Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Golf Carts... Gas or Elec.???

In the market for a golf cart for campground transportation and maybe a little trail action.
Can anyone offer some pros and cons about gas powered vs electric powered?
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

You will probably get mixed reviews. I like electric. I live on a golf course and have owned (2) electric carts. My first was an ezgo 36 volt. My second a Club Car 48 volt. By far Club Car is the best, all aluminum rack and pinion steering and independent front suspension. I do not feel that there is a big advantage to gas for my use. We use ours here on the course and in campgrounds and I have never felt like I couldn't do what I wanted to do because I didn't have enough battery. I have played golf from daylight to dark with enough battery left to probably play another 18 holes. The community that I live in is probably 80% electric and 20% gas. I also like how quiet my cart is because I can sneak off and play a few holes with out the wife hearing me. Lol. On a serious note I can tell when low ball is about to start because I can here my neighbor take off on his gas cart because it is loud compared to mine. So I vote Electric!!!
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

I have to agree with heater. I like how quiet the electric carts are. We were staying in Ft. Wilderness this past July and 3 sites down had a gas cart. The kids rode it back and forth all day. Fortunately we weren't at our site much and they only stayed 3 days...but it was very annoying. Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man.

One thing to keep in mind is the weight of an electric cart. Mine is only a 36v. I believe the weight is close to 1000# , a 48v would be 1150# ,while a gas cart would be less than 600#. I am currently modifying our mh with the blue ox kit to be able to load the cart between the unit and our toad. The same week of the gas cart annoyance I saw another fellow with the same setup I am looking to add. His was for an electric cart and was sagging at least a foot. Unfortunately I didn't notice the set up till he was driving by upon leaving so I couldn't question him on it. My welder did suggest we do some frame beefing when we install the new hitch in a few weeks. We are also going to mount it on a fairly good angle upwards. I am hoping that will counter the constant bouncing it will endure.

My cart is an old club car that I installed a lift and off road tires on. We have run it around the farm and climbed some pretty decent hills. I was really surprised with the power and length of run time on the(new) batteries. The only down side is that they would probably run me off the golf course with a shotgun if I tried to get on with the current tires.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you're planning on trail action or getting away from your base, then gas is the only way to go. You can always add gas anywhere, but you can't charge batteries on a trail.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Talk to Tracy about us trail riding where we camp in Live Oak. Electric works, but resistance from sand and elevation changes on the trails takes a toll on them. Most of our group has gotten gas carts. The plus for gas is longer range and not having to bring a charger or replace batteries every 4-6years. Down side is noise and initial cost.

Riding around in the CG and on the hard pack dirt roads, the electric carts hold up well. The newer 48 volt are really quick and quite strong till the batteries drain. They are definitely quieter, and some CGs and even neighbourhoods only allow electric carts. Weigh out what the use will be before buying.

Tammy has an electric cart, and I have a Gas limo. With her kids and their friends, we need them both. Come camp the weekend of December 8 and see the Christmas lights and ride some of the trails with us. May help you decide which way to purchase.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

gas for me...late model 4 stroke gassers are quite quiet. Stay away from the earlier 2 stroke versions

1 battery to worry about not a group of them with a gasser

the gas can space is a trade off for an electric charger
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I live off grid I have a gas powered golf car. Gas works well on our rural property and as mentioned above no need to worry about charing the battery. A tank of gas seems to go forever.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Some campgrounds don't allow carts, some limit to electric carts, some require proof of insurance if you run into something.
Electric are easier to take care of, just plug in, maintain battery water level and replace batteries every so often. Gas requires carrying gasoline, tune up and plugs, carburetor cleaning and adjustment, muffler replacement, etc. Weight advantage of gas, silence of electric, it's all up to what's important to you.
My dad had an electric Clubcar, first time I used a gas cart after years of exposure to the electric I was shocked by the noise and vibration.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Talk to Tracy about us trail riding where we camp in Live Oak. Electric works, but resistance from sand and elevation changes on the trails takes a toll on them. Most of our group has gotten gas carts. The plus for gas is longer range and not having to bring a charger or replace batteries every 4-6years. Down side is noise and initial cost.

Riding around in the CG and on the hard pack dirt roads, the electric carts hold up well. The newer 48 volt are really quick and quite strong till the batteries drain. They are definitely quieter, and some CGs and even neighbourhoods only allow electric carts. Weigh out what the use will be before buying.

Tammy has an electric cart, and I have a Gas limo. With her kids and their friends, we need them both. Come camp the weekend of December 8 and see the Christmas lights and ride some of the trails with us. May help you decide which way to purchase.
Tracy has told me about the camping trips and they sound like a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, between her stories and going to Fort Wilderness, Jellystone and Ft. McAllistar in the last month watching others enjoying their carts, is what put this idea in my head. Not to mention the g/f always whining about how far she had to walk from point A to point B.

The g/f is currently planning our December trip, I believe on the same weekend you mention or the following. One choice was Spirit of Suwannee the other Stephen Foster. Both apparently have some light thing going on.

Is your trip to one of those parks? I would really like to try out the trails and evaluate the kind of cart I want.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think for my intended use I am leaning towards a gas cart. As far as noise is concerned, the newer carts are pretty quiet, much quieter than I thought they would be actually. Range is a big bonus, as is not having to wait for the batteries to charge between excursions. I like the idea of a street legal electric though. It would probably get more use between camping trips if I could also use it between neighborhoods and to nip to the store.
Also, another concern is cost. For the price of a newer lifted modestly accessorized gas cart I could buy a RZR or Sand Viper, which would be much more fun on the trails. I'm just not sure if I would be allowed to putt around the campground in one.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
I think for my intended use I am leaning towards a gas cart. As far as noise is concerned, the newer carts are pretty quiet, much quieter than I thought they would be actually. Range is a big bonus, as is not having to wait for the batteries to charge between excursions. I like the idea of a street legal electric though. It would probably get more use between camping trips if I could also use it between neighborhoods and to nip to the store.
Also, another concern is cost. For the price of a newer lifted modestly accessorized gas cart I could buy a RZR or Sand Viper, which would be much more fun on the trails. I'm just not sure if I would be allowed to putt around the campground in one.
We are going to the Spirit of the Suwannee and they DO NOT allow ATVs (3 or 4 wheelers) or UTVs (Gators, Mules, RAZERs, ect). Must have insurance on golf cart too. Trail fee charged too, but still fun. Limited to golf cart and golf cart utility carts like the workhorse by EZ GO.

Depending where you live and how you drive it on the road, most LEOs wont stop you on a gas cart unless you block traffic, then they have a reason to stop you. I have everything but safty glass, windshield wipers and turn signals on both carts to make mine street leagal. For some readon, Florida doesnt leagalize gas carts. I think it is because they can be modded to go too fast.

ATV/UTVs would be great at one of the MUD parks that are becoming popular.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have an EzGo gas we purchased mostly because the availability is better on used ones in central NY. A lot of the courses are hilly and the gas ones have more climbing power they tell me.

Friends that live in a community in Florida tell us gas carts are not allowed there due to the noise so consider where you will be using it. Battery replacement is very expensive on the other hand so you need to look at where you are using it and for what.

We installed headlights, tail lights, turn and brake signals and a horn but still can not license it in NY.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
"Our" park forbids gas carts, I know there are many other that do so too. Typical objections to the gas carts are the smell and the noise.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
"Our" park forbids gas carts, I know there are many other that do so too. Typical objections to the gas carts are the smell and the noise.
Smell? now that's funny....a golf cart smelling worse than a diesel tow vehicle or DP

Tags
gas