Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #29

You wanna cool the earth back down a little... Drop a few kilotonnes of bombs in really sandy areas and all the atmospheric dust will block the suns rays for a while and we will cool. It happened in the late 1940s and '50s with all the above-ground nuclear testing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
You wanna cool the earth back down a little... Drop a few kilotonnes of bombs in really sandy areas and all the atmospheric dust will block the suns rays for a while and we will cool. It happened in the late 1940s and '50s with all the above-ground nuclear testing.
Right, just like the oil fires in Kuwait were going to destroy all the worlds crops and send us into an ice age and mass starvation.

What could work is harvesting all the ice falling into the ocean. The 2 main benefits:
1) Increased fresh water supply
2) Lower sea levels

Win-Win

You’re welcome, no charge.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
17 Oaks,

I meant to address your question about having a self contained EV MH with a 4KW solar array. But first let me share what I learned about hydrogen fuel cell cars today. I had lunch with friends today and got a look at their new Toyota Mirai, a hydrogen fuel cell passenger car. Part of the incentive to purchase the vehicle was a $9,000 credit and a $15,000 pre-paid fuel card. Sounds good so far, right? They had just fueled the car for $80, this allows the car to travel approximately 240 miles. Some math reveals that $80 would buy 20 gallons of gas at $4/gal. That equals 12mpg for a gas vehicle. $2 gas would equal 6mpg. Do we see a problem here? Apparently motorcycle riders are not fond of the vehicles as they spew water on the ground without warning.

Now to the EV question. First, we are taking about an imaginary vehicle at this point. The best we have to go on is a soon to be released German, Sprinter sized EV MH. According to their information it has a 91KWh battery bank and a range of approximately 100 miles. This indicates that roughly 1KWh of battery capacity is required to move the vehicle 1 mile down the road. If we assume lithium batteries and use 80% of capacity, we will need to put more than 70KWh’s back in the tank. While still in the development stages, i would imagine the Winnebago version has a similar range and battery capacity.

Now, on to the 4KW solar array. In the real world it will create about 3.5KW. That is in full mid-day sun on a clear summer day. The good news it that it will provide 3.5KW per hour, the bad news is that we need 70, so we’re looking at a 20 hour recharge time. Best case 2 sunny days, this is of course if you do not use the A/C, heat, refrigerator, cook top, microwave, TV, hot water or any other electric devices in the coach for those 2 days. Then you’ll be ready to go another 80 miles.

I’d recommend having a 12K diesel generator and a good supply of fuel on such a vehicle.

Finally, you would be better served by starting a thread on the Going Green forum to gain more insight into the solar/EV world. You’ll be a quick study with your consulting and economics background.
Thanks, appreciate that overview

There is a take away on this and what I think it is: EV, not ready for prime time with some exceptions.

IF miles and weight are your game, EV is not a player at your table.

Last week in my life: Most of it was spent on a John Deere (diesel) moving untold tons of dirt. Had to pick up and implement for my John Deere so had to load it on my big trailer, go over hook up and come back. In addition I burned about 12,000 lbs of wood from clearing here on my place. This means a tree has to be cut and moved to the burn pit, a LOT of tractor and trailer loads.

Then the trip up north to pick up some heavy stuff; hooking up my F 350 Crew cab, long bed, King Ranch Ford truck, diesel with 935 lbs of torque. On that trip of about 350 mi rd trip I got 16.2 mpg.

I pull my 5th about 25 times a year, time I load it up and wife loads it up we are up around 14,000 lbs, again I call on my F 350 for duty. MPG varies from high 9's to low 12's, depending upon city traffic (Houston or Dallas), wind, weather and a plethora factors.

Bottom line is everything I do involves weight and miles and EV just simply is not likely to be a consideration in my world. Even my wife, we live 40 mi from the nearest large town.

So I am not a candidate for EV, but I am sure LOT's of people are. Let capitalism work it's magic and it will see to it that efficiency is delivered to the right people, instead of trying to cram down our throats what, when and how.

FACT: 31% of the cars sold in Norway are EV.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #32

17 Oaks, I agree, let capitalism do its thing. It's worked for nearly 243 years and still going. I really hope things work out, IMO there is a point where planet-based fuels, as we know them today, will be depleted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #33

What drives the EV march?
As in Watergate (if you're old enough to remember) - FOLLOW THE MONEY
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
17 Oaks, I agree, let capitalism do its thing. It's worked for nearly 243 years and still going. I really hope things work out, IMO there is a point where planet-based fuels, as we know them today, will be depleted.
I am an Uber capitalist, started my first company in 1969 after I got back from Vietnam and I have started many since. I am in my 8th year of the company I started back in April of '11, its done very well for me. Capitalism WORKS and works for all if it's allow to.

Govt has 2 jobs and 2 jobs only in the world of the US Economy:

1) Insure fair and open competition

2) Insure that NO company ever get's to big to fail or that no individuals ever get to big to fail.

Given that, let's review:

1) Partial fail due to rules, regs and barriers to start and grow your business

2) [Moderator Edit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
What drives the EV march?
As in Watergate (if you're old enough to remember) - FOLLOW THE MONEY
X 2!!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Capitalism? Do you mean: an economic and political system in which a country’s trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state? [Mod Edit]
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #36
Community Administrator

A few political , off topic and personal attacks have again been removed. It’s time to move on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread