Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Grease gun stuck on fitting... cannot remove!

Hi everyone,

This is not really an RV problem, but since there are so many highly mechanical ly inclined people on here, I thought maybe I'd get lucky with some suggestions...

Trying to grease the rear brakes on my son's 95 Dodge Dakota pickup, and bought a new grease gun with a flexible hose.

Went to grease the first brake, and could not remove the grease gun from the fitting! I've tried everything I can think of w/o breaking the zirk fitting, including:

- Pry on one/both sides with flat screwdriver.
- Wiggle around, twist while at an angle.
- Remove tip from grease gun, grab with vice grips, wiggle...
- Pry with flat bar using various other tools to hold gun tip, including vice grips.
- Heat gun tip that is hanging on fitting, to try to remove it.

We have put the wheel back onto the truck for now, as the fitting is in a spot that it's safe to drive with it on there, and FRANKLY, I'm returning this gun for a refund, so I don't care if the tip comes off and is lost.

Any suggestions on how to get that off w/o breaking the fitting would be most welcome!

I've attached a picture of the grease gun "tip", #11 in the picture, if that helps at all. The gun is a "Carbyne Heavy Duty Professional Quality Lever Grease Gun".

I've greased things at least 50 times in my life, and never had this happen.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-21 22.02.54.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	162609  
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you got a picture of it stuck on the vehicle. I just have to ask a grease fitting on a Dakota rear brake?

Stuck on the very first fitting? The other thing I have to ask are you maybe confusing a brake bleeder valve for a grease fiting?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Try loosening the knurled sleeve to release the jaws. You may have to use pliers.
rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
Hi everyone,

This is not really an RV problem, but since there are so many highly mechanical ly inclined people on here, I thought maybe I'd get lucky with some suggestions...

Trying to grease the rear brakes on my son's 95 Dodge Dakota pickup, and bought a new grease gun with a flexible hose.

Went to grease the first brake, and could not remove the grease gun from the fitting! I've tried everything I can think of w/o breaking the zirk fitting, including:

- Pry on one/both sides with flat screwdriver.
- Wiggle around, twist while at an angle.
- Remove tip from grease gun, grab with vice grips, wiggle...
- Pry with flat bar using various other tools to hold gun tip, including vice grips.
- Heat gun tip that is hanging on fitting, to try to remove it.

We have put the wheel back onto the truck for now, as the fitting is in a spot that it's safe to drive with it on there, and FRANKLY, I'm returning this gun for a refund, so I don't care if the tip comes off and is lost.

Any suggestions on how to get that off w/o breaking the fitting would be most welcome!

I've attached a picture of the grease gun "tip", #11 in the picture, if that helps at all. The gun is a "Carbyne Heavy Duty Professional Quality Lever Grease Gun".

I've greased things at least 50 times in my life, and never had this happen.

Thanks in advance!
The issue is with the pressure on the Fitting - Turn #11 it should loosen up -Between the Nut and the Sleeve, so an adjustable wrench on one and pliers on the lower one, twist, it will come apart and release - Think like someone else said - you may have put the grease gun an the Bleeder.

On air breaks you might have a grease fitting - but on a normal truck I'm at a loss as to where there would be a fitting? Grease and Brakes are really not good together.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Have you got a picture of it stuck on the vehicle. I just have to ask a grease fitting on a Dakota rear brake?

Stuck on the very first fitting? The other thing I have to ask are you maybe confusing a brake bleeder valve for a grease fiting?
Well, now maybe you have something there... I do not have a picture, can probably take one tomorrow night.

It LOOKS like a grease fitting. It's on the "inner" side of the wheel, near the top of the drum. I've found a couple images of VERY similar Chrysler wheels, to illustrate it. The drawing is of the BACK side, where the fitting is, circled in RED.

I fear you may be right, it might not even BE a grease fitting, and I'll feel REALLY stupid if it's not...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake-Drum-BlownCyl-edited.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	162616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake-Drum-BlownCyl-2-edited.gif
Views:	145
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	162617  

Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
The issue is with the pressure on the Fitting - Turn #11 it should loosen up - Think like someone else said - you may have put the grease gun an the Bleeder.

On air breaks you might have a grease fitting - but on a normal truck I'm at a loss as to where there would be a fitting? Grease and Brakes are really not good together.

JMHO,
You may be right... It looked just like a grease fitting, and I was thinking it might have been for the emergency brakes, as they are locking up on him, not "returning" to the neutral position... which was why I suspected JUST the emergency brake needed some grease... not the actual "brakes"...
Old 05-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
Well, now maybe you have something there... I do not have a picture, can probably take one tomorrow night.

It LOOKS like a grease fitting. It's on the "inner" side of the wheel, near the top of the drum. I've found a couple images of VERY similar Chrysler wheels, to illustrate it. The drawing is of the BACK side, where the fitting is, circled in RED.

I fear you may be right, it might not even BE a grease fitting, and I'll feel REALLY stupid if it's not...

Thanks!
Pretty sure you have a Bleeder that's not taking grease - do the wrench and Pliers thing and it will release. #11 will unscrew in the middle and release the pressure.

Best of Luck.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Pretty sure you have a Bleeder that's not taking grease - do the wrench and Pliers thing and it will release. #11 will unscrew in the middle and release the pressure.

Best of Luck.
I will try that tomorrow night. I can see now, where that may unscrew to loosen up the teeth that hold it on.

Thanks a lot for the info... I NEVER thought it would unscrew... hope I didn't wreck it trying to get it off. AND I hope I was not able to push any grease into a bleeder, if that's what it is under there now... hahaha.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

That would be the nut for bleeding the brakes so you can release air in the system after a brake and or brake cylinder job.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the bleeder screw closed there's really no way you could have pumped grease into your hydraulic system.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
With the screw closed there's really no way you could have pumped grease into your hydraulic system.
It's the pressure of the grease holding the gripper on the Bleeder, when he unscrews it in the morning all will be fine.

Happens all the time.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It's the pressure of the grease holding the gripper on the Bleeder, when he unscrews it in the morning all will be fine.

Happens all the time.

No doubt about that, my remark was directed to his remark of

Quote:
AND I hope I was not able to push any grease into a bleeder, if that's what it is under there now... hahaha.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L Workhorse W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD 06 Lincoln Mark LT 4X4, 2020 Lincoln Corsair
Old 05-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
No doubt about that, my remark was directed to his remark of

It just shows how we learn things different ways. It's something he'll be able to tell around a campfire and chuckle about it.
No grease going into that bleeder, for sure.

I'm sure I tried it 50+ years ago.........
Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
SOLVED! Unscrewed tip, but still had to tear apart insides!

Hi everyone,

Again, THANKS for all the help. Sure enough, I was able to unscrew the tip of the nozzle from the back, where the hex is, but still could not pull it off. I ended up taking it apart completely, then taking the guts out with small needle-nose pliers, and only THEN was I able to wiggle and pull it off with vice grips!

However, it is now OFF!

This forum is one of the best, and you all are awesome!

Now, off to post another, RV-related, mystery! Hahaha

Thanks very much!