RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Gout! Ugh!!!

Hey Gang,
Well, I've heard of it for years and years but, until just a couple of days ago, I'm pretty sure I've never experienced it. Yeah, I know, this is an RV forum but, I'm in the general conversation area ok? Anywho, here's the symptom/sign, (old EMT talk from my career). Everything's been hunky-dory with this 67 year old body of mine, pretty much up to this point. But, two mornings ago, I woke up with this pretty dang strong pain in my left BIG TOE.

Now, for the life of me, I can't remember if I stubbed it on anything. I didn't kick anything, and it's not black and blue. But, IT HURTS! And, it's just around the big, left toe. One of the signs is supposed to be redness all around that big toe. Nope, none of that. Now, I cruised the I-net to check for cause and, what I've found so far is red meat, which I eat plenty of and always have. Soda, which I down a can, possibly two a day, if I'm in the mood, but not a heavy soda drinker. Alcohol. Now, on that, both the wife and I consume, if we're anywhere near accurate, maybe, MAYBE, about 25-50 ounces a year. And those are little girl drinks like daiquiris and strawberry or Mango Margaritas. I hate beer and so does the wife.

So, my question is, can anyone advise me on this? Yeah, I know, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Well, we're kind-a traveling right now and that's kind-a out of the question. So, is there any "home remedies" that I might try? Who's had it and, how long did it last, without going to the doc?
Scott
So,

So,

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

canned black cherry juice.....

Isabellawind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #3

Tonic with lime (no booze). Quinine is good for gout.

I usually get a tonic water with slice of lime in an on the rocks glass. I don't drink when I'm on the bike and this protects my manhood at the bar. Only my bartender knows for sure.

Ö.and, yes. Go see a doctor.
RI Expat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Black cherry juice works for us. Lakewood or any brand that says 100% pure juice, not from concentrate. How much is all over the map if you Google. I usually do 4-5 ounces 3x a day. Gone after one day if you catch it early, but I do an extra day. Always keep a bottle in the fridge.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Your goal is to reduce your Uric Acid levels.

My DW has had some extremely bad attacks in her feet over the past three years. Right now she is 6 months without an attack.

Stress, red meat, soda, alcohol and anything that tastes good is forbidden if you want continued relief.

There is no immediate cure, or fun cure....

But your doctor can prescribe some heavy duty pain killers.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #6

Self diagnosis is never a good idea...

Go to an Emergency Room, an Urgent Care Clinic, a VA Hospital (if veteran)

Self diagnosis can lead to amputation ...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #7

I experienced a 10 week bout of gout earlier this year.
At one point I could not wear a shoe on that foot, slept in a recliner with my foot elevated, and hobbled around with a cane.
I can tell you from experience the level of pain from just touching the toe that gout causes.
My doctor put me on an I.V. drip for 8 days, a bone scan and eventually on anti-inflammatory meds that slowly reduced the pain.
Once the meds ran out I went 4 days, and the pain started to return, so back on the meds and will continue for a while.
It is now 5 months later and the toe is still a bit tender.
I agree with an earlier post about Uric Acid and the dietary things you need to cut out such as Licorish, Chocolate, Ice Cream, Tomato Sauce and Soft Drinks.
I am not a huge red meat eater, and basically a non-drinker.
Definitely see a doctor or walk-in clinic, and all the best for a speedy recovery.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

Like already stated see a doctor. It can be caused by high Uric acid levels in your blood but you can get it with normal levels. Get tested and if you have high levels they can prescribe a pill taken daily that will help. If no high Uric acid then you need to figure out what your triggers are. Look back 3 to 5 days and think about what you ate. Sometimes eating certain foods will trigger it. The fact that you are here talking about it tells me your case is not very bad. When it flares in me it can hurt so bad you can not walk. Pulling a sheet over yourself and touching your foot brings big time pain. When I feel it coming on I drink large amounts of water to help flush my system. My triggers are red meat, beer, shrimp or shell fish, rich foods like pasta with a heavy sauce. My cure is to take a prednisone blister pack. Always have one in my position. For this reason you need to get with a doc and get tested. I feel your pain I live with gout also. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I know, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Well, we're kind-a traveling right now and that's kind-a out of the question.
How does traveling make a trip to a doctor out of the question? There are thousands of urgent care facilities in this country that would love to bill Medicare for your visit, and of course you would also have a co-pay.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Gout relief

Have had numerous gout attacks over the years, and indeed gout is a bully. If youíve had problems with specific joints, it will attack there. For me, my big toe, my ankle ( which Iíve broken a couple of times) and my knee were all attacked at times. For acute attacks, medical types like us use a med called Colchicine and an anti inflammatory called indomethicine. But that was some time ago. My RN wife had Drs prescribe colchicine until the patient got the runs. Indomethicine is hard on the gut, so prevention, as usual is better than the cure.
Iíve been on Allupurinol 300 mg for about 15 years and havenít had an episode since.
As for a home remedy, you can try stinging nettle tea. Itís available in most natural or herbal health stores.

Avoid foods high in purines. Seafood, beef liver, red wine etc. Look up the list of food high in purines and avoid them.

I still enjoy some of the above foods and wines, but the Allupurinol is the prevention as is watching how much of the bad stuff that I eat.

Good luck. I know your pain.

Cheers

DJ
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Pain Killers

You know to stay away from them! They just mask the symptoms and donít really offer anything near a cure. And we all see the hazards throughout our society of the risks with pain killers and the doctors who are more than willing (or used to be) to dispense them like aspirin. But, as a former EMT, you know that. Just saying the aforementioned for the benefit of others...
Comments from others have been spot on. Have your Uric acid levels measured at a clinic and get a scrip for something to moderate your symptoms. Then ask a Doc if Allupurinol would be the answer for you.

But do try the stinging nettle tea and lots of water.

DJ
Old 10-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That's what telemedicine is for. Most insurance will cover it.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #13

Do you take blood pressure meds? There is one particular drug that is known to cause gout for some folks.....it did for me many years ago. The Doctor switched me to another med, and no more attacks for me.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #14

My mother got gout at 88. Your life style will need to change especially what you eat. There is a simple blood test and medication to manage it. If left unchecked at your age you risk more than a sore toe. See a doctor change your diet.
You can alleviate some of the discomfort with organic cherry juice NOTHING like a cherry juice drink! Gout can cause serious damage that you cannot reverse.
Please take care of yourself.
Best wishes