Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Good Sams Road Side Towing??

Does this work and is it $70 a year?

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It'll cost you $70 if you never need to use it. It will save you hundreds if you do. No different than any other type of " insurance ".

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
I have used Good Sam road side twice. Was very pleased with them both times. Would not travel without it.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam and Coach Jet are both popular and well commented. I have had both and used services via both. Both did well.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up Peace of mind is worthless

When we bought the 5vr in 2002 and took our first 6 week, 8,000 mile trip to Yellowstone we purchased the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. The truck was new and the rig was new but not worrying was worth every penny. I think the cost was about $90. I now buy 3 years at a time and don't have to worry about it running out and you get a discount. We used it in LA when I locked us out of the truck on I10. Husband had a meltdown, I said no problem I have the Good Sams card in my purse Then we used the service for a blowout on the way back from an irv2 rally in Gatlinburg TN. Also we had a blowout in New Mexico. O' I almost forgot the transmission failure on our way to the Arizona rally. We only arrived 4 days late to the rally By the way we put 220,000 miles on that old truck, at least one third of those miles were pulling the 5vr.
Nancy & Bill, Camden, NC
Retired and having fun
Cardinal 29WB, '14 Ford F250 dsl 4wd
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
Homeless: I've had it for 20+ years, never used it, so it also works great as a preventative. (Without it I would probably be hitchhiking by now...) Guess I better find some wood to knock!!
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
I've used it once and would advise that you read the fine print, with this one or any roadside assistance, regarding how far they'll tow you in addition to where. On my platinum plan I get towed to the nearest qualified repair facility which I think is loosely defined. In my case they would have towed me to the nearest mechanic but not the Ford dealer. The nearest repair facility wasn't qualified in my opinion to work on diesel trucks. To get to the Ford dealer I had to pay for the difference in miles between the two shops. I'll probably stay with them when I renew but I'll be sure to get the plan that let's me tow to my qualified
repair facility.
John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2008 Ford F350 6.4L CC SRW
2012 Cardinal 3030RS - B&W Companion Hitch
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
I have the GS ERS. I haven't used it.....yet. Hope to never use it but sure wouldn't travel without it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
I have a Coach-Net Premium Plan. I used it last month when I had a blowout 400 miles form home. The tire tech they chose came out and installed my spare (95 - 90% humidity). There was no charge for the service. Coach-Net answered promptly, called me back to advise when the tire tech would be on site, verified after the tire was changed that I was satisfied with the service.

After this experience, I put on a tire pressure monitoring system. The first sign I had that one of my trailer tires was flat was seeing pieces of rubber flying off the trailer when looking in the rear view mirror.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club

We have it, used it once for a blowout in Fla on New Years day. The service answered the phone right away, called me back when they had a roadside service that would come out (about 15 min). Told me approx how long it would take for them to get there, called me back to make sure that they had arrived. Called me back again later to make sure everything went smoothly and that we were OK and back on the road. After watching the guy change the tire on my MH in the 95deg heat with the hot sun beating on him on the side of I95 I will always carry it. With all his proper equipment It took hin a good half hour to do it. I could have done it myself, it would have taken much longer and I prob would have had heat stroke. Well worth the $70.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
We have used our GS Roadside a couple of times, and it is WELL worth the yearly fee. Just to tow a big motorhome 1/2 mile was $350.00.
2002 Newmar Dutchstar 4097
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel.
ckhenshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
I've used Good Sam twice in the past 2 years. Both were tire related. On the last call, just a few months ago, there was no service facility nearby that was part of the Good Sam network. The GS Rep gave me her direct phone #, then called around to establish a connection with a local vendor. After about 45 minutes, GS had a new vendor on the payroll and 45 minutes after that, I had a Tech at my side.

Cheap insurance. Well satisfied.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blew a transmission in Alpine, Tx and got towed to Odessa, Tx. They towed me to a qualified repair shop.
Very happy with them !
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
It'll cost you $70 if you never need to use it. It will save you hundreds if you do. No different than any other type of " insurance ".

In my case it didn't save me anything, it cost me thousands.

I got stuck on the side of a snowy Interstate in WV for 4.5 hours with no heat while GS haggled with the towing companies over whether they'd take a GS call (at greatly reduced rates) or leave us there while making better money pulling folks out of ditches. GS will not budge over their set rates. Finally the storm had subsided enough that someone was willing to tow us. Problem was the driver didn't have the proper tools with him (I didn't know this till much later) and so didn't disconnect the driveshaft. He then spent the 40 minute drive to the repair shop showing me how impressive the power of his wrecker was, how it could easily hold 60 mph with my coach trailing behind.

The wait meant we got to the repair shop just as they were closing, they promised up & down they were going to pull a vehicle out and put my non-winterized coach inside where it was warm. It was also 30 minutes after the car rental places closed, off to a hotel for the night.

A week and $5k later I got my coach back with a new tranny, and a mess of frozen burst pipes from sitting outside in well below freezing temps.

Oh, and when I went through the box of parts I got back from the rebuilder, it was obvious 95% of the damage was from 40 mile tow at 60 mph. The issue with the TX in the first place was a broken snap ring.

It would have been a 3 hour $400 to $500 repair if not for the nice folks at GS Roadside Assistance.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote