Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Good Sam CSP I mean SCAM

Well I guess I don't really know what to think at this point we purchased the Good Sam CSP GOLD plan about a month ago we had never had any issues with our coach a 2006 Coachman Cross Country and after 30 days and 567+ miles we had a check engine light come on so I called Good Sam as they advertise to do and I was told to take it to the repair facility of my choice and that it had been 30 days and at least there was 567 miles on it.
Called Cummins and they went through some quick stuff on the phone I told them I had Good Sam they said usually no problems with them. So take the RV in and leave it I call them 3 days later and they tell me it needs a turbo I reply well surely Cummins will do something it only has 28000 miles they were like we will check and well NOPE thats not gonna happen I am like well at least we have the Good Sam to fall back on. Well that has turned into a night mare they are saying the service tech is saying one thing about the issue that the "cross shaft of the turbo is worn causing miss alignment of the turbo veinsand that the turbo is worn out" The tech tells me that the turbo acctuator is causing the problem and that the acctuator ring is sticking I asked if the acctuator electric problem code 2383 as the service tech stated caused the issue they replied there was no way to tell and that the warranty company was denying the claim said it was worn from use and possible pre existing. Now I am no dummy but my uncle who is a lawyer told me as a young man to document anything you think that somebody could question some people call it CYA and on the day we signed up for the GOOD SAM CSP GOLD package I took a picture of my dash showing no CEL at speed and another one at idle who knows guess when I get to court on this I will have to pull those out of the hat. I am really upset cause somebody is not telling me the truth wonder who it is the Good Scam people or the Cummins service tech and shop manager. At this point they have not removed the Turbo only hooked it up to the computer and ran tests that they say is $474!!!! Guess I am in the wrong business. Has anybody else had issues with GOOD SAM CSP we have done everything they have asked for including a timeline of the issue as it happend and then we drove it there with no CEL and no issues.

Any help or experince dealing with Good Sam CSP would be a huge help and no I don't want to here about putting your money in a savings account or investing it etc etc etc...... I want straight up answers about Good Sam CSP
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
edj

What was the reason that Cummins did not cover the repair?

What you are going through is a prime example of the reasons not to buy an extended warranty insurance policy. There is a LOT of fine print that if you do one thing wrong with the procedure, they deny the claim.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
What was the reason that Cummins did not cover the repair?

What you are going through is a prime example of the reasons not to buy an extended warranty insurance policy. There is a LOT of fine print that if you do one thing wrong with the procedure, they deny the claim.
............I know this is hard to swallow, but what else can be said. Two many people involved leaving you jumping through hoop after hoop, and CW got their commision all way to the Bank, so sad but true. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

Cummins said the unit was too old!!! It is a 2006 model motorhome that we bought new in Aug of 2005... Nice guy at Cummins Care said he was real sorry but he couldn't do anything.

I am waiting on a call from my Lawyer which is family we will file suit if need be. I have every conversation documented and Good Sam is saying one thing and the cummins shop is saying something else. So somebody is blowing smoke or smoking something. Can't stand it when somebody doesn't tell the truth.

It will be interesting to see who is telling the truth and neither is willing to put what they are saying on paper except for the cummins shop says they will give me the diagnostic print out but not what they told each other.....

Oh it reminds me of when we had to take Gulf Stream and GM to court and they bought back our other RV under the lemon law.... Still remember the lawyers faces when we droped our documentation on the table
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Thanks,
I know that i'm not buying a service plan after all been reading,
take them to court. you will win.........
good luck
hauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The sad part is a different dealer may have been able to get this repair covered under warranty. How does the tech know this was a pre exiting condition just by checking the CEL?
They would have to remove the turbo, disassemble and inspect to find the cause of the failure. All else is pure speculation.

edit; It's a bad sign when the repairing dealer will not document the facts on your repair order. It is a legal document in a court of law.
My advice is find a good reputable dealer that is willing to document all the facts.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Good Sam GSP keeps trying to get me to buy their plan, but their own plan literature says my fiver is too old...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping fam View Post

It will be interesting to see who is telling the truth and neither is willing to put what they are saying on paper except for the cummins shop says they will give me the diagnostic print out but not what they told each other.....
Make sure you tell the dealer (Owner and Service Manager) that since they are not willing to write down what was said between GS and Dealer, You will have to serve papers on the dealer to testify in court what was actually said.
I guaranty they will write whatever you want on the repair order so they don't have to go to court.
I know, I was an automotive service manager for 30 years.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #9

Good Sam said I could take it to another shop my thing is why should I pay for somebody else to jerk me around and what if Good Sam doesn't honor the claim again I have the supervisors name from Good Sam he was great and all they can go on is what the service tech says I just don't know which way to turn

Good Sam says they can only go on what there told!
Cummins Atlantic says they can only go off the facts!

I think there is a big communication issue!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #10

What is the overall estimate for the repair?
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #11

Hrm... is this an ISB engine? If so that's the Cummins 5.9 and in those years the turbo would be either a Holset HX35(1) or HX40. You can buy completely rebuilt units at dozens of reputable places for less than $700.00. Not sure how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are but changing out the turbo on the ISB is almost as easy as changing oil especially in these rear-engine chassis. Any diesel mechanic could have that unit R&R'd in about 45 minutes... Shouldn't be more than about $800.00 labor and material.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #12

The very best insurance you can buy"
It's called a service manual.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #13

The Turbo is a Holset HY35V

A reman one from cummins is $2347

For Cummins Atlantic to put it in its $3600

To have it rebuilt without replacing electronic actuator $375 plus s/h

and the funny thing is Cummins Atlantic already has one sitting there in stock.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
edj

Too bad the engine is out of warranty. While diesel engines have great benefits, they are expensive to fix if something goes wrong.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote