Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
George, Cynthia et. al.: It was fun to see a post from someone else interested in prospecting. Wife, Lynette, and I REALLY caught the "bug" on our trip to Alaska last summer. Trouble is, we didn't get into it until late in the summer and I'll tell ya...on our next trip up there you'll likely find us sittin on a rock in some stream with our pick/shovel and just a pannin away. IT'S SO DOGGONE MUCH FUN...WE CAN'T WAIT! Like Gracies Mom said, it'd be kinda fun hookin up with other RV'rs from time to time lookin for the GOLD!! We have seen the Gold Panning Show on T.V. but not big "joiners". Who knows, maybe we'll hook up sometime. Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
If you get to the Southeast don't miss Dahlonega, GA. Not only is it a great area but it is the site of the first gold rush in the USA. We panned for gold and sluiced for gems all at the sme place and had a great time doing it. The town of Dahlonega, small and very nice, has a gold museum, operated by the state. It is housed in the oldest courthouse in the state and sits in the middle of the square downtown.

The saying "There's gold in them thar hills" was originally spoken by Mark Twain when he visited Dahlonega.

When we were there we stayed in Etowah River CG, just outside of Dahlonega. Slow in and out and you're in a big field but great 50Amp, FHU and cable all for 75.00 a week with PA.

We will return. Mike

"Home is where we park it" SEMPER FI
Winnie 30 RESS UltraLite TT 2015
Ford F250 XLT 2015
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
I already found the Lost Dutchman Mine. I used some of the huge nuggets I found there to buy my new coach . I made a small 1 YPH trommel that works really well but needs lots of water, and have several sluice boxes. Did cyanide heap leaching in the Nevada desert for years. Talk about fun times.
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Tony and I have talked about doing some gold-huntin'... haven't done it yet, but I'm glad to hear Durango, CO is an option as we are moving up to our place in Dolores, CO full time next week! (About an hour from Durango). Maybe we can do some panning!

Brenda, of...
Brenda & Tony, traveling with Chocolate Lab Cadbury and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Rossi, Hayden, Millie, & Hercules... towing an assortment of motorcycles!
bsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
I've got the fever and live where there is plenty to be had, just hard to find. I know where gem quality garnets are abundant.

I try to look for gold where they have found it before. Lot's of old mines and tailings. I also take m heavily modified 4x4 where most do not dare to go and if they do I charge $700 to extract them out. Holcomb Valley, Rattlesnake Canyon, White Valley, Arrastre Creek and even Horse Thief Flats.

Come on over.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Tell me more Forest!! I'd love to find garnets - they're my birthstone. I found one in Alaska . . . thrills!! Does anyone have a metal detector? I'm shopping around for one now and there are so many models, so many options. It's kinda confusing. I want something to detect gold when I'm gold panning and digging through the rocks . . . but I'd also like it to detect old coins, bullets, etc.
GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
I have a White Gold Detector. I live in Big Bear where the Holcomb Valley Gold Rush occurred in the 1860's. If I were to take a short jeep trip today I would see about 20 prospectors. The mother lode was never found.

The Rose mine to the east was a huge producer and the next hill across from me is called Gold Mt. next to the Baldwin Mine. There is a producing mine just below the Baldwin. Just about any direction you go from my house you can find gold and old producers. Rattlesnake Canyon is an excellent example - do a Google search and add San Bernardino County. Searching tailings can be productive. I know of many old mines just below us in the Mojave Desert.

To get away from the crowd you will need a 4x4 such as a jeep or the new Toyota that has 32 or 33" tires. Lockers are good too. Both are factory road tested on Gold Mt. before production. If they can't make it through the Quarry they go back to design. The pre production FJ didn't make it and the Rubicon did. BTW.

Garnets are often found associated with gold. If you run a sluice in Jacoby you will find small garnets hopefully with a nugget or two.

If you want just garnet I know of a hillside that basically is garnet. They weather out of the hard rock and can be picked up or you can take samples in their rock. I took a group of six out last week end and we picked hundreds.

Problem is it, like many other good picking areas (gold included) are accessible only by black diamond rated roads and require a built up 4x4 and a skilled driver.

If you ever come this way let me know and I'll arrange an outing to the garnets with some others for safety reasons. Never do black diamond alone.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #22
You'll have to do your own huntin', but I'll give you some tips. Depending on what your lil' ol' heart desires; places I have had success:

Gold: Stephens Gulch, CO; Dahlonega, GA
Diamonds: Murfreesboro, AR
Topaz, garnet, ruby: Franklin, NC
Rock Crystal (quartz): Mt. Ida / Hot Springs / rural Saline and Montgomery Co., AR
Emeralds: Little Switzerland, NC

Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote