Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
''grab something ...''

Oh listen ….... ''A TRAIN''

Willa loves to hear trains. There is something about the ''jingle'' of the train that she just loves.
We were in ''somewhere'' Montana as I remember. It was one of those small towns with two stoplights and several bars and restaurants and places to buy cowboy stuff. We drove thur town and seen a sign that said ''city park'' and it had an icon of a camper. We decided to stop for the nite and enjoy the small town ambiance. We followed the signs and finally found the campground. It was very nice with about fifteen spaces and they were all big spots. We drove around toward the back side of the campground and noticed no one was back there. It was one of those self registration places and we grabbed a spot on the back. We pulled in and noticed that there was a very thick cluster of trees and undergrowth on the left side of our coach. In fact it was so thick you could not really see thur it. Willa started cooking supper and things were going great. She put supper on the table while I watched TV and we setteled down to eat. Way out in the far back Willa heard a train whistle.
“Oh listen honey,,,,,,,,,, I hear a train whistle,,,,,''
Giving a careful listen, I heard the train whistle also. It sounded a mile or so away.
''Oh honey, I hope it comes by somewhere kinda close so we can enjoy the rattle of the wheels on the steel rails dont you?''
We went back to eating and a few minutes later we heard the whistle again. Closer this time but still far away …............ Willa smiled at me and I sorta grinned ….
About five minutes later we heard the whistle again and it was no more than half a mile from us.
Unbeknownst to us, the train tracks were on the other side of the trees and undergrowth no more than twenty yards from the side of the motor home.
''Oh honey, I believe it is going to be closer than we thought''........
It was. In a couple of minutes the whistle sounded again and windows in the coach rattled. As the train went by us, the dishes started walking across the table and the light over the table went out. Our glasses of tea started jiggling and the tea sloshed out on the table.
“Holly Cat Stuff......... Grab something and hold on '' ….............
The train finally passed and our coach had moved sideways about a foot.....
Later that evening we discovered that it was a ''double track'' outside our coach and we got several situations where two trains would pass right beside our motor home.
We thought seriously about moving but decided against it because all the sights away from the tracks were already taken …... We toughed it out all nite. We were lucky in that the trains only went by every hour or so and sometimes two trains would go by at the same time . The next morning we discovered lose cabinets, a crack in the windshield, a lost hubcap, the tops off of three medicine bottles, two exploded Pepsi bottles and the table lose from the holder that affixed it to the wall. We got our 'stuff' together and got the heck out of there feeling lucky to have the coach all in one piece. From then on we always checked the proximity of railroad tracks to campgrounds we stayed in …..

On the road with Willa Gus Finnie and me.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Holy Cat Stuff

I'm sure this is for real, don't think anyone would make that up.
I know of a RV park in Hudson, Colorado like yours, it's nestled between a service station and rail road tracks with hourly lumber trains, wildest part is they close and lock the gate at 10pm.
We moved the next day and slept all day and all night.
Larry

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #3

I stayed in a campground in Florida one time. Should have noticed the entrance crossed over tracks. The Tropicana express went thru at 2 am.When we asked the permanent residents about the train they said what train?We didn't stay long enough to get used to it.Larrygrandpa, If you have read any of Seajay's posts you know they are all 100% true.
BOB
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were in a similar park in Washington state. The train tracks were only about 20 FEET behind our rig. We like trains too so didn't worry much about it. This was a main line with a siding. It was great fun when a train pulled onto the siding and the engines were right behind us and sat there idling and shaking and expelling smoky diesel exhaust for a half hour or so. Our rig just sat there and vibrated and filled up with stinky exhaust! We never went back to that park.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bob.... You are a true gentleman and I thank you for your confidence in me. One thing I would like to stress here and now. Most of my postings are based on true fact as the situation happened. I will give this ''disclaimer'' at this time for all to see. Occasionally the ''fish that got away'' was deceptively large and I would like to guarantee that it actually was , on occasion, I will ''embellish a story'' with Poets liberties just enough to make it a little more fun and a lot more interesting. However, most of my stories are based on facts and actual ''happenings'' that I have seen or participated in during my travels. One thing I would never embellish is my stories about Veterans. The one about ''touching history'' actually happened to me the way it was written. It is true of fact as I know it. The stories about my encounters with God are true of fact like the story about Munch Lake up in Canada because it would take a damn fool to mess with the Big Man. Death Valley actually happened to me. My story about the happening at Gettysburg at Little Round Top was as real as life and I transcribed it just the way it happened. Some things are too sacred to be messed with. The love I have for My Willa that I put in my writings is as true as life and I do so swear by that before man. Yes, I have stood and cried at Arlington and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and I have stood in the presence of ''great men and women'' that fought for this country in the world wars and the un declared wars of this nation. I ''served'' but I would not make a good ''pimple'' on these peoples butt when it comes to ''service to this nation''.

You might kinda watch me when it comes to my puppies.. Amazingly enough, Gypsy dont actually carry a 44 magnum, Gus the wonder dog actually can not read your mind and Finnious Foghorn Farnsworth is not actually from Fillidelphia. My stories about going to Alaska and cook outs and the fishing on the Alcan and the ''crossing the border'' thing were 'helped' some to make them more interesting. Some of my stuff is pure satire and it is meant to entertain but it has a basis of fact.
One thing I want everyone to remember. I have owned campers since 1995 and I have traveled probably a quarter of a million miles since I got hooked on the travel bug back in 61/62 so I got memories on top of memories and when you are old they all kinda seem to run together some of the time.

Anyhow, thanks for the vote of confidence and I really hope everyone enjoys my postings......

God bless our troops and bring them home real soon and safe too.
God bless our Veterans, they have insured our freedom since back in ''1776''

nuff said for now ....
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Seajay & Willa:

Thanks for the great train track story. My wife, Lynette, LOVES the sound of trains as well. Has to do with her growing up in a VERY small house next to the tracks (on the "wrong" side ) running through a little South Dakota town named Parkston.

We did, however, almost get our fill of that magic train sound while spending 3-4 weeks at a service facility in Louvier, Colorado, just S. of Denver. MAN!!!....talk about train traffic. We were parked 75 yds. from a line that had so much coal train traffic that we doubt the steel tracks ever had time to cool off between the trains, AND, wouldn't ya know, there was a side road crossing RIGHT outside the service facility which required whistles from EVERY DANG engine !!!! Funny thing, though,....ya actually DO get used to it after a time .

Thanks again for the story.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

We too have experienced a CG near train tracks. About every 45 minutes a train would wake us. We vowed to never stay there again and the following year when traveling the same route and trying to find a CG late at night we stumbled upon one and got all set up and didn't realize until a while later, it was the exact same CG as the previous year. Now we know where it is and avoid it.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seajay;
By no means was I doubting your truthfulness, We all have had train storys.
Your ability to take an unpleasent problem and expounding so well is a great gift, I would love to meet you sometime in our travels and be able to get to know you.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

When I was a kid back in England, our house was only about 100 feet from the main London to Glasgow line. There were four tracks, two for northbound trains, two for southbound. Going north was downhill from about 12 miles to the south and about 6 miles on to the north.

The express passenger trains were really moving when they came by, probably 80, maybe 90 mph and steam hauled back then. What was really scary is that there was an at-grade foot crossing and British trains didn't have headlights. It took a brave or foolhardy person to make that crossing at night.

Yes, you do get used to the noise and I sometimes found myself awake when a train that usually went by at a certain time didn't show up.

Nowadays, it's all high-speed electric and continuously welded rails, so the thunder of the locomotives and the "clickety-clack" noise are gone, but at 150 mph or so, there's still noise from the wheels on the rails. Still no headlights on many trains, but the foot crossings are gone.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
It wasn't in Havre, Montana by any chance?

There's a state park here in Oregon that's like that. It sits butted up to the main UP east bound line that follows along I-84. Park's name is Ainsworth State Park, and its part of the Scenic Highway 30 tour route that goes past all the waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge.

I've stayed there twice, both times wound up in the lower half. The first time it was annoying, the second time I didn't even notice them.

The big difference? First time, no air conditioning, had all the windows open. Second time, had air conditioning and had added on to the insulation in the rig.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I asked Willa about it and she said she thought we were on the way to Glacier National park when this happened. I distinctly remember that they locked the gate to the campground at ten oclock because we went down town to a saloon and I got into a ''low stakes poker game of Texas Holdum'' As I recall the max you could bet was about three dollars and I was playin with a bunch of ''good old boys''. I was involved in the game and Willa was setting behind the poker table with a soft drink. This cowboy ambled in and flopped down at her table and offered to buy her a drink. ''No thanks sir'',,,,,,,,,,''And just why not my pretty lady?''..............''Because my husband might take offense sir.''..... ''And where the heck is your husband to leave you in a bar alone if I may ask?'' ''He is the rather large one sitting at the Holdum table looking at you''..........lol.....
He immediately got up and tipped his hat and apologized to her, and apologized to me. I thought it was funny because he didnt know it but Willa was probably almost twice his age. I teased Willa later about it and told her that if ''He had got hold of her, she would have probably killed him''.....lol...''Nothin left of him but a big smile and a small wet spot''.....lol...
I was winning and we had to leave the saloon about 9;45 to get back to the campground or you was locked out without a code to get in. Willa said she thought it was ''White something''..... White fish, white horse, white hall, it all starts running together like veggie soup dont it? As I remember there was a cafe there that served a ''to die for'' steak sandwich. Big sorry that I cant remember the name of the town ....
For what its worth we stay down to Lake Locklosa close to Hawthorn in Fla about every winter and there is a train track not 200 feet from our camp spot. One goes by every hour on the hour and they ''blow the crossing'' at the campground. We have become so use to it that we have to listen for the train to hear it.........

Nuff said I guess, Im starting to ramble again .....
Vets day is Nov 11. (you know.....)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We found ourselves at one similar to your story in Folkston, GA, just off US17. It was the main east coast north-south track - three trains an hour!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I asked Willa about it and she said she thought we were on the way to Glacier National park when this happened. I distinctly remember that they locked the gate to the campground at ten oclock because we went down town to a saloon and I got into a ''low stakes poker game of Texas Holdum'' As I recall the max you could bet was about three dollars and I was playin with a bunch of ''good old boys''. I was involved in the game and Willa was setting behind the poker table with a soft drink. This cowboy ambled in and flopped down at her table and offered to buy her a drink. ''No thanks sir'',,,,,,,,,,''And just why not my pretty lady?''..............''Because my husband might take offense sir.''..... ''And where the heck is your husband to leave you in a bar alone if I may ask?'' ''He is the rather large one sitting at the Holdum table looking at you''..........lol.....
He immediately got up and tipped his hat and apologized to her, and apologized to me. I thought it was funny because he didnt know it but Willa was probably almost twice his age. I teased Willa later about it and told her that if ''He had got hold of her, she would have probably killed him''.....lol...''Nothin left of him but a big smile and a small wet spot''.....lol...
I was winning and we had to leave the saloon about 9;45 to get back to the campground or you was locked out without a code to get in. Willa said she thought it was ''White something''..... White fish, white horse, white hall, it all starts running together like veggie soup dont it? As I remember there was a cafe there that served a ''to die for'' steak sandwich. Big sorry that I cant remember the name of the town ....
For what its worth we stay down to Lake Locklosa close to Hawthorn in Fla about every winter and there is a train track not 200 feet from our camp spot. One goes by every hour on the hour and they ''blow the crossing'' at the campground. We have become so use to it that we have to listen for the train to hear it.........

Nuff said I guess, Im starting to ramble again .....
Vets day is Nov 11. (you know.....)
Whitefish if it was on the way to Glacier, its the nearest town on the west side of the park. Been there myself, though was traveling with family so we ended up at the local KOA.

Think I found yer park. Whitefish State Park, little bitty park next to the lake with the railroad tracks running through the back of it.

Whitefish State Park
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Redneck, I believe you hit it right in the middle. That looks like the park. For a wonderful expierence park next to the tracks and ''hang on''.......lol........