Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Yes, Chuck, it is, and so was my post. Unfortunately, tongue-in-cheek humor doesn't translate well over the Internet.

Rusty
I got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Or Cale Yarborough and the Allisons duked it out at the 1979 Daytona 500?

A number of commentators state that race (and fist fight) is what put NASCAR on the map. Of course, that doesn't fit the spit-and-polish corporate image the sponsors want today.

Rusty
You are right on both counts, Rusty. I think that is why so many of the local tracks and the World of Outlaws series is still so popular. It's still rough and tumble racing.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #30

I agree NASCAR died with the loss of Big E (RIP). His death created the current "PC" type racing.

the use of ethanol is the "green" way. They were proactive before the tree huggers began making comments. No does Ethanol really do anything for the air? WE will never know..we just know what we are told.
I do know methanol(wood alky) has high amount of NOx...far more that gasoline...I don't know if corn alky does or not. I've never seen it on an emissions tester.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I dunno... the current car while truly a bunch of look alikes with different engines and stickers.... races a ton better than the previous "twisted sister"
The changes made after Dale Sr's death had to do with driver safety, not boring racing. No one has died in a nascar racecar since, is that a bad thing?
Next year, they are getting away from the look alike bodies, the racecars will be Mustangs, Camaros, and oddly, Camry's. Dodge, it seems, has decided to take their toys and go home.
The level of competition today is better than ever.... in those "good old days" you all speak of, the leader might have won by a lap or more. 'Today, races are decided by tenths of seconds, with 25 or more cars on the lead lap.

Back in the day, I was a Waltrip fan, and "dale sr" was some illiterate redneck punk who invented the term "wreckers or checkers" by pitching my guy into the wall every chance he got.
Today he is deified, while the current crop of racers would consider it just plain unsportsmanlike to race the way he did.

That said, I'm a Kyle Busch fan, and a regular in the infield at Joliet speedway. Their is no better way to experience a nascar race than RV camping in the infield!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #32

A lot of good post about the way NASCAR is going. Some good, some conjecture.

What about the economy, especially the cost of fuel... especially fuel for a MH. Then there is the every so increasing cost of tickets, parking and refreshment.

If sponsors withdraw support for guys like KB, there won't be any more like him or Sr.

There's still entertainment. Helmet throwing; recent punching in the pit lane after a race. Jeff Gordon recently came after and shoved Burton.

After the CW truck race tonight, they showed the 10 dumbest NASCAR blunders. That was entertaining. Especially when Mark pulled into the pits, thinking the race was over a lap too soon.

And how could we forget Sr getting out of the ambulance and back into his wrecked race car. They only show it about every other week.

Ethanol? It takes what? 2-3 times the amount to equal a gallon of gasoline and costs more to produce.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Next year, they are getting away from the look alike bodies, the racecars will be Mustangs, Camaros, and oddly, Camry's.
Just a few creases in the same old skins. It's still the same COT tube frame spec car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Dodge, it seems, has decided to take their toys and go home.
Actually, Penske left Dodge to go to Ford, leaving Dodge with no one to take them to the dance next year. The only other driver running a Dodge was Robby Gordon who has run, what, 3 Cup races this year? What else could they do?

Quote:
The level of competition today is better than ever.... in those "good old days" you all speak of, the leader might have won by a lap or more. 'Today, races are decided by tenths of seconds, with 25 or more cars on the lead lap.
Well, yeah, they're identical cars so they run identical lap times. Good "entertainment", I suppose.......

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Loved the run what you brung type racing. This silly mollified roundering they foist on us a stock car is politically correct crap and is not for me. I used to drive to Florida to see the Daytona (just about the whole length of I-75 involved here) and now won't go across the street. If its on TV when I come into a room I watch until the urge to watch the replay of the 1955 Tiddly Winks champions gets too strong then I switch channels.

NASCAR no longer interests me, but if everyone is a winner is your bag then have at 'er.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #35

Looks like Kyle has learned a new trick. Power through and wreck someone and just say: "I'm sorry, my bad". His "bad" put the competition down 22 laps.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Looks like Kyle has learned a new trick. Power through and wreck someone and just say: "I'm sorry, my bad". His "bad" put the competition down 22 laps.
Same with Stinhouse at the end of the race and Dillon during the race. I know Sadler was pretty upset at the end.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #37

Sadler tried to hide it, but his last sentence said it all.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sadler is a class act.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #39

No, Mark Martin is a class act.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #40

Jim68, It wasn't Dale Sr, it was Mike Joy with the stupid comment.
Sure Dale Sr was rough around the edges. As time passed he changed in some ways. No one being killed since Sr's death is a GREAT thing...but the cars are still cookie cutter and you can't deny that. Jim with your northern definitions, what would you have called all the old timers in the sport? Dale Sr fit right in with many many of them. "Jaws" never put anyone in the wall? Biffle never put anyone on the wall when racing trucks? Bodines never did? Wallace never did? Jr Johnson never did? Benny Parsons never did?..etc etc. 1 of the sports most "cleanest" drivers has been Mark Martin. Like him or not....he gives mucho respect to all he is on the track with.

dunner don't be dissing ethanol....our gov't won't like that
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the 48 team, JJ in particular is a class act! JJ didn't try to punch a reporter or someone else. Yes, he was upset because their motor blew but instead of blaming someone else, he chose to just remain quiet and not grant any interviews.

Anyone have any doubts who would have won the race if his motor hadn't have blown? Didn't think so.

burfurd
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Bodines never did?
No, but I've seen Todd take out his own brother to win a race. He's like Montoya; blames someone else when he wrecks. I can't stand "Onion Head".