Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Grants Pass, Oregon

We are coming into Grants Pass and are wondering if anyone has info about things to see and do in Grants Pass and area. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Fred......First, we love staying at Jack's Landing when we pass through Grants Pass. It's nothing special, but they always have a nice clean park and mark a spot for you if you call them and you're coming in a little late.

Probably the best thing to see there are the Oregon Caverns. They're about 50 miles toward the coast. You'll love them if you're interested in that type of thing.

During this time of year, a raft trip on the Rogue River is always fun. There is a place in town called Orange Torpedo. They have several types of rafting trips.

If you need any work done, Henderson's Line Up is also in Grants Pass.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Thanks, we are looking at the caves as one of the must see things to do. I'm also looking for info on the I 5 south of Grants Pass. Is the Highway South steep? We are pulling a 37 foot 5er. Thanks again
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

There's a set of 6-7% grades you have to pull between Grant's Pass and Redding. Nothing terrible, but you'll want good cooling and good braks. Just take it easy and it's not a problem. The highest point on I-5 is actually south of Medford (about 200' higher than the Grapevine). But the roads themselves are in great shape.

Steve
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

Watch for X winds around Weed, CA. I-5 runs the top of the ridge through there and it can get nasty. ( At least in Nov. when I go through.)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Oregon Caves N.M. is a must see..It's an easy ride till you get to the last few miles going up to the caves and it's not suggested to take an rv up it. I know 'cuz I worked there for a couple of summers while I wuz in college..Hummm,I believe that was about 50-51 years ago.
There are also a couple of VERY good wineries on the road after you leave Cave Junction for the caves. I'm not sure if you should go wine tasting before you drive that road or after. (joke) The story goes that when the CCC built the road,the engineers were sitting around one night drinking wine and the corkscrew rolled thru a puddle of ink and then onto the map and that's how they designed the road.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

Don't forget the Oregon Vortex, Historic Jacksonville and Crater Lake. All are a days drive from Valley of the Rogue State Park. And depending on the time of year you may have the option of the Shakespearean Festival in Ashland.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Those with experience on this mountain Highway, is it worth pulling my 5er over for a 5 day trip to Redding, then returning back north to Winchester Bay via 7 feathers? Thanks for sharing your experiences....We plan to leave tomorrow.......DW says we should challenge the truck......
Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #9

Redding is about 3 and one half hours from Grants Pass and yes it is a mountain pass - actually seems like several mountain passes. South of the Oregon California border is a great rest area stop - might be the nicest in California. Whether it's worth it to pull you 5er there depends on what you want to do there, not the highway.

A few more places to check out in the Grants Pass area would be Wildlife Images and Great Cats of the World. Wildlife images is near Grants Pass and is an organization that rescues and if practical returns healthy animals & birds to the wild. They have many that can not be returned to the wild. That is good for a couple of hours. The Great Cats is at the south end of Cave Junction and it does have many types of wild cats from small to huge. You get real close to the animals and it is very interesting. There are the Rogue River Jet boats that leave from downtown Grants Pass and those are a fun ride. If you choose to take the boat ride I'd suggest you get the lunch or dinner ride. They stop and have a pretty good meal family style along the river. Another place to spend an hour or more is just north of Cave Junction. It is called It's a Burl. You can't believe the types of wood work that they do - very creative and lots of items for sale.

Like many places there are a lot of things to see and do - all it takes is time to do it.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #10

We have stayed at the Valley of the Rogue state park many times which has mostly large sites, some back in and some pull through. You can reserve online. And I can also recommend Jacksonville for a visit. Good coffee shop(s) and decent restaurants.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
South on I-5 from Grants Pass is no worse than where you came from north of Grants Pass. The only downside......once you cross the California border the roads to turn crap through the rest of the State, but are decent where you're talking about.

We love travelling north into Oregon and Washington and I always feel this sense of relief as we cross the Oregon border and the color of the asphalt changes and the roads become smoooooth.

The road from Grants Pass to Redding passes through some beautiful mountains and right through the center of Lake Shasta. You'll love the drive. Redding gets very HOT during the simmer and its not unusual for it to be 100-105 this time of year. A short drive from Redding (east) is Lassen Park and Burney Alturas Park.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote