Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I hope you are feeling better soon, Annette!

For over 30 years I was in the travel business, during that time a very similar line of thinking happened. A couple would tell me about 'the' trip the were going to take when they retired. All too often either that trip never materialized due to illness or death, or only one of them made it. So heartbreaking....I have dozens of postcards that say, "Sam would have loved this" ......
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #16

I was told by one of my Uncles this and I quote " Growing old is not for sissies".
Good Luck on your medical issues with both of you. It seems that when you hit 65 or so things start to break down for us.
I have had open heart surgery; double by-pass. Than a total left knee replacement this year. My wife has had back surgery last year and she is now looking at a Hip replacement along with Carpal tunnel issues with both wrists. She turned 65 last year.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and encouragement!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #18

Getting old is like frying bacon naked, you know it's gonna hurt but you are never sure where!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Reading these posts is reinforcing my decision to retire early at 63. We won't have as much money saved, but we're both in excellent health and can't wait to start traveling. Is it July 1, yet?

Good luck Annette!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, we waited for retirement, but life got in the way, daughter died so we ended up with two grandkids to raise, one still with me.
The DW was finally diagnosed with liver cancer, got lucky and got a liver transplant on July 4th and she died on Aug 21st of "Graft Vs Host Disease" caused by the new liver.
I've been out a couple times but it's not the same without her. Not sure yet what I'll end up doing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seen this on FB thought it was fairly accurate,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	147825  
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
Getting old is like frying bacon naked, you know it's gonna hurt but you are never sure where!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Seen this on FB thought it was fairly accurate,,

Yup, they nailed it!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seeing that my parents didn't have much in the way of "golden" retirement years due to health issues, I retired a year ago at 61 while in still excellent health. I have absolutely no regrets! I'm having a ball!

Best wishes for a full recovery to enjoy things on the road, Annette!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #25

Which is a major part of why, after trying to full-time for over 3 years, we decided to go back to a much smaller residence in a 55+ community & 'settle' for extended ventures instead. Our plan is to be on the road 3 out of every 6 months. One of my biggest problems was putting on weight. I could not find a way to consistently get the kind of serious exercise I used to, but still ate (& ok, a beer or 2) like I always did. Retired at 6'3" & a rock solid 238lbs. Ballooned up to 252 of blubber after wintering in the Gulf Coast the very first year. For the first time ever, blood chemistry was starting to get iffy. We still had to be in So Cal at least twice a year for DDS & MD visits anyway.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #26

We're both still working full time but our camping plans have had to change a few times over the past two years as we have been supporting my Mom and Dad through their declining health. Mom died in August and Dad has several different things going on medically. Watching them retire and age has solidified it with me - I will retire as soon as possible and enjoy the heck out of life!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #27

I'd like to join the crowd to wish you both better health in the New Year. May the ankle repair go well and the back heal soon.

Everyone's situation is different, but I would suggest that if you like to, travel as much as possible before retirement. Don't wait for retirement, but start now. None of us know what tomorrow will bring.

We traveled for many years before retiring, albeit on a shoestring with an old diesel TC that I cobbled together. We were very blessed and the few problems we had on the road I was able to fix myself. There were also some very nice people who helped a few times, and I am thankful for that. When I could retire at 55 in '94 I was concerned about finances, but we talked about our situation and decided to go for it. The year before we had upgraded to a much newer diesel TC. IMHO, that was the most economical way to travel and we did a lot of it. We didn't want to full time, although we discussed it, so the TC worked great for us. Now, looking back at ages 77 and 70, I don't think either of us would change a thing.

Wishing everyone all the best in the New Year.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #28

Old, but still trying!

I feel for you older folks and you're health probs. Last year, I renovated a small 5th wheel, and in Feb, we traveled to Springfield Mo for a family reunion.
When we got there, lo and behold, there was an Alumacraft 5er, obviously in poor condition, setting in the yard. My niece and her DH, had purchased it new, and after a few years had just parked it. To make a long story short, my son and I made a fast round trip and brought it home. Probably should have looked at it a little closer, but I'm slowly getting it rebuilt. I've experienced back surgery, knee & hip replacement, & shortly after returning home with the 5er, had the 2nd hip replaced. Somehow, they managed to cause that hip to dislocate when they brought me from surgery to recovery. I'm slowly recovering, but @ 78 it ain't fast. DW and I manage to put in a few hours each week on he camper, as well as attend Silver Sneakers @ the local gym. Bound determined to get back on the road, even if it is limited to local camping trips.
What would one do without a dedicated spouse?
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote