Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see the ads for Scooters for the handicapped. My question is, what happens to them when the handicapped person goes to the great beyond. I am sure many are freed up in this manner and I would like to buy one.

I would rather spend a few bucks than fight with uncle trying to convice some government village idiot that my 30% heart muscle failure and the loss of the 4 lower discs in my back make it difficult to move around.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see the ads for Scooters for the handicapped. My question is, what happens to them when the handicapped person goes to the great beyond. I am sure many are freed up in this manner and I would like to buy one.

I would rather spend a few bucks than fight with uncle trying to convice some government village idiot that my 30% heart muscle failure and the loss of the 4 lower discs in my back make it difficult to move around.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried to sell my Dad's with no luck. I finally gave it away. It was brand new as he never used it once. I would search EBAY and Craigslist for used ones.

Good Luck

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
paz

We have one for sale right now. Wife finally had knee surgery and no longer needs it. It's a good scooter designed for indoor or outdoor use, and it's in good shape; but the problem is getting it to another location from where we are. If you're going to be in Florida in the next 2 months PM me.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is the problem I had trying to sell my Dad's. Everyone wanted me to deliver it. If you can find a local seller you can probably get a pretty good deal.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

We have had very good luck with ebay, even considering the shipping costs. My husband has purchased 2 electric wheelchairs and various spare parts. The scooters are available too. Many go unsold, so there is room to negotiate.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scooters get beat up easily in a few years with regular use as evidence by watching my mother use hers. The VA Hospital doesn't even want scooters back that they issued when a veteran passes away. They have a lot of plastic in them that cracks when you hit obstructions like doors and door frames, the batteries need replacement if they are recharged regularly, and they are improved every few years. Now they have springs, shocks, electrical adjustable seats, lights, signals, various upholstery options, and convertable tops. With medicare and health insurance paying for 90-100% of the cost, seniors have no need to but used ones.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #8

Hamguy,

Uncle Sam will only buy a scooter if you need it to get around the house, not outdoors. So you would have to demonstrate your inability to get around the house. I was in the same boat. I can get around the house just fine but have a lot of problems when we go to Vegas - Quartzite etc.

All of the better manufacturers make a lightweight highly portable unit. I bought one and it was not that expensive. It breaks into 4 pieces for easy transport. You pull the battery box out, yank the seat off, tilt the steering mechanism, and by lifting a latch the rear tires and motor assembly separate from the rest of the chassis. It store in a bay of the MH or in the back of the toad.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Hamguy,

Uncle Sam will only buy a scooter if you need it to get around the house, not outdoors. So you would have to demonstrate your inability to get around the house. I was in the same boat. I can get around the house just fine but have a lot of problems when we go to Vegas - Quartzite etc.
I beg to differ. The VA Hospitals "Prostetic Dept" does issue 3 & 4 wheels scooters to veterans who can not get around short distances within their homes with hand walkers, BUT can not walk long distances required for shopping, traveling to the barber shop, etc. For veterans to get a outdoor scooter, they first need to get their VA Primary Care doctor to ask for a consult "Consultation" with Prostetics. Prostetic will evaluate the Dr recommendation, the patients records and may interview the patient.
In a matter of less than 60 days, my father received from the VA; Bi-focal reading glasses, hearing aids, an alum walking cane, special shoes, shower chair, a walker with 2 wheels & tennis balls, walker with 4 wheels & handbrakes w/seat, and new red 3 wheel scooter.
The VA would not provide my father a portable ramp or elect car lift for transporting the scooter and he was not military disabled.

In addition, the VA and Medicare are not related and do not speak with each other....SO you can get a 3 wheel scooter from VA and your indoor "Power Chair", additional walker(s), cane, and shower chair thru medicare.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #10

You agreed with me!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have one I will give to the someone who will pick it up. Needs batteries and a speed controller.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I have one I will give to the someone who will pick it up. Needs batteries and a speed controller.
How much and where?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
Free, and NE of Atlanta off I-85
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Now when I get to the c.g. I'm not far from the ice!! The box on the back is for a blenderClick image for larger version

Name:	P1010031.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	637
campnham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, scooter