Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The commentary after the race said that no one could see the tell-tale black marks of oil.
I could see from the comfort of my RV something was amiss because they were sliding all over the place and I know they had of observed that too. The drivers said they could see if and I'm sure they were hollering on the radio too
Anyway....off to Bristol and lets see if they have made for better racing there !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Maybe they should oil the track at the beginning of the race.
Here's a suggestion that might make NASCAR Sprint Cup racing somewhat interesting. Every car has to carry a tank with 20 gallons of hypoid gear lube. Along with this tank are a pump and nozzles that will distribute aforesaid hypoid gear lube evenly on the track at the rate of 5 gallons/hour. That should make things really interesting (as well as smelly!) as the races progress.

And, yes, I'm a dinosaur. AFAIC, the last real NASCAR race cars were the 427 Fords and Mercs, the 426 Wedge and Hemi Mopars, the 421 Pontiacs and the rat-motored Chevys of the 1960s. Today is nothing but spec racing - all the same tube frame cars that have nothing to do with "stock cars", just with different paint and decals.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #17

Rusty, I agree with your above comments....but the Big 3 don't make anything worth racing any longer.
Years ago if 1 manufacturer had an advantage due to engine or body....and you felt cheated...you cheated more or went to that manufacturer. Now it is all cookie cutter and if 1 manufacturer cries "we are being cheated" then a rules change takes place.

Yes this all stinks....and the old way was sure more fun....but just how can that be done with what is available for automobiles at this time?

Eliminate the rear spoilers, raise the side skirts, remove the frt splitters...this would all help to eliminate the restrictor plates by lowering the speeds, stop the "clean" air situations when out front...and then it would be far more exciting to watch and I'm sure to drive also
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Rusty, I agree with your above comments....but the Big 3 don't make anything worth racing any longer.....Yes this all stinks....and the old way was sure more fun....but just how can that be done with what is available for automobiles at this time?
With unibodies, it's admittedly tough, but since all are V-8, rear drive cars, start with the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger with, say, a 5 or 6 liter displacement limit (maybe 5 liters for DOHC/32 valve and 6 liters for pushrod/16 valve) and cut 'em loose. We'll see if there are any modern day Smokey Yunicks, Leonard Woods, Dale Inmans or Ralph Moodys out there.

But my last name isn't France, so it won't happen.......They'd better think of something, though, because attendance and viewer ratings are declining.

Rusty
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #19

Smoke's my fav!
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nascar promoting Ethonol is like a Priest promoting condoms.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #21

I'm a true NASCAR fan from NC. But have you noticed the color of the seats in SOME of the tracks? Not all tracks are doing this but some have changed out the seat backs in a random different colors and when the camera does show a quick glance the seats look full. Look close.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Nascar promoting Ethonol is like a Priest promoting condoms.
Actually, Chuck, one could build a perverse case for it. Ethanol = grain alcohol = moonshine. Need I go on?? Of course, they're promoting it for burnin', not drinkin'!

Rusty
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I lost interest in Nascar years ago. They ain't stock and the drivers ain't shine runners so where's the sport? Too many suits making the rules and the drivers are stuck with whatever the sponsors deem proper.

Get back to real "STOCK" cars and individual manufacturers motors and then maybe the fan base will start to climb again.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Too many suits making the rules.....
NASCAR was in trouble once those in the positions of power said that it was all about "entertainment", not racing! Last time I checked, NASCAR was an abbreviation for National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Get back to real "STOCK" cars and individual manufacturers motors and then maybe the fan base will start to climb again.
Amen, brother!! Preach on......

Rusty
Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I lost interest in Nascar years ago. They ain't stock and the drivers ain't shine runners so where's the sport? Too many suits making the rules and the drivers are stuck with whatever the sponsors deem proper.

Amen to that
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Actually, Chuck, one could build a perverse case for it. Ethanol = grain alcohol = moonshine. Need I go on?? Of course, they're promoting it for burnin', not drinkin'!

Rusty
NASCAR attempting to promote itself GOING GREEN by using Ethanol is a joke. Judging from the empty stands no one else cares either. They better realize that their fan base is not there to see a display of ecology in action.
When the Nationwide series was using V6's NOBODY was interested in hearing a bunch of sewing machines buzzing around the track so they had to go back to V8's.
Looking at all those empty seats in all three series is a sure sign that whatever they are doing is not working.
When Sr. died that was the end of no B.S. in your face racing. The type of racing that the fans wanted to see. Kyle is close but he's a little puke compared to Dale Sr. Remember when Sr. climbed out of the ambulance and back in his wrecked car to finish the race? That what the fans want. That was racing !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
NASCAR attempting to promote itself GOING GREEN by using Ethanol is a joke.
Yes, Chuck, it is, and so was my post. Unfortunately, tongue-in-cheek humor doesn't translate well over the Internet.

Rusty
Old 08-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Remember when Sr. climbed out of the ambulance and back in his wrecked car to finish the race? That what the fans want. That was racing !!!
Or Cale Yarborough and the Allisons duked it out at the 1979 Daytona 500?

A number of commentators state that race (and fist fight) is what put NASCAR on the map. Of course, that doesn't fit the spit-and-polish corporate image the sponsors want today.

Rusty