Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #99

Handicapped tag abuse

There is no chapter or verse. A disabled person can use his placard in any car that he drives or rides in, in any state and most countries. Amen! If you are not disabled you should/do not have a placard to use and if you use some one else's you are in violation. If you have a disabled person in your vehicle and they have a placard they may use it in any vehicle when parking.

Hanging placards are not registered to a vehicle, they are registered to a person.

You also may not use a blue spot to drop someone off, to wait for someone etc. unless you have a placard legally displayed. No one can park in blue hash marks even with a placard, that is so a vehicle with placards can park in the legal spot and have room to unload a wheelchair.

You may not park, stand, or stop in a red zone, we will ask you to move and if you don't we write a ticket. Having a engine running means you are standing, if in blue we write especially if you do not have a placard.

In front of every parking lot there will be a standardized blue sign posted which states the parking lot is in compliance with ADA .... and so forth.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Wow! I saw a girl jump out of a Cobra, car, over the door. Right she had handicap tags. Or today a whale in a Wal-Mart power chair with a Pomeranian on her lap with a service dog jacket. Brings tears to your eyes.

Wow A whale in a power chair what kinda person are you.....

Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Wow! I saw a girl jump out of a Cobra, car, over the door. Right she had handicap tags. Or today a whale in a Wal-Mart power chair with a Pomeranian on her lap with a service dog jacket. Brings tears to your eyes.
Twenty bucks says the Pom is not a licensed service dog!! Ever see a Pom open a door? The service dog vests are easily got on line even in Pom size. In Ca lots of service dog abuses!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2snow2 View Post
I still don't understand how what you drive has to do with it corvette truck lifted or not I have a slightly lifted truck I use for my fithwheel and I suppose I have a rv I can't be handicapped I also. Need 2 canes to walk with and use a scooter to get around and a lot of people wouldn't get out of the house to go to the store without the permits hanging or plate I have been told by people when pulling into handi spots you sure don't look handicap when I get out and they see me try to walk I sure hope they feel stupid you can't judge a person buy how they look and you sure as he'll can't by what they drive..
Do you need a six foot step ladder to get in your truck??
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #103

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Twenty bucks says the Pom is not a licensed service dog!! Ever see a Pom open a door? The service dog vests are easily got on line even in Pom size. In Ca lots of service dog abuses!!
Service animals aren't limited to the blind. Some are for the hearing impaired. Some can sense when their owner is about to have a seizure. Read here.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You can say what you want, those of us that cannot walk more than 100 ft or so say you can keep your beliefs to your self. If we cannot find a close parking space it becomes a real problem, the rest of you can continue to do what you do best.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
Perhaps the tag number should be in a database for LEOs to use with a photo of the person issued the tag.
Being 100% able bodied is a gift and one that is fragile and fleeting. Anyone can become disabled or handicapped at any time. Perhaps we should photograph everyone - give them a small # tattoo on their arm - a photo ID - and papers to carry. This can be done at birth and updated every 5 years or when you move. By doing it this way we will be sure all the disabled and future disabled are labeled, catalogued and visibly marked. Enforcers will have a tattoo on their forehead so they are known by all and all will obey their demand to "Show me your papers."
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Service animals aren't limited to the blind. Some are for the hearing impaired. Some can sense when their owner is about to have a seizure. Read here.
I agree whole hardely!! The handicapped parking system is abused as well as the service dog system. In my state an estimated 50 to 60 percent of the service dogs are not certified! Let's not start another argument on this but the problem has many restaurant owners not allowing any dogs in!! You can't get a fake disabled tag legally on line but anybody can get a fake service dog vest for there pooch!!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Being 100% able bodied is a gift and one that is fragile and fleeting. Anyone can become disabled or handicapped at any time. Perhaps we should photograph everyone - give them a small # tattoo on their arm - a photo ID - and papers to carry. This can be done at birth and updated every 5 years or when you move. By doing it this way we will be sure all the disabled and future disabled are labeled, catalogued and visibly marked. Enforcers will have a tattoo on their forehead so they are known by all and all will obey their demand to "Show me your papers."
Wasn't really trying to propose to much big brother stuff. Guess I am just upset about the people that we know abuse it when others need the parking spaces. I am sad to admit my MIL is one. Obviously the honor system isn't working.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #108

Quote:
Do you need a six foot step ladder to get in your truck??

No I said slightly lifted helps to be able to pull myself up unlike a car and lay down to get inside when I get out I slide out I do have some really bad days and have to use a step stool to get up I have the help from my wife I get by its true anyone can become handicap at anytime .......
Old 05-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #109

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I agree whole hardely!! The handicapped parking system is abused as well as the service dog system. In my state an estimated 50 to 60 percent of the service dogs are not certified! Let's not start another argument on this but the problem has many restaurant owners not allowing any dogs in!! You can't get a fake disabled tag legally on line but anybody can get a fake service dog vest for there pooch!!
I agree with you 100%. I am a disabled veteran with a service dog and I see people all the time that claim there dog is a service dog but aren't. The funny thing is there is no federal standard for a service dog certification and ID required for the dog but you can buy fake ones, heck in AZ vest are not even mandatory. I don't use my handicapped parking everyday only on the days I really need it because so many people abuse it. But looking at me on a good day you could not tell I was disabled, then when I list my replacement parts, nerve damage, and other issues cause from my many deployments people understand. I do wish the government would make an service dog ID mandatory through them, that had to be renewed every year. I hate when I am using my cane or walker and can't find a handicapped spot because some else is in it that does not have a valid permit! Rant over.....
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #110

I agree on the dog I'd or cert. papers at all time
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I agree with you 100%. I am a disabled veteran with a service dog and I see people all the time that claim there dog is a service dog but aren't. The funny thing is there is no federal standard for a service dog certification and ID required for the dog but you can buy fake ones, heck in AZ vest are not even mandatory. I don't use my handicapped parking everyday only on the days I really need it because so many people abuse it. But looking at me on a good day you could not tell I was disabled, then when I list my replacement parts, nerve damage, and other issues cause from my many deployments people understand. I do wish the government would make an service dog ID mandatory through them, that had to be renewed every year. I hate when I am using my cane or walker and can't find a handicapped spot because some else is in it that does not have a valid permit! Rant over.....
Here in Cal service dog licences are mandatory! A state issued dog tag for the pooches coller. Just nobody looks as not to offend!!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 AM   #112

Sorry about that!!!! going off topic and stealing thread!!!!
The other day I saw a plumbers van loaded with tools, supplies and helpers with handicaped plates? Makes you want to say hummmmm!

Tags
handicap, handicapped