Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Kind of off topic but the first time I heard the cliche "global economy" was from a co-worker who owned the only foreign car in our work location's parking lot. This was many years ago and I figured it was a BS excuse to cheap out, buy whatever he wanted without regard for American workers.

Rant turned off now.

BTW My SUV was made in Texas, our 2 motorcycles in Milwaukee, boat in Florida and I'll give you this one DW's car in Canada (Dodge). Like the Canadians though eh!

Sure it is tough to find U.S. made stuff sometimes. I am sure the laptop I am typing on was not but we do try and if it makes one more job here and we all try that just think what could happen.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
This report is a waaay too biased and misleading....they scare you with the "7 out of 10 vehicles are made outside the US" stat, so you think all the manufacturing is going to China. What they they completely fail to mention is that the Camaro, Impala, Equinox, GMC Terrain and now the Buick Regal are all made in Canada. The Aveo, Cadillac SRX, and many of the Silverados, Sierras, Avalanche, Suburban/Escalade etc are made in Mexico, the Caprice is Australian....and I can go on. So is China the only issue?? Is the US now facing outsourced manufacturing, seeing American products built elsewhere?? Nope! Although I agree that outsourcing has become a problem, it's been this way for 20++ years now.

Part of what is happening is GM is ramping up Asian production for the Asia market. Take the Chevy Cruze for example. It's built almost everywhere the US to Vietnam, and each plant services its respective market. I do agree that China is sketchy, and GM is being a bit greasy in their tactics to lure prospective business though.

Go buy a Dodge!
I watch hundreds of Suburbans and Escalades leave the plant right here in Arlington, Texas each week. I didn't know GM also assembled them in Mexico as well. My Avalance (2003) was assembled in Mexico, a great vehicle.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I watch hundreds of Suburbans and Escalades leave the plant right here in Arlington, Texas each week. I didn't know GM also assembled them in Mexico as well. My Avalance (2003) was assembled in Mexico, a great vehicle.
Mine is an Escalade. Although it is an older one I did buy it new and there is a sticker right inside the door that it was made in Texas. We bought it off the lot so I knew right away. I know I can't save the country but I will do a little if I can.

Oh I forgot our MH was built in Forest City, IA on a chassis made in Gaffney, SC. Yes I sound like a broken record but that is just how I feel. There may become a day when there is no hope to find American made products. Then what will we do for jobs?

As for the foreign companies that open plants here. Do they make vehicles here or assemble them (without me researching it for a change)? I am happy to see new jobs at them BTW. Better than the whole enchilada (pun intended) going out of the country.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Mine is an Escalade. Although it is an older one I did buy it new and there is a sticker right inside the door that it was made in Texas. We bought it off the lot so I knew right away. I know I can't save the country but I will do a little if I can.

Oh I forgot our MH was built in Forest City, IA on a chassis made in Gaffney, SC. Yes I sound like a broken record but that is just how I feel. There may become a day when there is no hope to find American made products. Then what will we do for jobs?

As for the foreign companies that open plants here. Do they make vehicles here or assemble them (without me researching it for a change)? I am happy to see new jobs at them BTW. Better than the whole enchilada (pun intended) going out of the country.
Depends on the car. Some cars are only assembled in North America from stampings that come from foreign sources. And as for you Caddi, some are made in the USA, some aren't. Half of the EXTs are Mexican. Dodge used to be the same way, half of their Quad Cab Rams were from Mexico. There's no difference though...after all, machines do much of the work.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #47

Quote:
As for the foreign companies that open plants here. Do they make vehicles here or assemble them
The percentage of America made is right on the sticker. It is about the same for a transplant as a Detroit car. The transplants companies are much more automated and use fewer workers and therefore the value is greater. Their workers are very satisfied and they have huge waiting lists for employment.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #48

Again I say, the video is cut to make you think 7 of 10 GM vehicles are made in China. 7 of 10 GM vehicles sold in China are made in China, this is the fact.
In 2011 GM imported 17,335 vehicles into the US from China.
In the first half of 2011, GM sold more cars in China — 1.27 million — than it did in the U.S., with 1.26 million cars sold.
The window sticker on the car tells you where the car is assembled, where the engine is made and where the transmission is made.
The video is misleading.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Again I say, the video is cut to make you think 7 of 10 GM vehicles are made in China. 7 of 10 GM vehicles sold in China are made in China, this is the fact.
In 2011 GM imported 17,335 vehicles into the US from China.
In the first half of 2011, GM sold more cars in China 1.27 million than it did in the U.S., with 1.26 million cars sold.
The window sticker on the car tells you where the car is assembled, where the engine is made and where the transmission is made.
The video is misleading.

^ yep, I agree. Pretty much what I was referring to in my first post. Many GMs are built in Canada, Mexico, and Australia (fewer from AU now that Saturn & Ponti are gone)
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
It's great. Not only is it needed for balance of trade (sure would be nice if they imported US built cars, but there's not so much of that anywhere these days), but when was the last time you saw a US manufacturer scrapping it out with the Europeans and Japanese anywhere other than North America?

I'm so tired of people bitching about the bailouts. At least the auto industry employs hundreds of thousands of middle class folks here in the US. Consider where the bailout money in the financial district went - back to the people that caused it all. Without that bailout money your domestic option would be Ford, Ford, and another Ford. And they barely dodged the bullet.

I was just down at Home Depot looking at tools. Milwaukee is now made in China. I used to figure the cost delta between their stuff and the rest was worth employing folks here in the USA, but now that they're made with the same low-cost labor, how can they justify the price difference?
People complain about the bailouts because they shouldn't have happened, period. When the car replaced the horse and buggy what happened to those dominating companies, they were bought out and one of them which was famous became Fischer which made bodies for GM.

Companies were never considered too big or too important to fail, they failed and new companies emerged that learned the lessons of the failed ones.

Today we bail selective companies out and they learn nothing from it, so I'll continue to complain about them, so will many others.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
People complain about the bailouts because they shouldn't have happened, period. When the car replaced the horse and buggy what happened to those dominating companies, they were bought out and one of them which was famous became Fischer which made bodies for GM.

Companies were never considered too big or too important to fail, they failed and new companies emerged that learned the lessons of the failed ones.

Today we bail selective companies out and they learn nothing from it, so I'll continue to complain about them, so will many others.

They do learn something though. They learn how to pocket their gains and spread their losses out over the taxpayers.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #52

Lets see if I can follow the math:
1) GM employs 202,000 workers worldwide per Wikipedia, lets be stupid generous and say 150,000 in the U.S.
2) GM didn't pay back about $45 billion of TARP1 funds
3) Geitner placed $45 billion in "tax benefits" i.e. tax freedom (i.e. taxes it was pre-forgiven, and therefore new subsidies written out of thin air and never approved by Congress) on GM's books so the stock would be worth something when it IPO'd
4) stock still $35 billion underwater (estimated above, not sure of source but I'm sure we're still way underwater)

Sooooo, lets do the simple math:
$45b + $45b + $35b = $125 billion GM owes us.
$125 billion / 150,000 U.S. employees = $833,333 per (overestimated) U.S. job that GM still owes us.
Priceless.
Since GM is supposedly making so much money, when are they paying us the $125 billion? Can't call it a dividend, since it was our money. Can't call it profit, since it wasn't their money in the first place, it was & is ours. Just be nice if they'd write the check. Don'tcha think?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Most of the money made on "Made in China" goods goes into the pockets of the American Companies that sell those products to us.

We're a service economy, folks...the "service" being the ever-escalating consumption of goods we've been trained to think we need.