Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

Got my comeuppance today

Driving over to pick up our Daughter at the car dealer where she was having some work done on her car, I have a brief moment where I was convinced that I was indeed, not a slave of technology. I could drive from one side of town to the other without the use of a GPS, or any other gizmo.

Wasn't 5 minutes later that I realized that I had passed my exit. So, I took the next exit intending to turn around, get back on the Interstate, and correct that little oversight. But, the exit I chose did not have a way to get back on, going the opposite direction, so I wandered around for awhile, trying to find an on ramp before finally pulling over to call Peg and ask for directions, only to discover that my cell phone was out of minutes, and did not work.

Next choice would be to find a pay phone if I could, but don't ya know, I did not have any money on me, so that idea was gone. I finally found a Shell station, and actually went in and asked for directions back to the Interstate. Very nice young lady steered me in the right direction, and I was soon back on track.

But, for awhile there, I had no idea where I was, no GPS, no maps, no way to contact anyone, and no money or ID.

So, it would appear that I am a bit more dependent on technology than I care to believe.

Ken Gasbarri

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

Maybe, but it also sounds like you are still able to work down the ladder of things to do when things go wrong and yes, sometimes the last rung is pulling in to whatever and asking for directions. Of course if they don't know, then you run around asking somebody else. Of course if the directions are wrong...well there it goes.

Sometimes GPS is wrong. Sometimes I'm thinking about something and miss an exit. I have been known to drive 20 minutes past an exit thinking about something to finally wake up and go back.

If you get lost and don't know what to do next...or stand in one place looking up at the sky until someone puts their arm around you...they often put you into a facility at that point...so be glad to be able to still work down the ladder of solutions.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I luv it, actually talked to another human , asked for help, and got it.
Maybe there's hope for us yet!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Even with the GPS we can get "temporarily misplaced". Trying to find our way to the Los Angeles International Airport the Hertz rental car Never Lost GPS told us to "Turn right on A Report Boulevard". We drove down this road and suddenly the Never Lost GPS said "Make a U turn and then make a left on A Report Boulevard". We made the U Turn and drove when the Never Lost GPS said "Make a U turn and then make a right on A Report Boulevard". Suddenly my wife started to laugh and said "The GPS lady is saying Airport Boulevard not A Report Boulevard!

As my Daddy used to say "Help, this world it passing me by"
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

You know, it is strange that just a few days ago, we were wondering just how we found our way before GPS. I don't recall having a lot of maps in the car, but I also don't recall having a problem finding my way.

Somehow, I seem to have lost my ability to go from point "A" to point "B" without our GPS. Of course, one problem I have now is that Peg will disagree with the GPS and even though I know better, I will follow Peg's directions and get lost every time. I would follow the GPS' instructions, but when we get home, the GPS stays in the car, and Peg comes inside with me, where there are knives, hammers, and other weapons of me destruction.

But, like others, I have had our GPS get me lost more than once. I've been sitting in the parking lot of a U.S. Post Office, and did a search for a Post Office, and it would direct me to one thirty miles away.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 02-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Perhaps you might want to consider one of the unlimited minute phone plans. They are relatively cheap and you will never be out of minutes when a true emergency arises.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Ah...NO!!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
. . .Very nice young lady steered me in the right direction, and I was soon back on track. . .

Ken Gasbarri
OOOOOOOHHHHHH MAAAAAANNNNN! Didja have to admit that A WOMAN gave you directions, now all the poor husbands out there will NEVER hear the end of "why don't you stop and ask directions?"
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #9

Old joke about why does it takes 100,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

"cause they are too stubborn to stop and get directions!!

Its heredity, men!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I was on my way to the woodworking show in Columbus Ohio. Going south on US 23 the GPS said to keep right on to east I-270 so I kept right. I was committed now to west I-270 and going onto the ramp when I noticed the construction sign that said east I-270 keep in center lane
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cruising around with no ID? I think you have more than a tech. problem. Short memory? Can't remember drivers license?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Actually Watson, no. I do not have a memory problem, short or long term. I would sit and explain it to you, but it would appear you have already come to a conclusion that works for you, so no need for facts.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 02-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
Driving over to pick up our Daughter at the car dealer where she was having some work done on her car, I have a brief moment where I was convinced that I was indeed, not a slave of technology. I could drive from one side of town to the other without the use of a GPS, or any other gizmo.

Wasn't 5 minutes later that I realized that I had passed my exit. So, I took the next exit intending to turn around, get back on the Interstate, and correct that little oversight. But, the exit I chose did not have a way to get back on, going the opposite direction, so I wandered around for awhile, trying to find an on ramp before finally pulling over to call Peg and ask for directions, only to discover that my cell phone was out of minutes, and did not work.

Next choice would be to find a pay phone if I could, but don't ya know, I did not have any money on me, so that idea was gone. I finally found a Shell station, and actually went in and asked for directions back to the Interstate. Very nice young lady steered me in the right direction, and I was soon back on track.

But, for awhile there, I had no idea where I was, no GPS, no maps, no way to contact anyone, and no money or ID.

So, it would appear that I am a bit more dependent on technology than I care to believe.

Ken Gasbarri
Ken, you've brought shame on all mankind! Imagine, a man asking for directions!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

It was my feminine side..........I swear

Ken Gasbarri