term they are Narcotics not Aspirins.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
There is nothing funny about this. They are referred to as Narcotics. If (prescription drugs) were used than most people would not understand the meaning of the thread. These drugs a really closely controlled. Getting them on the road could very well become a nightmare. For some people living without them it is a night mare of pain and suffering

I really hope you are not laughing at people with pain! People who have been injured or have come through wars need relief. And unfortunately no matter how much we don't like the term they are Narcotics not Aspirins.
Get off your high horse & get a life. I thought it was funny too. The Title, that is.

Reg
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #12

Never had any problem getting my meds at any Target, after getting first prescription filled at a Target Pharmacy.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just retired and DW just went on Medicare with a Part D plan. We are moving all our Rx's to WalMart since we figured we can get refills most anywhere we travel. DW's rheumatologist just gave her new Rx's for WalMart but our local WalMart said one of her Rx's (a controlled drug) can only be refilled at the local WalMart. Fortunately, her doc did write for a 90 day supply so that will work since we will likely only travel 2 -3 months at a time.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #14

narcotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
Get off your high horse & get a life. I thought it was funny too. The Title, that is.

Reg
X-2 Hmmm makes one wonder how many are driving the moho and on narcotics ?? I think folks with this much pain should stay home and not be trying to drive and seek fun. Pain is no fun and if I had it a moho is the last place I would be in.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote