Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #197
Member
 
qchair62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 48
Yes...at times it can be a 911 call that is needed!

As a T-8 complete paraplegic that has been in dependent on a manual wheelchair for 26 years I will tell you that when some idiot blocks my van or truck off to the point I can not get into my vehicle, and the temp is extremely hot or cold, then it becomes more than an "inconvenience"! 100 degree or below freezing temperatures and having to sit outside my vehicle until you decide to come out and move your illegally parked vehicle is physically dangerous! The number of people that just don't care has always amazed me. I would never judge a person by sight as to the extent of their disability. If they have a legally issued placard or tag then they have the right to use the disabled spaces. It is the non-disabled, and in some cases the disabled people, that park illegally (this includes trying to make an extra spot in the blue crossed off area DESIGNED for van access) that are making a conscious decision to disregard not only the law, but the common decency that most people have. There is no excuse (I was just going to be in there a second) to block me from having access to entry or exit from my vehicle. I have gotten to the point that I usually just park out in the far end of the lot to avoid the idiots that do not understand I don't use the spaces because they are closer to the entrance or because I don't want to get wet (by the time I get out of my vehicle and get my chair I'm soaked anyway), but to have the space to let my lift down or rotate my truck bed lift out to get my chair out of the truck bed. If you want to spend a day in my world, I have a complete set up to let you try it out, including a manual Quckie wheelchair, zip ties for everything below your chest (no, you don't get to just stand up and cheat when you get to an obstacle...I don't), and will be happy to spend the day with you to document how well you do with the disability! NO excuse for abusing the accessible parking system, and those that do know they are doing it EVERY time!
__________________

__________________
qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #198
Senior Member
 
lymanlouis's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Warren, OR
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
I would never judge a person by sight as to the extent of their disability. If they have a legally issued placard or tag then they have the right to use the disabled spaces. It is the non-disabled, and in some cases the disabled people, that park illegally (this includes trying to make an extra spot in the blue crossed off area DESIGNED for van access) that are making a conscious decision to disregard not only the law, but the common decency that most people have. There is no excuse (I was just going to be in there a second) to block me from having access to entry or exit from my vehicle.
Amen.
__________________

__________________
Lyman & Deb; Chip & Charlie (Portugueses Water Dogs); Portland, Oregon
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #199
Senior Member
 
mrt_1111's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 965
Just wonder what everybody thinks about a car using a handicap spot that says van accessible when using a wheelchair. Many times I find there is not enough room to bring the wheelchair up to the door.
__________________
Mark
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 1 cat. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #200
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Just wonder what everybody thinks about a car using a handicap spot that says van accessible when using a wheelchair. Many times I find there is not enough room to bring the wheelchair up to the door.
I think most them around here say Van Accessible so there is no reason for me to look for a different space if that is all that is available. You can roll farther than I can walk.

It really comes down to the old issue of how many people get the parking space by the door. If you are like me you also learn to time your visit to avoid the crowds so parking and/or scooter availability is not an issue.
__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #201
Member
 
qchair62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Just wonder what everybody thinks about a car using a handicap spot that says van accessible when using a wheelchair. Many times I find there is not enough room to bring the wheelchair up to the door.
The van accessible spots are marked only for width clearance. They are designed for vans with side mounted lifts, but are not "reserved" for them. They are available to any one with a legal placard or tag. I personally would prefer non van vehicles to use other spots, but with the short number of spots, that is not a reality.
__________________
qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #202
Member
 
qchair62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I think most them around here say Van Accessible so there is no reason for me to look for a different space if that is all that is available. You can roll farther than I can walk.
How do you possible know that as fact? I have seen children and low quads that can not push themselves far at all. Just like I can not tell the severity of your disability by outward appearances, what makes you an expert on doing the same to those in wheelchairs?
__________________
qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #203
RVM #74
 
PushedAround's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 2,853
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
As a T-8 complete paraplegic that has been in dependent on a manual wheelchair for 26 years I will tell you that when some idiot blocks my van or truck off to the point I can not get into my vehicle, and the temp is extremely hot or cold, then it becomes more than an "inconvenience"! 100 degree or below freezing temperatures and having to sit outside my vehicle until you decide to come out and move your illegally parked vehicle is physically dangerous! The number of people that just don't care has always amazed me. I would never judge a person by sight as to the extent of their disability. If they have a legally issued placard or tag then they have the right to use the disabled spaces. It is the non-disabled, and in some cases the disabled people, that park illegally (this includes trying to make an extra spot in the blue crossed off area DESIGNED for van access) that are making a conscious decision to disregard not only the law, but the common decency that most people have. There is no excuse (I was just going to be in there a second) to block me from having access to entry or exit from my vehicle. I have gotten to the point that I usually just park out in the far end of the lot to avoid the idiots that do not understand I don't use the spaces because they are closer to the entrance or because I don't want to get wet (by the time I get out of my vehicle and get my chair I'm soaked anyway), but to have the space to let my lift down or rotate my truck bed lift out to get my chair out of the truck bed. If you want to spend a day in my world, I have a complete set up to let you try it out, including a manual Quckie wheelchair, zip ties for everything below your chest (no, you don't get to just stand up and cheat when you get to an obstacle...I don't), and will be happy to spend the day with you to document how well you do with the disability! NO excuse for abusing the accessible parking system, and those that do know they are doing it EVERY time!
THIS is the reason all of us have to be indignant about people who callously disregard the rights of others (and handicapped parking is a right in our society IMHO). I am happy to be able to walk as far as is necessary to get from an available parking spot to my destination.
__________________
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #204
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
How do you possible know that as fact? I have seen children and low quads that can not push themselves far at all. Just like I can not tell the severity of your disability by outward appearances, what makes you an expert on doing the same to those in wheelchairs?
They also are not driving cars. If one is strong enough to drive and has a problem with mobility they also qualify for an electric scooter.

One has to put the remark in context. The Handicapped tag is for the driver. If the passenger has a problem they also have an attendant.

FWIW people who block vans outfitted with lifts are either rude or clueless. Most of the time I vote for clueless. It fits a lot of their other driving habits. ;-)
__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #205
Member
 
qchair62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
They also are not driving cars. If one is strong enough to drive and has a problem with mobility they also qualify for an electric scooter.

One has to put the remark in context. The Handicapped tag is for the driver. If the passenger has a problem they also have an attendant.
So you driving a car means the same? That you are strong enough. I personally "qualify" for an electric chair, but don't use one as I consider it lazy of me to use what I don't need. You are also wrong about the tag. Next time you see a wheelchair transport company van with a lift and disabled tag you will see that is can be for the passenger/owner, not just the driver. My point was, and still is, if you don't want people judging your disability by your outward appearance, please don't do it to others. Until you have been in their situation you don't know what they can do. That is my personal opinion, and I am through as I am am not trying to argue.
__________________
qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #206
Senior Member
 
mrt_1111's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
They also are not driving cars. If one is strong enough to drive and has a problem with mobility they also qualify for an electric scooter.

One has to put the remark in context. The Handicapped tag is for the driver. If the passenger has a problem they also have an attendant.

FWIW people who block vans outfitted with lifts are either rude or clueless. Most of the time I vote for clueless. It fits a lot of their other driving habits. ;-)
I am the driver, I have handicapped plates, I am not handicapped, my wife is. Handicap tags are for the person who has a handicap. If you have seen my wife drive an electric scooter you would not want to be in front of her, she goes where she looks.
__________________
Mark
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 1 cat. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #207
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,941
If you have seen me drive an electric scooter you might not want to get in front of me either! ;-))

I'm not trying to argue either. I am talking about context. I was taken to task for saying someone in a wheel chair could roll farther than I could walk. They pointed out kids who were on a board and cannot move about. I pointed out that they were not driving the car either. Context is the issue throughout this thread. The context of not judging who is using the tag. In my case I can wheel a chair farther than I can walk and I don't often use a chair. That is why I use a handicapped tag and park in any marked spot near the door.
__________________

__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
handicap, handicapped



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tag or no tag? CWinLV iRV2.com General Discussion 31 02-23-2014 02:03 PM
Tag axle tagcat Class A Motorhome Discussions 93 02-18-2014 09:31 PM
Tow Vehicle for a Handicapped narampa Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 11-28-2013 09:57 AM
Tag axle branbay2 Monaco Owner's Forum 11 11-13-2013 11:43 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.