Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #29

I too am glad your dogs are safe. We don't have much crime around here but, my main reason for locking the camper or pickup is too keep anyone from letting the dog out accidently.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by senior-cit View Post
Bradenton of I-75
Curious if the police mentioned any other robberies in the area with the same MO. The Tampa area has a lot of people who know the RV market and what type key or keys are required to open the locks of RV's. Most dealers will tell you they can get in as long as the dead bolt is not locked. After reading this I think we will start locking the dead bolt. Our dogs are more important than the motorhome or stuff in it. I would hate for any harm to come to the dogs or worse they might be stolen.

Bob

2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
We ate at that same Cracker Barrel about 3 weeks ago. We parked in the main lot because there was plenty of room. The lot designated for RVs is behind the Cracker Barrel and across the street. It is not visible from the restaurant. In fact if you parked with the door not facing the restaurant someone inside the RV would have plenty of time to spot you walking back to your RV and exit the RV and drive away.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
And who in their right mind would just enter an RV... unless they KNEW it was empty. They had to have watched you go in. Or I supposed they could have knocked like crazy and if no one came to the door. That's prettty darn brazen!

AND it raises a great point for us, that more discussion should be at how to better protect ourselves. I lock my basements, but the key number is listed right on the outside.... how many keys could they have ever made? This sounds like easy pickings for someone who knows their way around these buses, trailers and 5ths.

haha, I'm gonna stick an ADT sticker next to my door handle lol PROTECTED BY ADT.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also wonder if the local pawn shops have your stolen stuff. Likely you will find it if you look.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
And who in their right mind would just enter an RV... unless they KNEW it was empty. They had to have watched you go in. Or I supposed they could have knocked like crazy and if no one came to the door. That's prettty darn brazen!

AND it raises a great point for us, that more discussion should be at how to better protect ourselves. I lock my basements, but the key number is listed right on the outside.... how many keys could they have ever made? This sounds like easy pickings for someone who knows their way around these buses, trailers and 5ths.

haha, I'm gonna stick an ADT sticker next to my door handle lol PROTECTED BY ADT.
I'm not a thief but, that wouldn't deter me because I don't know what ADT is.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #35

Ummmm ... that's an attention disorder, right?

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #36

This Cracker Barrel in Bradenton, FL is right off I75 and is frequented by RV's. Bad guys know this and could easily sit and watch knowing that many RV’s must park around back out of sight of the patrons. It takes 30 or more minutes to get seated and served, so they have plenty of time, especially if they have a key. One thing that bad guys know, those who work in and around the RV industry, is many RV’ers travel with weapons and they know you can’t take your weapon into Cracker Barrel.

Bottom line the local authorities could give a hoot that some “Snow Birder” lost his stuff? They look at it as an insurance issue that they need to take their time to write a report. They will not investigate or become overly concerned unless you lost that weapon you were carrying.

The lesson learned here is to be careful, watch where you park, lock your dead bolt, change the locks on your basement doors. If you carry high cost valuables or weapons you should invest in a good alarm system. This is the environment we live.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #37

It must be devastating to come back to your RV/house and see your space has been violated, let alone valuable things gone.

I have an "auto" type alarm on my RV but that only gives off the normal wailing audio alert. I arm/disarm it with my remote. The motion of our small dog Dog inside does not set it off.

However, I am getting a camera system that will send an alarm text by Cel and a video which is uploaded to cloud storage. Reportedly you can get units that pets do not set off. For us, protecting the pet is more important than "stuff" protection but we have a small portable safe/box that cannot easily be broken into or removed without a torch or heavy duty bolt cutters but nothing is 100% burgular/theft proof. In fact a savvy well equipped thief could just take the RV for that matter.

Several of these camera + security systems exist but I have not selected the exact one yet. I have an elaborate security and monitoring system for my S&B. It gives great piece of mind.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From what I've seen, Cracker Barrel "RV parking", normally located behind the store, is a high theft area. We don't park there anyway because they aren't long enough for my and toad.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #39

Video is a nifty tool for the cops to investigate crimes after the fact. But....
How far will authorites go, and how fast, with petty theft or crimes less than grand larceny? If they make an arrest, there is possible court time/testimony?
Likely, the perp pleads out and you have an insurance deductible to pay.

Valuables should NOT be kept in "normal" places.
Use a good safe.
Use the dead bolt lock.
Dont stop in known risk areas.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #40

I agree, the video is only a valuable investigative tool, however, if a person knows they are captured on video and that video is stored off site, he might just give that RV a pass. I have clear signs at my house indicating video survelliance is stored off site and if one can read this sign, thier picture has already been captured,

This is what I am looking for in my RV security system.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	55837 it will only be once and there last time.Once you come in you will hope you get to leave
Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a GE door alarm at Wal-Mart for $12.95. It is battery-operated with a magnet that attaches to the door. The Control unit has a key pad built in so you can select your own security code. It has both "home" and "away" modes, and the alarm is really LOUD! I found it in the hardware area next to the wireless thermometers.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote