Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just recently got a 6 month tag from my doctor, pending hip replacement surgery. We have found finding enough handicap parking spaces to be a real problem. The other issue is when we can find a normal parking spot more convenient than the handicap spot. I really can appreciate the struggle permanently handicapped folks have. That and the people who are rude and practically knock you down to get past you because you are moving too slow. Real frustrating. More than likely I will not need the tag for the full six months, so will stick it in the glove box just in case. If I wait in the car for dh to run in somewhere, we park in a normal space since I will not be getting out. Common courtesy goes along way.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Perhaps pulling into the space keeps the parking lot and lane clear of stopped traffic while you assist your Differently Abled passenger in exiting the vehicle. Many people today are very myopic, self-centered, nosy and impatient. Give what you suggest a try and you will soon discover that even when they can plainly see what you are doing they honk, make obscene gestures, confront, rev their engines, race by you and otherwise inject their judgmental, short tempered, ill-mannered self-important, busybody selves into your life - all the while raising your stress level, making you feel the need to hurry and frustrating your passenger. Ask me how I know. There was a time when folks would actually get out their car and try to help you or offer support of some kind. Now they can't be bothered because they're too busy judging you, and knowing what and how you should be going about your business rather than help out or mind their own business.

Signed, more than a casual observer.
Regardless of who thinks what, if a passenger in a car has a valid hang tag that was lawfully issued to them they are entitled by law to use it and the car can be parked in the handicap space. There isn't any need for further discussion. I realize that there are people who abuse the system to get one, and that is a separate issue (it's called fraud). Using a hang tag lawfully issued to you is not abuse no matter what anyone thinks, and being the driver of the car is not required. If I was taking my 95 year old grandmother to the doctor I sure wouldn't leave her at the curb sitting in her wheelchair while I went to get the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #73

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
In my neck of the woods, A permit is issued on a Doctors application. The rules are pretty explicit that the person for who the pass is issued must be in the car or coming to the car for the parking spot to be used. Going into the pharmacy to pick something up for the person doesn't qualify even if they are in the car. On the other hand, there was one occasion where I didn't have a pass but used the spot to pick someone up who was newly on crutches. In my mind, that was legitimate, permit not withstanding. They don't issue permits here for some shorter term issues which is also a problem IMO.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #74

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Not to toss more fuel on this fire... I still do not see why you need to park in a handicap spot to drop someone off. Why not drop them right at the door then park in a regular spot? So what if t takes a few minutes to get them out of the car/monster truck. It is better than the guy waiting in the fire lane for someone to get done shopping. It is also a lot less distance for the handicapped person to go to get to the door.
After I read your Post I took the other 1/2 to the grocery store,(both of us have tags) pulled into the Handicap spot. Went in the store. There I sat, and whammy it hit me, Your Post. Thankyou, I guess I never thought about that. So I moved spots where I could still see the front door.
Thank you for the enlightenment.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #75

I just wish handy cap spots would be designed for my Motor Home and toad!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife had a handicap tag when she was having knee problems. SHe would use if she went to the store by herself. If I took her, I would drop her at the door and go park in a regular spot, leaving the handicap spots to people that really need them.

What really gets me upset is a couple of perfectly able teens pull up and park in a handicap spot and run into the store. The car obviously belongs to a parent or Grand Parent. All they are is lazy and inconsiderate.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #77

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
Regardless of who thinks what, if a passenger in a car has a valid hang tag that was lawfully issued to them they are entitled by law to use it and the car can be parked in the handicap space. There isn't any need for further discussion. I realize that there are people who abuse the system to get one, and that is a separate issue (it's called fraud). Using a hang tag lawfully issued to you is not abuse no matter what anyone thinks, and being the driver of the car is not required. If I was taking my 95 year old grandmother to the doctor I sure wouldn't leave her at the curb sitting in her wheelchair while I went to get the car.

Perzactly!!! Totally agree with tricotec
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
We have handicap plates on both cars but not on the coach. I have a couple of stints, a herniated disc, a hip replacement, and have lost a a bunch of leg muscle tissue in a motorcycle accident. The DW will not park in a handicap spot unless we are together in the vehicle or she has our handicapped daughter. What I am wondering is, does being overweight or having a couple kids warrant a handicap hanging tag? I see a lot of these people use the tag to park in a handycap spot and then stroll on into the mall or other places.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes I have a tag for a long time (1985) and to be fair I see people park in the spots run into the store and leave Gramps in the car with his oxygen bottle.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #80

I have no dog in the fight but it seems to me to be a "badge of honor" for some folks who never even take the tag off the mirror thus blocking much of their view of the road.

Just wondering, Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #81

My father was issued a handicap placard after his second hip surgery. He used it sparingly...leaving the few allocated spaces for people that really needed them. When he could no longer drive he insisted that he be dropped off and then either my Mom or I would park in a standard space. My opinion for what it's worth is that the handicapped person needs to be operating the vehicle in order to use a handicapped space. The exception being those who have handicapped enabled vehicles of which need the extra room to load an unload. I would be in complete favor of random checks being made by law enforcement for those situations that are questionable. It might free up a space for someone that really deserves one!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well A) it does not block your view much but mostly B) they do not make the tag very UV/bake on the dash strong and the hook (plastic) breaks off way to easy.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #83

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
I have no dog in the fight but it seems to me to be a "badge of honor" for some folks who never even take the tag off the mirror thus blocking much of their view of the road.

Just wondering, Mike
Or it might be to make sure the person needing the tag doesn't forget to put it up since, in most jurisdictions, failure to display the tag when parked in a handicapped space will result in a steep fine, even if the person just forgot. In my case, I have ADHD; there is no way I will always remember to hang the thing.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #84

I feel I have to chime in here. Im currently 30 and have had a plate or placard since I turned 18.

You cant see my disability..but its there. I have lower back problems and a kind of muscular dystrophy that comes and goes.

Looking at me...I look fine..

Please remember..dont judge..you never know.

Also, the ADA says that if the plate or placard has been lawfully obtained..you cannot question the disability on demand.

And...sometimes...its none of your business.
compubmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, handicapped