Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #1

Are there any gold prospectors out there? I haven't done it in a few years, but am looking forward to it all across the country when we start fulltiming very soon. I live in the Gold Country of California and have had some experience finding the elusive stuff. Anxious to go to AZ this winter to do a bit of prospecting.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #2

Are there any gold prospectors out there? I haven't done it in a few years, but am looking forward to it all across the country when we start fulltiming very soon. I live in the Gold Country of California and have had some experience finding the elusive stuff. Anxious to go to AZ this winter to do a bit of prospecting.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 06-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #3

Im not a miner, or even a searcher of gold but my brother in law bruce, had come out a few years ago to go up to Black Canyon City for for this prospector group he paid to be in, they had i believe Druged the area and the found some gold.. but the biggest piece he was given by the accosiation they picked him he was all excited hes from Pennsylvania far from any gold
when ya come to arizona let me know...
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #4

Well now, I shore will let yer know when we'uns are in Arizony...Teach ya how to pan fer the gold stuff.

It sounds like your brother belonged to the Gold Prospectors of America Association located in Temecula, CA. I knew the founder, George Massey. He died a few years ago, but his sons carry on. They started the Outdoor Channel and periodically there is a Gold Show on it. Just watched it this a.m.

Most people don't know it, but there's gold in nearly every state. The first gold rush was NOT in CA, but in Georgia in 1828 and they even found gold before that in Virginia (part of the same lode).

Now you know why I have the gold prospector icon. If you see a National with a small prospector in the window, that'll be us. He even sings a Christmas song. My wife got him for me to cheer me up when I had carotid surgery in February.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #5

I'm a dedicated beginning prospector. I bought a Gold Bug 2 late last fall and spent some time prospecting in AZ, CA & NV last winter. All I found was bullets, shell casings and trash, but I am determined to find a few nuggets. Who knows, maybe even the grandaddy-of-them-all or a huge hard rock deposit.
I know I have been close. There are a couple spots I'll hit again this winter and there are a lot of spots I'll know to stay away from.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
There was a guy who posted in the ToyHaulers area here last year who was a gold guy. His screen name was "Gold Dredger Don" (or something like that) and he talked a few times about what he was up to. i think he got a toyhauler to transport a dredger or sluicer or something. maybe a burro for all i remember.

You could look his name up and send him a PM or an email. I think he came from Oregon or NorCal.

The best thing that the Goldrush brought CA was the Barbary Coast.

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #7

Don't miss the superstition moutains. You may be the one to find the lost dutchman mine!

2004 22'
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Opa

We alway go up to Durango, Co in late Spring each year and for the last three years I always make it a point to spend at least a part of a day panning for gold. In three years all I've got to show for my efforts is 5 little specs. I just know that, next Spring, I'm going to hit the mother load.

Opa
Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #9

Yes, there is gold in thar hills and I'll tell you exactly where ...ALASKA! For those of you with future plans to be going that direction and if part of your plan route will take you on State Route 3, the George Parks Hwy, which is the main route passing by Denali National Park ...our gold panning spot is within sight of that highway near town of Willow and about a mile from Mat-Su RV Park. There is a pull-off (public property) right next to the small river bridge ...that pull-off will not accomodate an RV of any size. In that public area along the creeks edge, you will find and see gold flakes but your take will not probably be above the minimum hourly wage. Watch out if you go too far on either side of that bridge, you could put you in trouble for infringing on another prospectors gold claim. If you go in there without the proper equipment, it will be difficult to hold and save the gold you find.

Mat-Su RV Park is 21 miles north of Willow on State Route 3. The gold panning area I speak of is about 1 mile before reaching the RV park.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
shoot, just as a related point, ... how about silver ??
I have always preferred the color of silver (or platinum i guess) over gold. Have had a silver cross around my neck for a long time and wouldn't trade it for gold.
Are there any silver mining places that the weekend hobbiest can go to?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #11

I have found all the mines I have come across (including coal mines) to be secured as tight as Fort Knox. I tried to get permission to go into a couple but was met with a flat 'No' and their top reason was 'insurance'. Therefore, I find panning for gold to be easier and of course much safer.

Oh! I do find plenty of silver with my Garrett GTI-1500 metal detector ...silver coins and about 1/3 as many silver rings as those of 14 to 18k gold ...over the years, only one 24k gold coin was found

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #12

Hi Rick and Zara, we became snowbirds last winter and my hubby found 3/4 oz of gold in the desert outside Quartzsite AZ. What a thrill..we are heading back there on Nov 14th, we are not done with the desert yet!LOL. We have metal detectors, he found it with a minelab gpextreme, then we used my tesoro to locate each small piece, about 45 small nuggets!! what fun!
Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #13

About 33 years ago 3 friends and I spent a couple of weeks on the Yuba river with some scuba gear and a portable sloosh. Used buckets with rope attached to bring up loads from below a small waterfall. We ended up with 6.5 oz. of nuggets. Was a lot of work and the spot is only accessable by back packing in about 4 miles.

Kept intending to go back there some day, never have, maybe some day I will. I won't say exactly where it was, just near Downyville off highway 49.
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I know this is an old topic, but one I'm very interested in. I'm planning to buy a metal detector and I've got all the gold panning equipment. It would be great if there were RV groups that were treasure hunters! Would love to hear from any others that are into treasure hunting - finding jade and agates on the beach, gold panning, visiting different kinds of mines and quarries looking for treasures.