Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My first bad experience with the name thing was when the company I was trying to deal with had my two part last name entered improperly in their computer. Every time she asked my name I would respond Dennis Dalla-Vicenza and she would tell me that this didn't agree with their records. After numerous supervisors and contacts I finally figured out that they had dropped the Dalla- part of my last name and refused to admit they screwed up. I then decided I would just let the contract die and run out the policy and then go on with life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
My first bad experience with the name thing was when the company I was trying to deal with had my two part last name entered improperly in their computer. Every time she asked my name I would respond Dennis Dalla-Vicenza and she would tell me that this didn't agree with their records. After numerous supervisors and contacts I finally figured out that they had dropped the Dalla- part of my last name and refused to admit they screwed up. I then decided I would just let the contract die and run out the policy and then go on with life.

What chapped my hide was that I had just gone through this one hour before and given my name as Chuck and no problem. An hour later Chuck was out and Charles was the word and without "Charles" I was not allowed the keys to the castle !
It was a different person however !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #17

You were right on Chuck, She was dumber than a box of rocks, you know? Two french fries short of a happy meal, Not all the lights burning at the same time, a few bricks shy of a full load. Just like most of the folks a GS. Sell you the world for a dollar and sell you out in your time of need!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
You were right on Chuck, She was dumber than a box of rocks, you know? Two french fries short of a happy meal, Not all the lights burning at the same time, a few bricks shy of a full load. Just like most of the folks a GS. Sell you the world for a dollar and sell you out in your time of need!

Kinda the way I was leaning. One of those deals where a little bit of authority goes right to their head.
As campers, I'm sure we have all experienced the same thing from hyperactive do-right folks at government parks.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #19

I vote that she was dumber than a box of rocks. Not that she was being a jerk. A couple of years ago my wife called GS and she gave our home as Powell, Wyoming. Girl asked what state that was in. Bet they don't pay much in wages at GS.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I vote that she was dumber than a box of rocks. Not that she was being a jerk. A couple of years ago my wife called GS and she gave our home as Powell, Wyoming. Girl asked what state that was in. Bet they don't pay much in wages at GS.

Just between you and me, I probably didn't help the situation when I called her a nit wit when I found out she wanted CHARLES instead of CHUCK :-) which took about five minutes ! That seemed to put her on edge he he !
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #21

I'm striking out at poor service and telling people off when they abuse me. A restaurant expected me to eat their burnt, mushy and disgusting meat loaf after rejecting the first piece which she admitted was burnt. They didn't charge me for the potato & veg I ate. I also pointed out the windows in the lobby were cleaned with a dirty, damp cloth and that I should have turned around right there. One of them went right to cleaning the window properly. It was 1pm so I asked for the owner. "He's at the Conoco" she said. Need I say more. I also see a problem at fast food places when they think to put the newest hire at the register and make us suffer to get the sleepy person to get my order correct or answer simple questions.

Please help me raise the standards in America. We're all traveling the US 1st class, spending hard earned money, and deserve better.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And after all the Drama , they fixed the Good Sam RV Park app that I was calling in to tell them about !!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Wow. Just because some minimum-wage worker tries to go by the rules, this? Not everyone knows that "Chuck" is a nickname for "Charles", so why not cut her some slack. Sheesh.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good sam phone etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wow. Just because some minimum-wage worker tries to go by the rules, this? Not everyone knows that "Chuck" is a nickname for "Charles", so why not cut her some slack. Sheesh.

I know you are kidding, right ?
If they were this stupid they wouldn't have been hired in the first place.
However ,I do admire you for attempting to stand up for her !
Old 07-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I know you are kidding, right ?
If they were this stupid they wouldn't have been hired in the first place.
However ,I do admire you for attempting to stand up for her !
Businesses are hiring stupid people because that is what the schools teach-to not think for yourself. We do not have to accept this and as the elders I expect to be heard. Maybe if more people refused to accept stupidity we can get a handle on it. This problem goes all the way to the government.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I read the preview and it got as far as CHUCK, I knew right away what the problem was.. This is because I know names and quite a bit about how they get shortened.... For 25 years names were a good part of my business.

She (The person you were talking to) Wants an EXACT MATCH to what is on the computer screen, It may be she does not know "Chuck" is short for "Charlies" (As I might add is Chralie) or it may be that she is ordered to not give any hints.. I do not know which.

But when you are talking to someone from a company that issues a card.. READ THE NAME ON THE CARD. Remember you may be speaking to a person who does not understand American Slang.

Or even if you are speaking to a 7th generation American.. NOT from your part of the USA.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #27

Computers and databases. Is your first name spelled Chuck on your driver's license? Is your first name spelled Chuck on your voter's registration? Etc, etc. Their computer system only knows you as Charles. She talked to you an hour before and forgot about you after you hung up. So, you need to lighten up and remember to give your real name.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #28

In "that thing I do to let me go RVing" I manage an organization that has a number of people born after 1990. It's hard to appreciate the growing cultural differences -- but I can see where they probably would not make the "Chuck" connection, especially if they weren't the brightest bulb.

Steve