Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Grill frustration!!

Ok... so I am at the end of my rope.

When I was tent camping I had a Weber Go-Anywhere portable gas grill. It worked decent and was reliable.

When we got the new MH, I replaced the grill with the exact same model. I HATE IT! The ignitor seldom works, low heat and it constantly gets blown out by the wind.

So... I purchased a Weber Q120. It is a decent grill... starts fine, but doesn't get hot enough to sear a steak.

So... I purchased an el-cheapo charcoal grill (similar in style to the Weber Go-Anywhere).

So... Now I want to ditch both grills and purchase a GOOD gas grill that works, gets hot and is reliable.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Mal

Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Huh? Just got a Q100. At first I thought the low BTU would be a hinderance, but just the opposite is true. The thing if you give it a few minutes to get hot will sear a piece of meat like nobodies business. Other than being too big the grill is really decent. If you want BTU's then go for a Q200/220. Heck I'll take your 120 off your hands for shping costs.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Webber Go Anywhere Grill that I converted it to hook up to my main propane coach tank. If the wind is blowing I just turn it so that an end is facing the wind and that keeps the wind from blowing out the flame. I have also used a pan to block the wind which works very well. Hope this helps with your Webber !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn
Huh? Just got a Q100. At first I thought the low BTU would be a hinderance, but just the opposite is true. The thing if you give it a few minutes to get hot will sear a piece of meat like nobodies business. Other than being too big the grill is really decent. If you want BTU's then go for a Q200/220. Heck I'll take your 120 off your hands for shping costs.
X2. Sounds like the Q120 needs adjustment, suggest calling Weber before you toss it.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

Solaire infrared grill gets very hot.I've had one for 5 years,no problem.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Have you looked at the Char-Broil Grill2Go TRU Infrared gas grill? We purchased one from CW early this spring to replaced an El-cheapo from Walmart that appeared as though it was not going to make it through the 1 year Warranty. It made it and we are still using it on our patio. We love the Grill2Go, it gets very hot and does it quickly, cooks quickly. Gas infrared cooking does take some getting use to. It is small(travels very well in the RV). I understand Weber makes one similar.

Good luck with your grill shopping.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Solaire infrared grill gets very hot.I've had one for 5 years,no problem.
gREAT GRILL
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This probably isn't relevent, but we bought an el-cheapo in a pinch 3 years ago, $25 @ Walmart. Got it back to camp, fired it up and nice blue flame. Let 'er run for 20mins or so and threw on 2 steaks. They never did sear and were basically baked. We struggled with it for several more meals, then this thing started working great and continued until we pitched it this year.

The flames were never any larger than in the beginning and the same propane was still in use. It makes no sense to me. DW just came home with an all stainless 2 burner, 230 sq in from Sam's. Can't wait to find out if this one needs to be "broke in"
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to be late to the party... but we went through the same frustration with propane grills. Finally found the MAGMA family of grills, primarily built for boats. They are stainless steel, infrared grills, they cook in any weather and will not blow out!!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
that stainless steel grill from Sam's works great.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We have the weber Q220. Excellent Grill with a huge cooking surface. I went with Weber because our Weber BBQ at home is about 10 years old and still in fine shape.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the small Weber Q had it for 3 years best small grill we have had, yours probably needs adjustment. The only improvements, it could use a wind shield, and a larger lp tank would help but thats not Webers fault.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrady View Post
that stainless steel grill from Sam's works great.
Cool, thanks! Now I have to figure out to connect it to my Extend a Stay. I do carry a 20# bottle, so no big deal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Cool, thanks! Now I have to figure out to connect it to my Extend a Stay. I do carry a 20# bottle, so no big deal.
I found the adapter at Ace Hardware that is designed to connect the 1 lb disposable bottle to the POL fitting on that grill for $10. Screwed it in to the grill hose and attach the line from the extend a stay to it.