Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Goodbye to my owner

If your a dog owner as we are,you can find that they fill a big part of our lives.I ran a cross this really heart breaking story that we will all have to face some day.

http://shareably.net/man-writers-letter-in-dogs-perspective/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to put down the last 5 animals I had due to health problems. It is one of the reasons I have not been able to get another for the last 6 years. It was so hard each time but they were suffering. It had to be done. Maybe some day we'll get another, maybe not.

This story was beautiful, thank you!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Very touching. There's a good book written from the dog's perspective. I recommend it. "The Art of Racing in the Rain".
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #4

I have had to put down more animals in m life time than I care to remember. They will never be forgotten. All of mine have "found" us in a time of need, whether their need or ours is up for debate. I always say I am not going to get another, but it never works out that way.

I am typing this with my floppy eared Hound/Jack Russel mix trying to share my lap with the laptop.... Life is good!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've passed the book " Rescuing Sprite " by Mark Levin to several people that found it helpful.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wow!! that really touched home. This week our J R Terrior was feeling bad. We took him to a new vet because we moved to a different town. A long story short she mis diagnosed him and put him on a bunch of meds. He was not doing well so we took the drive back to our old vet. They checked him over and found that he had hurt his neck and that is why he was acting the way he was. Some new pills and rest he is now getting back to being himself. He is 11 years so we were worried about having to make that decision again.
Two years ago we lost our other JRT to cancer. Still miss her!!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Very touching. There's a good book written from the dog's perspective. I recommend it. "The Art of Racing in the Rain".
x2!!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a good read especially in light of our recent situation with one of our dogs. We went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this year to spend time with old friends. On Saturday we were checking in on our dogs throughout the day from the numerous webcams at our boarding facility.

Sunday morning while preparing to head back home I received a call from the owner of the boarding facility and he was crying. I knew something was bad and he informed me that one of our dogs had passed away during the night. Quite possibly the longest 6 hour drive back of my life. The boarding place, Camp Bow Wow, was amazing through everything. They paid for EVERYTHING including an autopsy and testing by Mississippi State University, as well as all fees for cremation.

We now get to "see" our beloved dog everytime we take our current dogs to daycare as his ashes were buried at the boarding and daycare facility he loved so much. The owners created a site by their sign and put flowers and shrubs in as well as a little stone paw with his name on it to cover the site his ashes were buried. My wife and I along with all of the employees held a short little service for his burial.

If this was paper it would be wet right now. I miss him a ton.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

We have two male Labradors, both 12 years old. One was a rescue from the local pound when he was 5. The other was a rescue through our local Pure-bred Rescue service when he was 8.

They were both doing well, But the Pure-bred (who turned out to be pedigree) recently had to get a spleenectomy because of a growth inside the spleen. He's doing very well and the growth turned out to be benign.

One of those high-tech 24-hour vet mills, where we took him for a high-res ultrasound, wanted between $6000 and $9500 for the procedure. For a 12 year old dog - give us a break.

We contacted our regular vet, thinking we'd have to put the old guy down. The vet said he charged $1500 for the same procedure. Angus had the procedure and has recovered remarkably quickly for an old fart. We're hoping for a couple more (maybe longer) years before they both go to the happy hunting ground.

Our last Lab, a chocolate female, made it to 14+ despite having Addison's Disease since 8-months old. With all the meds over the years, that turned out to be a $14,000 dog! Fortunately, I was still employed in the aerospace industry during that time, rather than being retired.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you for posting this gotta go hug my dog