Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
HE is a SHE. DH is a minister.
Relative to the FDA, I'm not a total fan either but they do their best to prevent really dangerous drugs from approval. They have prevented tragedies (one of the most notable ones being the thalidomide birth defects that occurred all over Europe but NOT HERE thanks to the FDA which wouldn't approve it). All of the risks of drugs are not apparent until thousands have used them for many years. Some drugs however are so dangerous that the danger can be recognized immediately.
Wouldn't it be great if no one ever made any mistakes! But since we all do, does that mean that everything we do is totally worthless?
Of course, since everyone makes mistakes maybe we shouldn't pay any attention to anything anyone says ever. REAL SMART, EH!!!
They have on rare occasion, (considering the total number of drugs they screen) approved drugs that later had to be withdrawn. Does that mean that they should be doing no screening at all, or that we should feel free to use drugs they have determined are too toxic or ineffective to receive approval?

Irene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I, too have gout. The pain is as bad as kidney stones or birth pains ( have had both). I have been taking Uloric since 2008 without any flare ups or side effects. There is no generic for it so it is costly. Fortunately, I have excellent Medicare supplemental & I get it through my mail order prescription.

Ginny

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #59

Sorry, Irene. No disrespect intended. Thanks for being here on the forum.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went to a pain clinic yesterday and was told they can give me an injection in the joint. Its not so much for the gout but the OA associated with it. I go back in a month to get injections in toe and my thumb. He even told about an option for my knee pain involving stunning the nerves to stop the pain for 6-18 months. They don't have the machine yet for doing it so thats down the road.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Over the last 6 months I have had gout more then I haven"t
I could not sleep last night it hurt so bad it is in the joint in my big toe
I am currently taking Allopurinol and Colcrys I go to the Doctor and he tells me what I already know and charges $165.00 If I eat seafood before I leave the Restaurant my toe is hurting No seafood this week and in a lot of pain
I am 52 years old has any body else had this and what do you do
Water!, Water!, Water! I also am on Allopurinal and rarely get gout anymore. When It does flare up, I can usually pin it on not drinking enough water. Beer and soda do not count.

good luck.
msdevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Rodney Krantz wrote:

Over the last 6 months I have had gout more then I haven"t I could not sleep last night it hurt so bad it is in the joint in my big toe I am currently taking Allopurinol and Colcrys I go to the Doctor and he tells me what I already know and charges $165.00 If I eat seafood before I leave the Restaurant my toe is hurting No seafood this week and in a lot of pain I am 52 years old has any body else had this and what do you do.

Rodney,

A friend of mine took binamin (benemid - don't know how it's spelled) - anyway another type of gout medicine. You might ask your doctor to try another gout med for you (obviously the allopurinol isn't cutting it). It's worth a chance. Different classes and medicines work better for some people.

Jim ( the non-doctor in the family)
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #63

The way to control gout is to get a list of foods high in purines and start eliminating as many of those foods as possible. Next is hydration drink lots of water, plain water with if possible a neutral PH.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
I refer to this list, among others, when choosing foods. I pick from the items at or near the bottom.

Purine: List of Foods High and Low in Purine Content
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #65

Those considering increasing their water intake as a preventative should note that most bottled water on the shelves these days (something like 95%) is simply tap water, filtered, and put into a plastic bottle. Something you can do yourself. Worse, many of them have added salts. Something you definitely don't want.

Many big box stores carry gallon jugs of distilled water for around $1.50.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Those considering increasing their water intake as a preventative should note that most bottled water on the shelves these days (something like 95%) is simply tap water, filtered, and put into a plastic bottle. Something you can do yourself. Worse, many of them have added salts. Something you definitely don't want.

Many big box stores carry gallon jugs of distilled water for around $1.50.
I just read an article that said bottled water has no minerals in it so it depletes your body of minerals and is more harmful than tap water.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #67

Uloric. Gout attacks gone.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I just read an article that said bottled water has no minerals in it so it depletes your body of minerals and is more harmful than tap water.
Bottled water has an ingredients label. Check that out and for most brands you'll find that they add salts. Something like 90% of them are just tap water that's been filtered, then salts are added.

If you eat any vegetables, you'll get plenty of minerals.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On the subject of Gout I would stay as far away from most of the advice on here but that put forth by Irene, she at least has training. Some advocate product that at best can be described by Mark Twain / Samuel Clemmons as 'Snake Oil Treatments.'

Cut an paste artists can be so compelling extolling their version of the truth, but they are still advocating for "Snake Oils."
In a past life I was involved in the 'bottled water industry' and it is all TAP WATER and listen to and thoroughly read the bull they use to promote their product. Most require you to pay more for normal everyday products but with fashionable labels.

Watch your diet and you will find that beers, wine and booze can be ingested along with steak, prawns, crab, lobster and a whole whack of other foods previously posted as no nos here if you do it properly.

I know how much it hurts as I had it but the operative for me is "HAD."

At one time GOUT was called a rich man's disease and the reason was that only the rich could afford the foods that caused gout.

Don't get waylaid by agenda pushers.

You will find that free advice is worth what you pay for it in most cases; even this. Bwahahahahaha
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #70

Try going to the MAYO clinic they have some good advice. When I get a attack of gout I keep my foot elevated with ice and 800 mg,s of Iperpoen. drink lots of water ( I mean lots) get well no booze