Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
My wife in her 30s contracted gout because of the Atkins diet. As soon as she started eating right, no more gout.
Healthy food is good health care.
Medicine is 'sick care'.
Most if not all of our ailments can be cured by eating only organic healthy foods.
Atkins diet does not consist of healthy food.
So pleased to hear your wife took this route and found success.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Posted by stink:
"My wife in her 30s contracted gout because of the Atkins diet. As soon as she started eating right, no more gout. "

Atkins diet is a potential problem for anyone with kidney disorders as it may put too large a protein load on the kidneys.
It can also be particularly bad for people with gout or with borderline problems with protein/purine metabolism.
The induction phase of the Adkins diet is particularly bad since in addition to eating excess protein whch puts a load on the purine metabolic system, there is increased fats which can inhibit excretion of uric acid. Worse the goal is to induce ketosis which can further aggravate gout. It can be a perfect storm brewing for the gout or borderline gout individual.
Irene

Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
Here's a good site with easy-to-understand information on gout.
What Is Gout? A Form of Arthritis Caused by High Uric Acid Levels in the Blood
x2 This is an excellent site. Lots of good understandable information.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
DMSO or dimethyl sulfoxide is a solvent that is easily absorbed into the skin. It is frequently used as a pain relieving linement for horses.
It has been touted and sold as a cure for many things, most of which is unfounded. But it can relieve pain.
Unfortunately it is a neurotoxin and can cause some very serious harm. That's why approval for human use is very narrow. One should never just buy it and use it which is what sadly some people do. It seems great, the fantastic panacea ..... until a complication occurs. There are other safer and effective means to treat the conditions for which it is used.
Sometimes people don't understand that things that are absorbed through the skin can cause some serious systemic effects, it may not be just in the area applied.

Irene
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #47

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree - we used DMSO on horses but always with gloves on. Pregnant women were never to use it either. I don't know if it is even approved for human use in the US
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DMSO (DIMETHYLSULFOXIDE): Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

This is some intresting stuff however the side effects may NOT be worth the gain.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #49

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
FDA website says it is approved only for interstitial cystitis. Off label use for inflammatory conditions is what many people use it for, back in the day I saw it used in training rooms mostly with runners.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I've had gout for the past 25 years and can sure sympathize with the OP. There no other pain quite like it.

But, I'm in the same boat as wendyjeff below in that I've taken Alopurinol for the past 15 years and haven't had any attacks since... knock on wood.

Before they put me on Alopurinol, they treated attacks with Colchicine which would knock the symptoms out in one day... but the side effects require you to stay very near a bathroom during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjeff View Post
I've been taking 300mg of Alopurinol for about 10 years. Used to have flare ups about once a year. Had a uric acid test done where you pee in a jug for 24 hours and they checked my uric acid. I have not had a problem since. No change in diet or lifestyle.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
I agree - we used DMSO on horses but always with gloves on. Pregnant women were never to use it either. I don't know if it is even approved for human use in the US
Yes, it is approved for human use but with a narrow range of indications. Like all prescription medicines it is not inocuous. Any compound or chemical with biologic effects which can be helpful, can also be harmful and requires consideration of risks and benefits and monitoring.
One of the problems since this is also used in industry, is the ready availablitiy. Industrial grade DMSO is very risky. It is not purified and regulated in the same way as medicinal grade. Therefore it is relatively easy and inexpensive to make into products that end up for human use. The impurities can get carried into the blood increasing the inherent risk of the DMSO. Furthemore DMSO can effect the way other medicines work in the body, either increasing or decreasing effects which can enhance their toxicities or make them less effective. It can go either way. If the prescribing physician doesn't know what one is taking (and this is frequently not reported) he or she may have difficulty in properly regulating the dosage of the other medicines and not understand why. This can again increase risks.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #52

Uloric Acid also has some very bad side effects.Uloric Side Effects Hidden By Takeda, Whistleblower Alleges - AboutLawsuits.com

When we raised horses I used DMSO for sprains, stretched tendons, bruises, etc. It IS a solvent, meaning anything already on the skin will be carried into the underlying tissue with absorption of DMSO. It is important to thoroughly wash the area prior to applying DMSO to remove any unknown residue that may be harmful to the horse. BUUTE, a strong painkiller for horses is also used by some people for the same purpose, BUT_ it can/will cause internal organ damage in humans.
I do not even consider using products not approved for humans.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
Yes, it is approved for human use but with a narrow range of indications.
Approved by whom for human use?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post

Approved by whom for human use?
The FDA. I'm a physician and its in the PDR for humans for certain limited indications.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
The FDA. I'm a physician and its in the PDR for humans for certain limited indications.
Well, we all know the FDA has made many mistakes in their historic past, no perhaps not entirely safe to blindly accept their approval.
If you look at the FDA websites, they put the blame outside of themselves.
But if you look elsewhere, you can find court cases where they were forced to take responsibility.

Drugmaker, FDA, Both Admit to Mistakes in Recall

Testimony Assessing the U.S. Drug Safety System

The 20th Anniversary of the FDA's Biggest Mistake | Rodale News
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #56

While I'm not a physician, I do read quite a lot of scientific articles year in and year out and Trekkers has stated exactly what I've found in the literature. I hope this tread doesn't degrade into a fight over the FDA. It's about gout and the good doctor has taken time from his day to enlighten us and add his valuable insight and experience. For that I thank him.

Thanks, Trekker!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote