Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's another entry in the GPS navigator field. It's from Hyundai and called the Pontus. Sounds similar to the Garmin 2610. And the price offered by Geeks.com sure looks great!

Hyundai Pontus $399

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #30
I recently purchased a Garmin iQue 3600. What a neat device! Not only is it a GPS mapping/talk to you device, but it's a full fledged Palm PDA. I got the unit, software, and vehicle dock for less than $300. It does have a learning curve, but once you've figured out all the wonderful things it does, you'll never leave home (or campground) without it. The PDA interfaces with the mapping software, so you can pull up an address via the phone book and tell the unit to map to that address. Also a great way to keep all of your personal data handy without a laptop to lug around.

TipanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #31
Nor'easters Club
Hi all I have the garmin 2610 and the delome gps the garmin is nice to use and I can just put it on the bean bag mount so that I can talk it from rv to car the garmin can also hook up to my laptop if I want the big screen to look at but I have found that even with the jotto desk that I installed to hold the laptop it gets in my field of view and makes me nervous while driving I can just put the garmin in my dash just over the ac vent where my backup monitor is and I can see it and not have that big blind spot that my laptop makes for me.

I have also found that when not using the garmin and using the delome unit and software on the laptop that at times if the road is bumppy the software locks up and unless you are really watching it you do not know that it has until you missed your exit and have to reboot the system and then back track to get to were you wanted to be.

I have never had this happen to me when I was using the garmin 2610 unit I have all the maps on the laptop so when I get to where I am going if the map is not on the card of the 2610 I can just add it and off we go to date I have not had any trouble with the garmin although the new 7 inch screen unit that is coming out just for RV's is looking really good have to buy the DW somthing really nice so she will let me get new toy.

Mark & Joanne Bento
FMCA Member
Mark Bento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #32
Hey Tipanring,

I have an iQue M5 which I believe is similar to your 3600. How do you get to the phonebook to call up a street address, in fact I'm not sure what you are calling the phonebook. I'm still learning this thing as it has a ton of features, way more than just a GPS. It's an ideal mobile office if you are still working or if you just want all your data in one place as you travel.

Brywick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
For those using the Garmin 2610, 2 gigabyte CF memory chips are now available over the Internet for <$100 that will provide sufficient map storage for all of North America - just like the 2620's hard disc. The 2610 with 2 gb CF card is commonly used on motorcycles where vibration might create a problem for the 2620's micro hard disc.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #34
Neil does the type of laptop matter. Mine is a macintosh?
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #35
Originally posted by Magoo:
Neil does the type of laptop matter. Mine is a macintosh?

Sorry but I have not looked into the Macintosh option.

They are nice machines however as head of maintenence for a manufacturer of modular offices I supervised the installation of a few thousand offices in New England and only had one set up with a Macintosh. While working in the Digital Mapping industry on Government, Utility and GPS mapping projects which included providing much of the core C-Map data for the digital map cartridges and downloads used by many GPS units, we did not use a single Macintosh. Now I am working in the Media Measurement industry and there are no Macintosh computers here either. Since they have never been a viable option in any business that I have been involved with, I really don't give them much notice.

Schools and some publishing/graphics design businesses use them and people that own them seem to really like them. You would have to check out the GPS option where you would normally go to search for Mac hardware and software or maybe another member who has looked into the Mac option can steer you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:01 AM   #36
To; All, re; GPS, systems,

Sorry I was off topic in my previous postings.

I am now getting into a gps finding mode and want to grt software for my Dell lap-top.

I've seen ads for Delorme and Co-Pilot,

Is anyone using either of these programs??

Any pros,or cons with either. I think the co=pilot is more expensive, but don't know if it has more to it than Delorme.

Any feed-back would be appreciated.

Thanks== Aime=== AJBJRVERS
ajbjrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #37
I have the Delorme and have used it on my first trip to Tombstone where I am right now.

It's fantastic. I used it when I had to change routes and we (my co-pilot) was able to tell where to turn, etc.

It also talks to you and you can talk to it. Haven't figure that out yet, maybe on the way home tomorrow.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #38
To' Webster'

Thanks for the input regerding your Delorme, I have to figure out a shelf/holder for lap-top below dash but off floor enough to use. How did you solve that problem?

Thanks==Aime=== AJBJRVERS
ajbjrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #39
I have a National and it has a slide-out draw on the DW's side. Actually, I have her run the program (looking for gas stations, watching for the turns, turning the machine on when needed, etc.). The voice comes on and tells us when we are approaching destinations. It saved me some problems when I needed to change highways and the ramp was on the left instead of the right as most are. It was also very helpful in finding the next gas station.

I use the trip routing and study it the night before, so I don't look at the computer screen...the DW does and answers any questions I might have. I'm going to let her drive the Toad next time we go to Palo Alto and I'm going to use the Delorme so I can see it working.

I love it. I'm going to get the 3-D software next. Now, if it would just give me the weather.

BTW, I was born in Boston and raised in Center Ossipee, NH. Left there in '61 when I joined the Navy. We're going to make it back there in September.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 AM   #40
I used Co-Pilot on our trip to Alaska last year. Even up there it did quite well.
Buddy & Jenna Kidd

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Garmin and this year I updated it with MetroGuide for North America. The program "MapSource" loads on our laptop where we can plan the trip and upload to the Garmin.

Works great!

Happy Trails, Gary
2006 Excursion 39S, Freightliner, Cat 350
2010 Honda Fit and Buster, the wonder dog
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote