Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have -15c and 7cm of snow. I'm willing to trade for your rain. Any takers ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I arrived on Vancouver Island March 13 many many moons ago. I left Norther Ontario where it was -30C (-22F) and windy, so windy they had to snow blow the airport runway twice and deice between the snow removals. Landed in Victoria 5 hours later and got off the plane in mukluks, heavy lined jeans, long johns, jack shirt, parka and gloves and was met by my buddy who was wearing shorts, a tee shirt with sandals on his feet. Couldn't believe I was still in Canada. Only go back for funerals and weddings.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Rv Park at Nellis AFB on Thanksgiving Day
Hey FinHawk, I just left Vegas yesterday morning (Hitchin'post RV Park), now sitting along the river in Blythe, CA. Gonna sit here until the Turkey Day traffic is gone. Driving today meant almost no traffic at all on US 95. Outside temp is in the mid 80's. Nice.

Hey there Larry and Rita. Sure enjoyed meeting you all at Brazel's in May. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

Hey Larry, would you quit sending all that rain north? We do NOT need any more. Any wetter I will need a boat just to get to work.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #19

We lived in Hampton, VA for a couple of years. When folks found out we'd moved there from the Seattle area, we always got lots of comments about rain. After living through the first Tidewater summer, my response was, "well, it rains a lot but it doesn't rain much."

Around Western WA, it can rain for 48 hours straight and the total water deposited is maybe 1.5 inches. On a July afternoon in VA, between 3:15 and 4:00 we'd get 3 or 4 inches. Every day! Just before we moved back to Seattle, the afternoon thunderstorm didn't blow out to sea like it usually did. It stayed until about 6:00 am the next day. The overnight total rainfall was almost 13".

Being ex-pat Brits, where the weather isn't much different, we're comfortable with it. The saying in the UK is "Summer's on a Wednesday this year. Don't go for a haircut, you might miss it altogether."

Dull grey and mild, with an earthquake very 50 or 60 years, beats dull, hot and sticky with a tornado every two weeks, or daytime highs above 100F.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Frank, your name really fit's where you live. Damp! We live about an hr. away from you over the border. Pretty much the same weather. We moved away for awhile but came back. Here you don't have to shovel it, at least not very often.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #21

Yeah, we hear that quite a lot. Family opinions differ over whether it was originally "D'Ampier", which translates to "from Ampier". The family originates in the Isle of Wight and aFrench village of "Ampier" is not too far away from the coast of France immediately south of the IOW.

The other opinion is that we eveolved from a family of German railroad or steam-ship people, since the German word for steam is "Dampf". I've been able to trace the family back to about the late 1700's, but haven't been able to find a link to either of the "old" names.

There's an area of Australia's NE wilderness called "Dampierland" and some of our Aussie cousins think that the British explorer it was named after is an ancestor.

As you say, it's an appropriate name for someone living here.

BTW, a guy from my home town of Leyland, Lancs UK, lives in Chilliwack, name of Bryan Pemberton.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
The little town of Sequim WA has (had) a sign claiming they were the driest spot in Washington State but a place called Fort (with arrow pointed thataway) was only 17 miles away up in the mountains which laid claim to being the wettest spot in Washington State.
You must have left your glasses at home that day, Possum-me-lad! I'm a near-neighbor to Sequim and passed the "Weather Rock" many times before it was tragically removed for reasons known only to the @#%**'s that took it away. The sign actually said/pointed towards "Forks"- not "Fort"- and it's a few miles more distant than 17 from Sequim...

Forks, Washington, is as a matter of fact the wettest place in the State...and it's got the out-migration rate to prove it!

And while we're on the subject of the sign: as I recall it, the only "dry" claim it made was that Sequim was the driest place in Western Washington.

And that it is, at least since the Baptist Mission we used to have hereabouts closed down for lack of customers...
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nice going woman, taking an almost septuagenarian to task for a slightly faulty recollection from a town he had only been to once before, twenty years prior. Forts, Forks, Knives, Spoons are all the same, n'est ce pas? And there is not much difference between 17 and seventy one if you're dyslexic, and now you're picking on that other foible of mine. I am being cut to the quick!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Yeah, we hear that quite a lot. Family opinions differ over whether it was originally "D'Ampier", which translates to "from Ampier". The family originates in the Isle of Wight and aFrench village of "Ampier" is not too far away from the coast of France immediately south of the IOW.

The other opinion is that we eveolved from a family of German railroad or steam-ship people, since the German word for steam is "Dampf". I've been able to trace the family back to about the late 1700's, but haven't been able to find a link to either of the "old" names.

There's an area of Australia's NE wilderness called "Dampierland" and some of our Aussie cousins think that the British explorer it was named after is an ancestor.

As you say, it's an appropriate name for someone living here.

BTW, a guy from my home town of Leyland, Lancs UK, lives in Chilliwack, name of Bryan Pemberton.
Haven't ever ran into him but who knows.
We complain about the rain, but the last couple of days have been beautiful. The rain can get depressing but at least we don't have to shovel it. We wen't across the border to Bellingham yesterday, and you couldn't wish for a nicer day. You got to love living in BC or Washington.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We enjoyed our five years in Lake Stevens. But, we were ready to leave when the offer came. The flooding in 07 and living on the "convergence zone" gave useless than enough rain and ice. I do have to admit, July - Sept are delightful.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #26

If you check the rainfall maps, you will see that Protection Island has the least rain in western wa. a little less than sequim.
but has no residents. so sequim has is the dryest town.
but, that doesn't stop you from having to own rubber boots.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
If you check the rainfall maps, you will see that Protection Island has the least rain in western wa. a little less than sequim.
but has no residents. so sequim has is the dryest town.
but, that doesn't stop you from having to own rubber boots.

Hmmm...

If it's hair-splitting time:

The uninhabited Protection Island is very near to Sequim...and there are OTHER poky-uppy rocks out there, too, not to mention all those dry-foot boats running around Puget Sound in that vicinity.

It seems obvious that there's a spot out there where even less rain can be measured.

I guess that means that absent someone prowling the area in a rowboat with a rain gauge, we'll never know where the driest spot in Western Washington State is.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Hmmm...

If it's hair-splitting time:

The uninhabited Protection Island is very near to Sequim...and there are OTHER poky-uppy rocks out there, too, not to mention all those dry-foot boats running around Puget Sound in that vicinity.

It seems obvious that there's a spot out there where even less rain can be measured.

I guess that means that absent someone prowling the area in a rowboat with a rain gauge, we'll never know where the driest spot in Western Washington State is.

Least WET spot, in Western Washington state, sounds more realistic.