Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #169

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would gladly trade my vehicle handicap plates to anyone who would take my handicap
along as part of the trade. Sounds like some folks here are envious of those drivers who have a legitimate handicap. Must be an indication of the "me first" world we all live in today.

JMHO, of course.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #170

I fully understand just how difficult it can be to see someone's handicap or disability. I wound up retiring early because of a disability (No, I don't have a placard for it) but if you look at me you would never be able to see it. What I am trying to say is the old adage "You can't judge a book by its cover".
Old 12-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #171

Thor Owners Club
I broke my leg(tibial plateu fracture) this last June and couldn't weight bear for 3 months. Absolutely miserable to have no mobility. I really came to appreciate the gift of being able to move freely about with no encumbrances. I have a no appreciation and empathy of the struggles folks who have a handicap.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #172

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
This really irritates me. Just because people can't "see" the disability they automatically think that person does not have one. You have no clue what the person with the handicapped tag or plate has been through and continues to go through on a daily basis. Believe me I know what I'm talking about. I would gladly trade my disabilities with some one that wants to know what it is like to not be able to do the things you were once able to do.

Jerry
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #173

Newmar Owners Club
One way to stop abuse would be to make the handicap hang tag the ONLY way to identify the person with the handicap and THEIR picture on it. Then you would know when someone else (husband, wife, children, siblings, ect.) is not legally using the spot. And let the owner of the handicap card know that the fine will be $1000.00 for the first offence so they can warn others that drive the vehicle and use the tag illegally what the consequences will be. Just my dimes worth.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
This really irritates me. Just because people can't "see" the disability they automatically think that person does not have one. You have no clue what the person with the handicapped tag or plate has been through and continues to go through on a daily basis. Believe me I know what I'm talking about. I would gladly trade my disabilities with some one that wants to know what it is like to not be able to do the things you were once able to do.

Jerry
You're painting with too broad of a brush, IMO. Having a placard hanging on a rear view mirror means that anybody driving that vehicle can park in a HC spot, and that is where the abuse comes in...from other family members acting entitled.

I like the photo ID part, but that would be embarrassing. OH wait! MAYBE this would reduce the number of applications!
Old 12-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #175

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As long as the person with the handicap is in the vehicle I see nothing wrong with the placard hanging on some one else's rear view mirror.
bamaboy, it is just me and my wife using the placard.

Jerry
Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #176

Fleetwood Owners Club
Placards have numbers that corresponds with numbers on owners driver license. An officer can tell in minutes if its legit or not.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #177

Quote:
As long as the person with the handicap is in the vehicle I see nothing wrong with the placard hanging on some one else's rear view mirror.
bamaboy, it is just me and my wife using the placard.

Jerry
Nothing personal, Jerry, I think that the OP (and at the very least, MY posts) is about frivolous abuse of the placard by those that don't need the closeness because they are reasonably ambulatory.

When my wife was in a wheelchair or walker, we had a placard and became quite aware of abuses. Walking into the store doesn't move me that a person needs a placard. Grossly fat people shouldn't get placards until they've lost weight. Lazy is as lazy does, and abuse of a nice system is wrong.

When Sandy had enough surgeries to allow her to walk on her own, we tossed the placard. Let those that need them use them and be allowed to park close rather than farther away because some selfish person parked in the closest spot.

Peace.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
snip

If you have been following this thread you know I started this mostly because of a "friend" and her husband that we know abuse her tag. The last straw was when we were picnicking with a group and they of course hogged the closest handicap space and at the next pavilion there a woman in a wheelchair. Nice huh?
There is a lot of variable there. If I used a chair then parking a bit farther is no problem. When I walk 100 yards puts me in pain. Much more and it's a forget it. Depending on your "friends" problem that may well have been the best choice all around.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #179

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know what you mean, Rick. My wife and I were at the local Wally World last week. There was a four wheel drive truck that looked like you would need a ladder to get into it parked in one of the handicapped spots. I was furious. No handicap plate or tag hanging on the rear view mirror.

Jerry
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #180

My hang-tag expired Dec. 11_while residing in my glove box. My calf muscle is healed now, tore it last May. It still hurts when I walk very far (>2 miles). I park as far away from the store as possible, which forces me to use the leg more. Now I look at every car in a handicap spot, a surprising amount have no tag or license ID. However, IMO they are no worse than the people who park right in front of the doors of the business.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #181

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hummm I have begun to see a lot of flat tires in HCP spots with no tag or placard. Concedence?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #182
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I know what you mean, Rick. My wife and I were at the local Wally World last week. There was a four wheel drive truck that looked like you would need a ladder to get into it parked in one of the handicapped spots. I was furious. No handicap plate or tag hanging on the rear view mirror.

Jerry

Jerry, you should have called 911 and reported it. I've done that before. Problem is that the person will probably be gone before the police can get there!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, handicapped