Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #29
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webster:
If anyone can give me the study and findings that were done which proves it, then I'm big enough to say I was wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are still waiting..........

I grew up in a family of heavy smokers. I have never smoked, but I have severe respiratory and cardiovascular problems just like those of heavy smokers, and severe allergic reactions to smoke. If you don't, then you are lucky.

Dana Reeve, who was a singer in nightclubs filled with smoke, paid the ultimate price for someone elses unhealthy habit.

Those who smoke do not inhale the hot smoke as deeply as the innocent bystander who thinks he/she is breathing clean air.

I cannot blame my family, because they just didn't know in those days how harmful cigarette smoke is. However, I have a real problem with those who present themselves as informed individuals and ignore what is well documented evidence that their cigarette smoke is harmful to those around them.

We shouldn't have to ask you to not smoke. You should be considerate enough to only smoke in private.

Click on the link to see our new Snowbird Home....

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
I asked my daughter who is in her 3rd year of med school how they come up with the numbers regarding the 2nd hand smoke facts.

Here's the explanation......Let's say the take 100 people who have never smoked and weren't around second hand smoke. Lung cancer rate is 1/100. Now they take 100 people who have been around second hand smoke(maybe parents smoked) and the lung cancer rate is 3/100. It's called data extrapolation. That's how they figure 3000 deaths per year. Seems logical. I'll believe her since she's in school and I'm not.

The numbers are just an example and not statistically correct. My counselor told me to add that last line.

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The most recent high profile victim of 2nd hand smoked is the wife of Christopher Reeve, Dana. Never smoke a day in her life, but did work as a singer in night clubs that were loaded with 2nd-hand smoke.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
The way I understand it, to say Dana died of second hand smoke would be an assumption, not a fact. But put her in the group of lung cancer victims, and her death would be counted as one of the 3000. But I don't think science can single out her death and say, "Second hand smoke did it.". She could never have been around smoke and still contracted lung cancer, but, statistics point to second hand smoke.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #33
WOW...this has certainly been thought provoking. Gets the old brain cells vibrating.

First, I never said that smoking was healthy...it ain't...we've always known that which is why women are told to not smoke during pregnancy. Someone said something about "smoking in private"...absolutely...This is America and we all have the right to our opinions, but to force them onto others is not right...the religious fanatics...etc. At the same time a study was done in the U.S., a study was also done in England and Japan, but the U.S. one proved second-hand smoke causes cancer...the others didn't. If so many people are not smoking any longer, then why are people still dying of lung cancer...could it be that something else also causes lung cancer? As for Dana, Tom is correct, you can't blame it on second-hand smoke. She never smoked and she has sung in nightclubs for over 13 years nor did she do it for that long. Also, except for Vegas, most nightclubs and bars are now smoke-free. Again, I'm not saying that smoking is healthy, just don't tell me how I HAVE to take care of myself. I an 100% disabled and smoking didn't have a thing to do with it...Agent Orange did. It was used in RVN for a good six months after it was outlawed in the United States back in the early 70s.

As for the Arabs maintain the ports...think about this. Who manages the loading and unloading of ports along the west coast? China! Also, there are many other ports done by other countries. Did you know that 80% of the supplies used by the military are done by foreign countries?

And, I agree that if we can do what we did with cell phones and going to the moon, why don't we have a better fuel system? Could it be that the oil companies would lose money? One said that Greed is the biggest problem in this country...absolutely!

I would like to talk a bit more, but I have to go to Palo Alto VA for my kidneys (a side effect of AO), but I'll be on here tomorrow.

I really enjoyed some of the comments...gets the old blood flowing and it shows that our minds are still working...I love a good discussion!

<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote