Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I just found this site Handicapped Parking Fraud - Handicapped Parking Violators - Help Make a Difference

I'm not sure if reporting someone will help any but might make you feel better. I got started looking for something like that after finding out something about a friend. Actually more like a friend of a friend. She has two handicapped tags hanging from the rear view in their car and I saw it parked in a handicapped spot at the beach. Closest one to the gate. So I ask our friend why she has one. "A problem with her shoulder" Meanwhile while there I see a woman in a wheelchair at the next pavilion over. To make matters worse she scuba dives regularly and has on her Facebook page that kite boarding is her next quest. Should I be steamed about this?

Like us they spend summer in NY and winter in Fl. So I look up the qualifications for a handicapped tag or plate in both states. Not ambulatory, difficulty breathing, heart problems... I won't go into the entire thing but not able to walk or with difficulty seems to be it, not a boo-boo on your shoulder.

At the risk of them hating me I think I will ask her face to face about it then decide if this is worth my effort.

So what is your pet peeve about handicap parking abuse? Here is one of mine. The spouse waiting (with a tag) for his DW/DH to come out of the store in the handicap space. How about waiting in a regular spot in view of the door or wait for a call on your cell so someone that might need the spot can use it.

Disclaimer: I realize some disabilities are not recognizable by site and would never hassle anyone I was not reasonably sure was abusing the system.
Mark & Nancy, you are peeling the scab off human nature with this one! Truth is, there are always people who take advantage of whatever they can. Thru the years(two knee replacements), I have asked my family doctor for occasional Handicap Tag approval. Her response was the same: "Can you still walk a block? if you can, you don't need a tag". Now, finally, I have a tag. To qualify, I have two blown hips, and need a cane to move anywhere. The tag is a god-send, now that I really need it. I don't begrudge not having one before, and my doctor was quite right. So ask me over a beer, and a private campfire, what I REALLY think about people who dog the system......

Nick B - 2008 GMC Sierra 4.8L with Roadmaster Active Suspension, 2014 Black Rock 19B, two bad hips awaiting replacement, and a TEMPORARY handicap tag!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #58

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
I've always wondered about that. I'll see these giant pick ups that you have to be pretty fit to be able to jump up into the thing, and they'll be in the handicapped spot and I'm thinking - WHAT? How does someone physically fit enough to climb up into the driver's seat of that thing have a handicapped plate?...
See my reply in post #13.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #59

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have texas disabled veteran tags on my coach and truck
both tags allow me to park in any h/c spot. park free at texas gov buildings, free tolls on almost all texas toll ways, free entrance to all airports in the state and free unlimited parking at these facilities no time frames either, we have left the little car at the airport for over 4 months in good parking (under cover)
plus i have two hang tags so if i am in another vehicle I can hang it on the rear view and be legal.
that being said, as of today i have never parked the M/H in a h/c parking spot, but have been tempted

am i crippled as bad as some? nope
but am messed up and not by birth

I generally park as close to the door as possible, whether is a designated h/c spot or not.

i have been accosted by older persons riding the scooters, saying i am to young to be broken....i just say defending the freedom they have to ask me is what busted me up.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
I had someone report me once while I was working on getting the step out of my truck that I use for my mother in law.

Cops came checked my plates license and registration her handicap Registration and ID whole thing prolly took 30 mins.

Which didn't bother me. But during that time we as tax payers paid him to do this and also durning that time I held up a handicap parking area that some other person could not use.

So be careful who you report.

This happened to me just last December. I had parked at the 1st spot next to the door. It was snowing. As stated in my previous post, my car has a tag not a plate. The snow was coming down fast and by the time I came out of the store (grocery shopping so I must have been in there an hour) I had a good inche of snow over my car, so the windshield was covered over with snow, thus the tag could not be seen. Someone called the police, saying it was a non-handicapped car in a handicapped spot.

It was somewhat hilarious, however, seeing how I live in this particular town and EVERYBODY knows my car....I'll explain that part in a sec...anyways I come out of the store and parked across the back of my car (so it can't move out of the spot) was a police car. I didn't think anything of it, I just figured he stopped there to answer a call or something and would be driving off in a second.

So, I'm putting bags in my car when I hear:

"I knew that was my girl! I had to take the call when I heard it come in. Figured it had to be you, how many rhinestoned Volvos can there be? You got handicap tags on this on the old girl?"

I reach in and pull the tag off the mirror, and show it too him.

"Yep, I figured you did. Just couldn't see it under the snow. We still got a poll going down at the station, if you ever sell the old girl, we want to buy her and use her for an under cover car. No one will suspect this of being a PD." He laughs says good night and drives off.

Back tracking now...2 months previous to this event...October...

I'm on my way home, driving (a few blocks from this same store) on a 4 lane main road (Rt1) coming up to a red light, when blue lights start flashing. I pull over right at the red light. Same police car drives up beside me. I roll down the window, uncertain what I've done...

"Hey! Had to pull you over to say hi!" hollars out the cop whose in his 60s, nearing retirment. "Just wanted to ask you how you got all this stuff on your car, we was thinking of making one of these down at the station, to use for an undercover car and we can't figure out how you built this thing."

back track again...to August ...

It's night time...close to midnight...pitch black...no street lights on this particular road...I'm on my way home, driving down the long back road through the Ross Forest, where a known speed trap sits in a pull off beside the road. I drive past the speed trap, next thing I know, blue lights are bearing down on me. I pull over...

...The cop gets out. Stands there. Stares. Shocked at what he's looking at. His blue lights are blinking and, sending millions of disco ball lights reflections all over every tree in the area.

He gets back in the car, turns on the spot light onto my car - it's light daylight now, with the reflection beaming rainbows of color everywhere.

He pulls out his night light and walks slowly around my car, several times, shining the flashlight over various shimmering parts of it, muttering "I've heard of it, but I'd never seen it before..."

Finally he walks up to the window and says to me: "We are looking for a Volvo that was reported heading this way, so we are stopping all the Volvos ... I saw the big square lights and knew it was a Volvo, but it's not you, booooooy is it ever not you! How in the hell did you do this to your car?"

... back track one more time...June 2013... Car Show...

I collect cars, I have lots of cars, but I have one, car that stands out The Dazzling Razzberry, my daily driver and my TOAD when I'm on the road. It's a 1992 Volvo 240...with 2.5million marbles, rhinestones, mirrors, beads, charms, and buttons glued to every inch of it. When the lights hit it at night it looks like a giant disco ball and sends reflected light over everything just like a disco ball. This car is a show stopper with a shelf full of trophies and awards. It took 3 years to build, and the officer who stopped me multiple times, first met me here, when he volunteered to direct traffic the day the town shut down RT1 and parked it full of antique cars. When I arrived there was a crowd waiting, and screaming "There it is! I told you an art car was coming to the show this year."

Here is the car in question:

(And as you can see BigFoot was at the show as well, and I was the car parked beside Team BigFoot -that's me with the builder of BigFoot -I've forgotten his name just now- so got to spend the day hanging out with them)

....back to the day someone complained... the officer explained that the person who complained, had complained

#1: because they couldn't see the tag under the snow

#2: because they had concluded that no one driving a car that looked like that could possibly be disabled, and had had themselves a long rant to the police describing what they called "a white trash hoodlum car, some teenaged thugs had glued tons of shiny crap to" (thus how the officer knew who the owner was and requested to take the call)

The lesson here...you can't always judge a handicapped person by either their looks, or the car they happen to drive.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 AM   #61

My DW has a tag and the other day in front of the local grocer, a lifted 4/4 truck lumber rack and full of tools ready for work. Using a handicap tag. DW got so peeved she called local pd, she never calls unless in danger. Pd shows up while we were shopping and ended up taking driver away in cuffs, truck towed. Aparently this man had been using moms tag and had been fined many times and with each fine the tag was taken. DMV was good enough to replace moms tag each time. The officer who took this guy away lives down the street from me and we were talking about this the other day.
Sacramento has started a campaign to curb the abuse of tags used for parking downtown. You can park all day without feeding the meter in a two hr limit spot and abuse is rampant.
I too have a problem when a lifted four wheel drive pu that you need a ladder to get in and the driver is using a tag. Yup I'm ranting!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I call the pd most every time I see a vehicle park in the H\C parking with no H/C tag or plate. It`s hard getting the DW out of the car with out dinging the door. For me it not how close the door is, it the width of the parking spot.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
U never Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I call the pd most every time I see a vehicle park in the H\C parking with no H/C tag or plate. .
Was at HD a few years ago and this guy drives right up in the marked space, hang a tag, leaves the car running, cracks a window, and runs into the store. I look over and see this beautiful little 5 year old blond girl sitting in the back seat. I call the cops and five cars show up. they wait, they question him, they take his little girl, they take him (in cuffs) they take his car.

Illegal hanging tag stolen, his hummer insurance was NG, his licence suspended, his daughter returned to his ex wife.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not to toss more fuel on this fire... I still do not see why you need to park in a handicap spot to drop someone off. Why not drop them right at the door then park in a regular spot? So what if t takes a few minutes to get them out of the car/monster truck. It is better than the guy waiting in the fire lane for someone to get done shopping. It is also a lot less distance for the handicapped person to go to get to the door.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
IMO you should have to have a PLATE on the car or truck not something that JR can take and hang on the mirror of any car. And if you can craw up into a lifted pick up truck or SUV you can walk from the parking lot!!!!
I disagree. If you're disabled and are a passenger in a car not owned by you, you need the hangtag. I agree that displaying such a tag is abuse in some vehicles, however the law needs to be amended to prohibit such abuse, which will arm the police to take care of it. Most cops are only too happy to write tickets for handicap parking abusers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Was at HD a few years ago and this guy drives right up in the marked space, hang a tag, leaves the car running, cracks a window, and runs into the store. I look over and see this beautiful little 5 year old blond girl sitting in the back seat. I call the cops and five cars show up. they wait, they question him, they take his little girl, they take him (in cuffs) they take his car.

Illegal hanging tag stolen, his hummer insurance was NG, his licence suspended, his daughter returned to his ex wife.
I hate people who think the rules don't apply to them. This guy was a perfect example. Good for you for reporting him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
Not to toss more fuel on this fire... I still do not see why you need to park in a handicap spot to drop someone off. Why not drop them right at the door then park in a regular spot? So what if t takes a few minutes to get them out of the car/monster truck. It is better than the guy waiting in the fire lane for someone to get done shopping. It is also a lot less distance for the handicapped person to go to get to the door.
Perhaps pulling into the space keeps the parking lot and lane clear of stopped traffic while you assist your Differently Abled passenger in exiting the vehicle. Many people today are very myopic, self-centered, nosy and impatient. Give what you suggest a try and you will soon discover that even when they can plainly see what you are doing they honk, make obscene gestures, confront, rev their engines, race by you and otherwise inject their judgmental, short tempered, ill-mannered self-important, busybody selves into your life - all the while raising your stress level, making you feel the need to hurry and frustrating your passenger. Ask me how I know. There was a time when folks would actually get out their car and try to help you or offer support of some kind. Now they can't be bothered because they're too busy judging you, and knowing what and how you should be going about your business rather than help out or mind their own business.

Signed, more than a casual observer.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a hanging tag and one plate. The plate is on my motorcycle. Last year I took my motorcycle (Honda Magna 750) to the grocery store for a quick pick up for dinner. All handicap places were empty so I took one near the door, got out my cane and made my way to the electric carts. As I started to load up my saddle bag a "lady" drove up and started to yell at me for taking a spot and that she had been waiting for a hour for one to open up. She would not believe that a motorcycle can have a handicap plate. I did invite her to look at my plate but she refused. Some people think they know everything. My mom had a bad heart and looked fine but still had a handicap plate and people would stop her.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #69

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife is handicapped and uses a wheel chair when I see abuse I suddenly loose my balance and my keys seem to scrape paint. I wonder why that one key on my chain is so sharp? Just kidding but man I get the urge.
The cops are to busy for this stuff and they just don't bother.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #70

iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with HD4MARK.With so many cell phones in use it would be easy to park elsewhere and wait for a call to meet at the front door, I am permantly disabled and can't walk very far. I have a placard to use in either vehicle instead of separate plates. I live in SC and have to have a doctors RX for the placard. I would like to know if chow 5656
is disabled . if not,I hope he has good health allways.rember everything is not as it seems&only another disabled person can truly understand the trials of every day living.

Tags
handicap, handicapped