Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #127

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
In your example I agree. If I has a friend who was guilty of that behavior it would be difficult for me to keep quiet.

One other observation about calling the police, of which I served for many years. Most police departments will not respond to a call out for that, you'd almost be better off calling parking enforcement, even though the offender is usually gone by the time the officer could get there. It's a terrible catch 22, but whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha goona do? Here is a solution:

Our county sheriff's department formed a volunteer "disabled enforcement" unit. These volunteers are authorized to write tickets, ($300.00 each!) for violations, and also check the validity of any hang tag. (In Florida the disabled person must be in the car AND carrying a current DMV issued registration to prove validity)

They patrol shopping centers in sheriff department issued vehicles,with radios, and look for violations.

Sure has cut down on a lot of the problems noted here.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #128

I had hip joint replacement surgery on June 16. I received a temporary handicapped tag that will expire on Aug. 31. By a week after the surgery (June 23) I was able to walk fairly well with a cane, although, it was a bit painful.

I didn't drive much, but when I did, I used the handicapped spaces. Even though I could walk, I don't think I was abusing the system. As nearly As I can tell, I was a perfect example of why the temporary tags exists.

Today, I usually don't use the cane in the house, but I do take it along when I go out, just in case the hip starts getting sore. If the parking lot has any reasonably close spaces, I will use one instead of a handicapped spot. However, I will still use a handicapped spot in order to avoid walking an extra 100 yds. each way. I haven't decided if that is abusing the system, but I will continue to do it

BTW, seeing a person climb up into their truck does not mean that they are not disabled. The nerf bars on my truck are almost knee high. Getting up is a real pita. However, by using my good leg and pulling on the wheel, I can generally get up with only minimal pain.

On a closely related subject, I have another pet peeve regarding handicapped parking. I used to work for a company that manufactured medical electronics. We had no handicapped employees. We did not have customers coming to visit us. We were occasionally visited by a salesman, FDA inspector, etc.

We were required to have six handicapped spaces. Otherwise, we had a shortage of parking. It was not uncommon to park 1/2 a mile away and walk back to be greeted by these six empty handicapped spaces right next to the door. It was particularly annoying during a heavy rain storm, or lots of slushly snow, or when the temperature dropped below zero. In 15 years, I can not ever remember seeing one of those spots (legally) used.

You would think that there should be a way to cut down to two or three spaces, but the formula said six, so six it had to be.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #129

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Whatcha goona do? Here is a solution:

Our county sheriff's department formed a volunteer "disabled enforcement" unit. These volunteers are authorized to write tickets, ($300.00 each!) for violations, and also check the validity of any hang tag. (In Florida the disabled person must be in the car AND carrying a current DMV issued registration to prove validity)

They patrol shopping centers in sheriff department issued vehicles,with radios, and look for violations.

Sure has cut down on a lot of the problems noted here.
Things may be different in Naples. Although required to carry the Registration at all times, the Florida DL number of the individual the tag is issued to is on the tag itself, along with the month and year of expiration.

As a former LEO I can tell you with near certainty that most of us wouldn't cite someone who didn't have their registration but everything else (DL number & expiration) checked out. A little common sense, and a warning to the wise, goes a long way and most judges would toss a citation as soon as a defendant showed up in court with it in hand. It can also, via radio to dispatch be confirmed or denied as belonging to the individual just as a car registration may be checked. It's not rocket science.

Don't get me wrong, it was a pet peeve of mine working the street and is even more so now. I lifted more than my share from people who were using aunt Susie's and happily had them go to court to pay fines. I just hope your volunteers truly understand not only the risk they face but use the right common sense attitude when they're roaming around.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #130

I am over 70 and not disabled. I am thankful that I can park on the far side of a parking lot and hoof it to a store while watching other people scramble for a close-in spot. I need the exercise.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #131

Texas Boomers Club
This is why DW does not want to get a handicap tag. She can still walk, but is weak. She does not want to be classified with the abusers of the system. Not all people are abusing it. I firmly believe that if you need it, use it. If not then don't. I am one of those people who are reasonably healthy and can do many things. DW cannot and I do not expect her to and do not expect anyone else to.
So much for my rant. We can discuss this forever but it will not prevent that abuse. So change what you can and dont worry about what you can't.
txdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Well, this appeared this week on the news - Caught on Camera: Cheaters Pose as "Disabled" for Prime Parking | NBC Southern California
- and then the cops were out in force the next day and started handing out tickets and confiscated the placards. They did an update just tonite and showed one 20 something calling his mom to let her know that they just took her placard because he was using it illegally. All that they ticketed now have to appear in court and the fine is up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in jail if convicted. So something is being done, at least some are caught.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I just found this site Handicapped Parking Fraud - Handicapped Parking Violators - Help Make a Difference

I'm not sure if reporting someone will help any but might make you feel better. I got started looking for something like that after finding out something about a friend. Actually more like a friend of a friend. She has two handicapped tags hanging from the rear view in their car and I saw it parked in a handicapped spot at the beach. Closest one to the gate. So I ask our friend why she has one. "A problem with her shoulder" Meanwhile while there I see a woman in a wheelchair at the next pavilion over. To make matters worse she scuba dives regularly and has on her Facebook page that kite boarding is her next quest. Should I be steamed about this?

Like us they spend summer in NY and winter in Fl. So I look up the qualifications for a handicapped tag or plate in both states. Not ambulatory, difficulty breathing, heart problems... I won't go into the entire thing but not able to walk or with difficulty seems to be it, not a boo-boo on your shoulder.

At the risk of them hating me I think I will ask her face to face about it then decide if this is worth my effort.

So what is your pet peeve about handicap parking abuse? Here is one of mine. The spouse waiting (with a tag) for his DW/DH to come out of the store in the handicap space. How about waiting in a regular spot in view of the door or wait for a call on your cell so someone that might need the spot can use it.

Disclaimer: I realize some disabilities are not recognizable by site and would never hassle anyone I was not reasonably sure was abusing the system.
I have one, I dont use it much but I have on a few occasions had irate people come up to me and cuss me out, had one key my car.. Yes I'm a 43 year old visibly healthy thin person but I have exercise induced anaphylaxis (yes I am really allergic to exercise). I was discharged from the Army because of it.. If I have to walk a long distance in the heat I wind up in the hospital.

When we went to Yellowstone last year I heard comments from people when I was on my scooter, I just ignore it. I even had a park ranger eyeball me and comment that recreational scooters were not allowed.. I told him to blow it out his ass along with pointing out ADA states it's none of his business and if he feels the need ticket me.

I tend to only use it in places where open parking spots are too far for my comfort level.
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #134

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
i have heart problems my wife had a stroke and has mobilty problems..we use one when we need to but if there is close open spots i leave the handicapped spots open
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #135

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I read most all of the responses a while back and thought I'd throw my 2cents in. Nothing ticks me off more than the abuse of the placards or plates until I needed them. I was about as healthy as one could be until the word MS entered my life, it cut short my being a firefighter for over 30yrs ( just retired,its a young man or woman's job.) I never said boo to anyone placard or not until I finally realized I needed to. I don't say much I just stare them down as I get my forearm crutches or my wife gits my wheelchair out and say REALLY! I'll even park myself right by their car just to get my point across. I always give people the benefit of the doubt but it's obvious most of the time.
Rfd2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sure lots of people abuse the system, I have a handicap tag, and I look normal enough most of the time, but you have to walk a while with my back pain to understand, what hurts don't always show, and those of us who live with constant pain don't always show it.

Just saying.
Okierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #137

Yup my doc insisted I get mine. Got the plates not the hanging tag. Unless somebody steals car, plates or both, no abuse.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #138

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I agree whole hardely!! The handicapped parking system is abused as well as the service dog system. In my state an estimated 50 to 60 percent of the service dogs are not certified! Let's not start another argument on this but the problem has many restaurant owners not allowing any dogs in!! You can't get a fake disabled tag legally on line but anybody can get a fake service dog vest for there pooch!!
And if the dog is really a service dog you have violated state and federal laws and will be out big money!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #139

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
The BMV should give each person, handicapped or not, a list of do's and don'ts when it comes to using a handicapped tag or parking space.

1. Uncle Don should be ticketed for parking in a handicap space if he parks, stays in his car, while his fit niece runs into the store.
True and we do it here

2. A teenager using his grandma's handicap sticker will be shot on sight upon running back to his car. Tongue in cheek . . . . . . sort of.
Not really but you wish!

3. Handicap parking areas at major entertainment venues will be gated and manned by a guard that will inquire about the nature of your handicap. (at least that would require some folks to lie out loud to the people in his car)
Illegal under Federal law.

4. A fit individual using a handicap parking spot will be required to wear a mask for his next shopping trip. The full facial mask will provide air for 15 seconds and then shut off for 45 seconds.

5. It should be legal for someone to run a shuttle business using golf carts at major sporting venues. What a blessing that would be! However, the carts would be packed by the young, rich, and stupid.

6. The current handicap tag needs to display a expiration date. If it is that important to the user, it would not be considered a major nuisance to the user.
The hang tags here in WA do expire every 5 years even though you have a permanent disability.

7. Supply a pad of "I don't think you should have parked here" post-it notes with the book of guidelines. Everyone could evaluate the condition of every user and slip a note under the windshield when you have a suspicion that they're abusing the system. Tongue in cheek ok
Assuming that someone isn't handicapped by looking at them is wrong. I have MS and five knee surgeries and none of that is noticeable unless I'm wearing shorts.

8. Tags can be used ONLY if the intended user is in the vehicle and they are going into the store or office building.
That's the law here and I have written tickets for it. Even caught one lady using a dead friends unexpired hang tag.

Okay, I'm done ranting

I would probably get a post-it note. Hard to recognize my problems unless you follow me thru the store and see me sitting on a bench after a short walk. Heart disease, shortness of breath, stent, bad back. Able to walk 40-50 yards without stopping for 5 minutes to catch my breath and let my back muscles calm down.

Without a rented electric chair at Disney World, I would have stayed in the MH for 6 days while the family enjoyed the park.
We used a regular wheel chair when we were at Disney World years ago. Flew in so didn't have the option other than staying in the motel and the rooms were TINY! Only had one problem and that was an in park bus driver that gave up tying the wheelchair down.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #140

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
I think that the plate or the hang tag should be required to have the name of the disabled person on it so the police can check these folks when they come back to the car. If the tag is not in the name of the driver of the vehicle then a fine should be issued. I have seen tags on car's that belong to the grandmother used by the grandchild. If the police don't do the job, give the job to someone who needs a job and pay them a percentage of what is collected. Good job for someone......2nd offence do a week in county jail. These people piss me off and I'm not handicapped.
Here in WA you are issued a wallet card that carries you name and hang tag and/or vehicle license tag numbers. And, when on patrol we are allowed to ask to see it, plus it had better match your drivers license. Both my wife and I carry the cards since my car has the plates and she has the hang tags.

Tags
handicap, handicapped