Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Gout OUCH!

Anyone else here suffer from gout attacks?

Sitting here suffering and waiting for anti inflammatory drugs to help. I was diagnosed with this long ago and with regular use of allopurinol rarely, like this is the first one in years, get an attack.

Funny thing is that they really haven't pinned the cause down to one thing but in my case I am pretty sure it is some kind of weird spice. The last bad one I had was years ago after at work we had a "chili cook off" at lunch. Next day ouch. This time I believe it was from an instant Asian hot soup, the only thing I can think of that I ate that was any different.

The normal things they blamed it on were rich food, shell fish especially shrimp and alcoholic beverages. Well I can eat a load of shrimp and nothing. I am a homebrewer so lets just say I get "enough" beer and never a flare up. I helps if you drink plenty of water to flush out the uric acid.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

I can eat shrimp but when I eat Lobster I can't walk for 3 days I feel for you that is a hurting thing I go to the Doctor and get a shot and it helps for a little while
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Anyone else here suffer from gout attacks?

Sitting here suffering and waiting for anti inflammatory drugs to help. I was diagnosed with this long ago and with regular use of allopurinol rarely, like this is the first one in years, get an attack.

Funny thing is that they really haven't pinned the cause down to one thing but in my case I am pretty sure it is some kind of weird spice. The last bad one I had was years ago after at work we had a "chili cook off" at lunch. Next day ouch. This time I believe it was from an instant Asian hot soup, the only thing I can think of that I ate that was any different.

The normal things they blamed it on were rich food, shell fish especially shrimp and alcoholic beverages. Well I can eat a load of shrimp and nothing. I am a homebrewer so lets just say I get "enough" beer and never a flare up. I helps if you drink plenty of water to flush out the uric acid.
Beans wll get you.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I can eat shrimp but when I eat Lobster I can't walk for 3 days I feel for you that is a hurting thing I go to the Doctor and get a shot and it helps for a little while
Hoping not to have to get the shot, hydrocortizone maybe? Did have one once. Limped into the Dr.'s office, danced out.

Anyone who has not felt a gout attack has no idea how much fun it is. Kind of like someone jamming a hot poker in your joint and leaning on it. Worse part is I'm not one to sit still long so it drives me nuts too.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

If you're taking "water pills" (sorry, but I forgot the actual name) for high blood pressure, you might want to back off on them. It eliminated my gout problems.
lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkg907 View Post
If you're taking "water pills" (sorry, but I forgot the actual name) for high blood pressure, you might want to back off on them. It eliminated my gout problems.
Hydrochlorothiazide, HCTZ or BP medication combinations including the same.

If you call your Dr. a 3 day course of high dose cortisone type medication might be beneficial, depending on any other medical conditions.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. This is the first thread I've ever seen about gout! I'm one who began having big trouble when I was in my late 30s. Had a family doctor who diagnosed it right but kept treating the attacks with things like 'colchocine' which offered relief in a day or so but at the cost of spending some serious time in the john. It took him far too many years to put me on Allopurinol and (knock on wood) I haven't had a real attack in the >15 years since. Occasional symptoms that remind me of it but certainly not an attack.

I remember when my GP finally referred me to a hematologist because I was having such severe attacks. He walked into the examining room... took one look at me and said "you have gout". I asked how he could tell and he said "only people with gout come in here wearing a jogging suit and over sized fuzzy house slippers!" It's true. Just the thought of trying to pull socks on would drive me over the edge.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allopurinol works wonders for me. Have been taking it for years. On the very rare occasions that I have a flare up, generally in the ankle or elbow, a couple of Indomethacin 75 MG will clear it right up. I keep a scrip for that but never have used more than couple before the med is outdated and I have to reup it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks fellow gout sufferers. No water pills or blood pressure problems so that part is good. Never heard of beans being a cause but never heard of anyone else besides myself getting an attack from spice.

I had an old scrip for Nambumatone a NSAID like Indomethacin. Been swallowing them and at that point where it doesn't hurt sitting still and can do a short distance without screaming

Like the fuzzy slippers story Rick. Yesterday I couldn't get my left flip flop on comfortably and had DW drag my old crutches out of the garage.

I was told a long time ago when it first started that "all that beer you drink isn't good for your joints and what are you going to do about that?" I said limp.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Indocin works great for me. Within a day or 2 it's gone.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Thanks fellow gout sufferers. No water pills or blood pressure problems so that part is good. Never heard of beans being a cause but never heard of anyone else besides myself getting an attack from spice.

I had an old scrip for Nambumatone a NSAID like Indomethacin. Been swallowing them and at that point where it doesn't hurt sitting still and can do a short distance without screaming

Like the fuzzy slippers story Rick. Yesterday I couldn't get my left flip flop on comfortably and had DW drag my old crutches out of the garage.

I was told a long time ago when it first started that "all that beer you drink isn't good for your joints and what are you going to do about that?" I said limp.
Beans are high in Uric acid, one of the main causes for gout.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Beans are high in Uric acid, one of the main causes for gout.
Thanks Cliff I didn't know about the uric acid in beans. One of the things I can eat lots of (gassless ones of course) and not get an attack. Go figure.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is triggered by drinking too much beer and sweating out all of my water in this heat. If I drink for more than one night (I have a karaoke business, so I do partake in a few,) and play horseshoes all day Sunday in the hot sun, I can count on falling on my face when I try to get up Tuesday morning. I have trouble not drinking my favorite beverage, and being in a horseshoe pitching club keeps me out in the heat too much.

My doctor tried all of the conventional medicines and then hit on the 'Magic pill' for me. It is the prescription version of Aleve. It is called Naproxen and it knocks it out in a day or so. I only take it when I feel an attack coming on. I hate NSAIDS, but don't take it that often. The over the counter pills don't seem to do the same thing for some silly reason.
Horseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
For my father-in-law, 5 cherries a day worked wonders!
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote