Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">November 2004

Secondhand smoke, also know as environmental tobacco smoke, is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar and the smoke exhaled from the lungs of smokers. It is involuntarily inhaled by nonsmokers, lingers in the air hours after cigarettes have been extinguished and can cause or exacerbates a wide range of adverse health effects, including cancer, respiratory infections, and asthma.
Secondhand smoke has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a known cause of cancer in humans (Group A carcinogen).
Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths and 35,000 heart disease deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year.
A study found that nonsmokers exposed to environmental smoke were 25 percent more likely to have coronary heart diseases compared to nonsmokers not exposed to smoke.
Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at work are at increased risk for adverse health effects. Levels of ETS in restaurants and bars were found to be 2 to 5 times higher than in residences with smokers and 2 to 6 times higher than in office workplaces.
Since 1999, 70 percent of the U.S. workforce worked under a smoke-free policy, ranging from 83.9 percent in Utah to 48.7 percent in Nevada.6 Workplace productivity was increased and absenteeism was decreased among former smokers compared with current smokers.
Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 1,900 to 2,700 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.
Secondhand smoke exposure may cause buildup of fluid in the middle ear, resulting in 700,000 to 1.6 million physician office visits per year. Secondhand smoke can also aggravate symptoms in 200,000 to 1,000,000 children with asthma.
In the United States, 21 million, or 35 percent of, children live in homes where residents or visitors smoke in the home on a regular basis.11 Approximately 50-75 percent of children in the United States have detectable levels of cotinine, the breakdown product of nicotine in the blood.
New research indicates that secret research conducted by cigarette company Philip Morris in the 1980s showed that secondhand smoke was highly toxic, yet the company suppressed the finding during the next two decades.
For more information on secondhand smoke, please review the Tobacco Morbidity and Mortality Trend Report as well as our Lung Disease Data publication in the Data and Statistics section of our website, or call the American Lung Association at 1-800-LUNG-USA (1-800-586-4872).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm. Reckon the folks in #2 were just faking?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
I know some of you won't agree but these people easily qualify as <span class="ev_code_RED">Sick and Sad</span>!

Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice choice of word there Michael, sounds a little familiar. The fact that people want to protest is a perfect form of dissention. The venues these sickos use is a shame. The fact that these bikers showed up might have been enough to keep these people in check and had them do a doubletake on there "strong convictions".

I think global warming is real. I do believe that the Earth has gone thru this type of warming in the past. It might be a cycle or it might be us. I'm going to put my money on us.

No one wants to give up cars - stupid statement but lets face it. Anyone who thinks were going to come up with the answer here is kidding themselves. It all starts at home with the choices we make on purchasing energey efficient or power consuming products.

We have made great strides. Back in the 70's before the embargo we would get 7-10 mpg and think that was great. We now have cars over 40 mpg and unleaded gasoline. The trucking industry no longer has those rigs going down the road belching out black smoke and leaking oil.

We will get there one day! We are reactionist when it comes to the world stage. We should be Proactive when it comes to research and development of zero emissions and hybrid cars and trucks. Let's do something more about that.

The nation that put a man on the moon, came up with the internet, invented lighting, flew the first plane, made telephones and cellphone, came up with the PC and a whole host of things will crack this nut too. We need to pull together and get cracking on it.

The glass is half full! Don't drain your personal strenght by believing in anything less. The half empty crowd see's doom and gloom behind every storm. Look forward, think postively and live a longer life with less stress.

If you don't like where something is heading donate to a PAC or a Politician who shares your beliefs! If your on the "left" "right" or down the "middle" make a choice. Vote or don't complain, believe it or not "we got the power"

No, I'm not kidding myself. I just don't want to get bogged down in self pitty or sap my strenght by thinking we are helpless!

460 EFI C6 Transmission
TruckMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #17

I agree with TruckMechanic; Seeing the glass as Half Empty or Full is merly one's prespective. In my opinion what we all should do is not accept....... "That is the Way Things Are, Accept Reality"

If it is wrong....... "It's Wrong" I for one would easily accept paying "the price" now rather getting to the point that our money would not buy the solution. This country is so far in debt as it is, it is only relative to "can we afford it". I say we can not "not afford it". I read somewhere recently that if we recalled every single dollar this Great Country we live has in circulation........ it would not pay off all monies owed......... HUH?

Just a quick comment regarding this Port Secuity issue. Being in the business of importing products, I know that if one of my comtainers goes to inspection/xray, I will not see it for another week on top of the normal processing. If we only inspect 5% of what comes into our ports, doing them all would shut this country down in a heart beat. Okay, say we do, the bad guys would just find another way. Simple fact is there is just no feasible way we could ever protect this country 100%

What we could do though........ is change our forign policies to the extent that we no longer upset people all over the world. We would not need HomeLand Security, everybody would love us and not mean the fine American People of the is country any harm. This current adminstration has brought about an all time low in world opinion against us.

I say lets work to "fill the glass full", cause chances are good that this is going to be a lot of work, and we are going to be thirsty.

Take care,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The way that an engineer looks at the 1/2 full or 1/2 empty glass issue is the easy solution...The glass is twice as large as it needs to be. So simply make the glass smaller (1/2 the size) and it will be full.

Ken
Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Global warming and alternative fuel sources. The problem with alternative fuel sources is the cost of production and delivery. Currently there is no reasonable source to replace gasoline. It packs the 125K Btu/gallon and #2 diesel 139K Btu/gallon. Batteries still lack the power to come close to gasoline, and Hydrogen, check these links. And the problem is all alternative sources are produced mostly from fossil fuels.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/echronicle/a...speech2004.pdf

http://www.iahe.org/advisory.asp?did=3

France produces 78% of its electricity from nuclear reactors. See the links above for the validity of this statement.

Now if some of us have such strong feelings about global warming and the internal combustion engine, then why are we driving RV's. Kind of like a vegan wearing leather shoes.

I think our strategy aganist the terrorists should be like the words of a great man.

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."

- Ronald Reagan
Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Here's some alternative information about glaciers: Glaciers This information is not available on CBS NBC ABC CNN Current TV, or Link TV.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 AM   #21

I know some of you only want to get your news from Fox, but those of you who might have watched CNN today may have caught the story about lung cancer. Lung cancer in the US killed more people than were killed in the Tsunami last year. Yet some continue to believe and can find studies somewhere to back them up that says smoking is not hazardous to your health. Personally if I'm around smokers in a confined space sometimes even outdoors sometimes I get terrible headaches. That's enough evidence for me that even second hand smoke is hazardous to my health.

What I really don't understand is the conservative opposition to Climatic change due to Global warming. I would hope at least that most of us understand that we can't simply dump our black water tank into the stream running behind out RV? Among credible scientists there is no debate about air pollution. I'm guessing we are all average Americans and would only benefit from cleaner air. It's obvious that Bush is opposed but I understand his opposition. It's economic as the companies who financed his election are opposed, but why are you opposed? Does that also explain his response to Katrina?

In my opinion we must replace the internal combustion engine. Some say it can't be done. My question is why is that? Did you might happen to catch Bush's speech at an alternative energy research company in Colorado? Funding had been cut so they had to lay off 31 people. Just prior to his speech by some miracle they found $5 million. Can you just imagine the progress we might make on alternative fuels if we were to spend say a quarter of the amount on research that we spend each year to invade and destroy countries we don't like?

It's time to get off the box, the sea is calling me. Good day to everyone.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow this is some heavey stuff ! At 56 yrs old I don't think I have enough time left to waste debating these issues. Half empty, Half full, **** lets drink the whole thing. Do what you want to do, but do no harm to others is a good life moto. I paid my dues, I'm using all the fossil fuel I need until I leave this earth, let the young ones find the salutions. As a Vet and a life long biker I would lose my mind if I ever saw anyone defile a fallen brother or sister or there family, I wouldnt care who they represented they would only represent a bunch of yellow cowards to me, meaning they have no value! Come on everybody lets live it up and party til its over. I know I've seen ****, now I want my little peace of heaven.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Michael, do you have a link to the people in Colorado working on the alternative energy? I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Michael, do you have a link to the people in Colorado working on the alternative energy? I can't find it.

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, sorry I don't. However, it was on CNN Headline news so I'm guessing it made most of the news media. It was one of his last speeches after the state of the union where he called for more research on energy alternatives. As I recall it was about 2 weeks ago.

I'd take a moment to search it out but I've really gotten into that Mexican vacation attitude. I'm loosing all my ambition! Justme13 I'm just guessing you'd be in heaven here.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you believe everything you read and hear, we should have all died many many years ago. Life goes on! Climate is cyclical, always has been.
Read about the potential for a catastrophic Volcano eruption in Yellowstone. They predict it will split earth. We can't control everything.

If you want to worry about something, worry about the Fact that China has brought up most of the DEBT of the USA. This can have a big financial effect on our future.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
Michael - Oh great. I'm up here freezing my butt off trying to do research and you're down there kicken' back with "la cerveza". Oh well.

rogueii, Yellowstone isn't suppose to blow for a few more years. At least that's what the Mount St. Helen's volcanologist say. My cabin in Wyoming is in the 10 feet of volcanic ash zone. I can't believe some of the stuff on TV.

Back in th 70's Japan bought up all our (USA) assets and they're still trying to recover economically.

Now India - there's an economic threat for people who like to worry.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Wow this is some heavey stuff ! At 56 yrs old I don't think I have enough time left to waste debating these issues. Half empty, Half full, **** lets drink the whole thing. Do what you want to do, but do no harm to others is a good life moto. I paid my dues, I'm using all the fossil fuel I need until I leave this earth, let the young ones find the salutions. As a Vet and a life long biker I would lose my mind if I ever saw anyone defile a fallen brother or sister or there family, I wouldnt care who they represented they would only represent a bunch of yellow cowards to me, meaning they have no value! Come on everybody lets live it up and party til its over. I know I've seen ****, now I want my little peace of heaven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drank a beer to the bikers! It may be wrong, **** it would be...but, I would just as soon beat the protesters to a bloody pulp!!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Terry some things are just so wrong, they make ya do something !!!! Have another beer

Vegas, I've been lookin at ole mexico, and just today I was researching Chile.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote