Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #15

This might be worth a try, next time fill your fresh tank and disconnect your water hose(even if you have a full hookup site. This way you can compare the fresh and gray tanks as you use them. Water pump will be used of course. This is an excellent way of practicing dry camping with a safety net. Most people are not as thrifty as they think they are when you get right down to it. This will also check your level meters at the same time. It's really hard to be thrifty when you have a endless supply! This is how we trained ourselves and we are still practicing this even at home! When the water pump starts running, it's a audiable reminder! Good luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Mark1505 - is it possible your tank sensors are misreading the levels? If they have an accumulation of soap residue and/or grease buildup they may be giving false readings. A good rinsing or application of a degreasing agent might help.
That would be my vote. On my first trip my gray tank read full after 1 day. I went to dump it and it was finished in seconds so I knew the gauge was wrong. I bought a bottle of orange plus cleaning spray and when we left I put about 10 gal of fresh water in the tanks (both of them) and half a bottle of the orange plus in each one. The ride home rinsed off the sensors. That did the trick. Now my gauges read correct.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Gray tank's full when you're ankle deep in water in the shower.

That happened a lot in the PAce Arrow. Never in the knight.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #18

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Gray tank's full when you're ankle deep in water in the shower.

That happened a lot in the PAce Arrow. Never in the knight.
I guess we now know how you tell when the black tanks full too!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #19

I do the Navy showers and my wife does a sort of modified version of one and we can go about 60 days with a 60 gallon gray tank. It is a simple concept and you get used to saving water. We are stuck in Sturgis, SD waiting for Yellowstone to thaw a little. We have a great Passport America campground. Been here 4 days and have not bothered to hook up the sewer yet. I find myself even taking Navy showers at home without even thinking about it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I do the Navy showers and my wife does a sort of modified version of one and we can go about 60 days with a 60 gallon gray tank.
You wouldn't "be pulling my leg" now would you?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #21

Whoops, that is really 6 days, but what is a zero between friends.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Whoops, that is really 6 days, but what is a zero between friends.
You had me going too Lindsay! Just brushing my teeth would fill my gray tank in 60 days.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #23

I just emptied my tanks just now as we are leaving for Yellowstone tomorrow. Very hard to get an info out of them on the weather and road conditions.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #24

Taking a navy shower I can do and even brushing my teeth and shaving without the water running. I have been married 30 years. For me to get up, shower, shave, and get ready to go to work, costs about .10$ in resources. My wife... 25.00$ at least! Lets see, we start with a fresh pot of coffee, using 1500 watts, and only the best Peets coffee no matter how much is in the pot from yesterday. Then a 1/2 hour shower with body lotion and expensive shampoo, 3 towels to dry off and a 1500 watt hair dryer and 1200 watt hair straightener set to heat up. Next, the cloths get tossed in the dryer to take out wrinkles and the 1600 watt iron turned on and warmed up, all while priming and the make up and feminine beauty products are applied. Now to brush her teeth with an electric toothy brush and Tom s of main toothpaste. After that, the TV is set to news and weather and the microwave is set to heat her coffee some more. She likes it hot. Then, she gets in the Chevy suburban (her car) and drives to work getting 9 miles to the gallon. Try all that while camping with 6 batteries and an inverter! That single word "conserve" is not present in her vocabulary.

I conversely, drive a Prius, use only one towell, take a navy shower, and never, ever, use an electric anything except the microwave to heat the 3 day old coffee. I think I look just about as good as she does, after after all that, and I spent 10 minutes and 10 cents and I got to work in my car for about 1.50$ in gas vs 20.00$ for her. She doesnt understand that after one of her showers I need to pack water and dump 50 gallons. No, she just doesn't understand!!!
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rig has 3 36 gallon tanks, 1 black 2 gray, Wife and I have gone 8 days. two showers each, and... Well, I don't think we would have made 9.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gray tank is only 36 gals., and we can usually go 4 days-sometimes 5 if we try hard. If I transfer some to the black I can go a week.

pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote