Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Eating: Mexican Restaurant

If you are traveling in or around Central Massachusetts and would like to have some good Mexican Food, try the Mexicali Restaurant in Spencer, Massachusetts.

Three years ago we were visiting this area and the restaurant had just opened. DW did a review in Urban Spoon and the review is still there. Tonight we visited it again and the food was very good.

If you have a hankerin' for hot sausa, ask for "Sausa Picosa," and don't forget to say Por Favor.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

I find Mexican restaurants to often be generic. Many just assemble food obtained from a Mexican commissary, throw the food in a 500 degree oven and throw a handful of lettuce and tomatoes on top.

And so many restaurants we visit have the same exact menu--printed by the Commissary.

I'm just thrilled to find an independent, higher quality of Tex Mex restaurant. The people work hard, and the food's great.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
B'man,
I agree with you. I'm especially discouraged when I travel to New Mexico, Arizona, California, and other states in the Midwest because they use pot roast meat for their tacos and other dishes that should have skirt steak, or even hamburger would be better than shredded pot roast. I feel all I have to order is some boiled potatoes and carrots and I'd have a New England Boiled Dinner.

I felt like posting this thread because it is unusual in the Nor'east to find a good quality Mexican Restaurant. The one I mentioned had a variety of dishes, and looking at the plates as they went by they looked yummy.

I had 3 soft tacos with skirt steak meat. The dinner came with rice and black beans served in small taco shell bowls. We did order an appetizer of guacamole and here is the kicker that tells you the food should be good. The guacamole was a huge bowl. Fresh avocados, and other items (tomatoes, lettuce, jalapenos) were mixed right in front of you. You knew nothing was out of a can. I don't know how many avocados they used but there was enough for 4 people to go through a serving of chips and half of another serving, and I put some on the tacos. The 3 tacos are served on the plate sitting correctly oriented in nice metal holder for 3 tacos. Easy to doctor them up without having to pick them up and hold them or having the items spill all over the place.

Above all, the server was very good. Matter of fact, he was the same one we had 3 years ago. I asked for the owner and Miguel came over and spoke with us. I complemented him on his success and we chatted. He remember us from the write-up Earlene did on Urban Spoon.

I do realize that everyone has different tastes and ideas of what is good and what is not good, but if in the area, give Mexicali Restaurant in Spencer, MA, a try.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote