Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Handicapped tag abuse

I just found this site Handicapped Parking Fraud - Handicapped Parking Violators - Help Make a Difference

I'm not sure if reporting someone will help any but might make you feel better. I got started looking for something like that after finding out something about a friend. Actually more like a friend of a friend. She has two handicapped tags hanging from the rear view in their car and I saw it parked in a handicapped spot at the beach. Closest one to the gate. So I ask our friend why she has one. "A problem with her shoulder" Meanwhile while there I see a woman in a wheelchair at the next pavilion over. To make matters worse she scuba dives regularly and has on her Facebook page that kite boarding is her next quest. Should I be steamed about this?

Like us they spend summer in NY and winter in Fl. So I look up the qualifications for a handicapped tag or plate in both states. Not ambulatory, difficulty breathing, heart problems... I won't go into the entire thing but not able to walk or with difficulty seems to be it, not a boo-boo on your shoulder.

At the risk of them hating me I think I will ask her face to face about it then decide if this is worth my effort.

So what is your pet peeve about handicap parking abuse? Here is one of mine. The spouse waiting (with a tag) for his DW/DH to come out of the store in the handicap space. How about waiting in a regular spot in view of the door or wait for a call on your cell so someone that might need the spot can use it.

Disclaimer: I realize some disabilities are not recognizable by site and would never hassle anyone I was not reasonably sure was abusing the system.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I just found this site Handicapped Parking Fraud - Handicapped Parking Violators - Help Make a Difference

I'm not sure if reporting someone will help any but might make you feel better. I got started looking for something like that after finding out something about a friend. Actually more like a friend of a friend. She has two handicapped tags hanging from the rear view in their car and I saw it parked in a handicapped spot at the beach. Closest one to the gate. So I ask our friend why she has one. "A problem with her shoulder" Meanwhile while there I see a woman in a wheelchair at the next pavilion over. To make matters worse she scuba dives regularly and has on her Facebook page that kite boarding is her next quest. Should I be steamed about this?

Like us they spend summer in NY and winter in Fl. So I look up the qualifications for a handicapped tag or plate in both states. Not ambulatory, difficulty breathing, heart problems... I won't go into the entire thing but not able to walk or with difficulty seems to be it, not a boo-boo on your shoulder.

At the risk of them hating me I think I will ask her face to face about it then decide if this is worth my effort.

So what is your pet peeve about handicap parking abuse? Here is one of mine. The spouse waiting (with a tag) for his DW/DH to come out of the store in the handicap space. How about waiting in a regular spot in view of the door or wait for a call on your cell so someone that might need the spot can use it.

Disclaimer: I realize some disabilities are not recognizable by site and would never hassle anyone I was not reasonably sure was abusing the system.
IMO you should have to have a PLATE on the car or truck not something that JR can take and hang on the mirror of any car. And if you can craw up into a lifted pick up truck or SUV you can walk from the parking lot!!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
IMO you should have to have a PLATE on the car or truck not something that JR can take and hang on the mirror of any car. And if you can craw up into a lifted pick up truck or SUV you can walk from the parking lot!!!!
We just saw one of those. Huge lifted P/U towing a toy hauler with every toy imaginable, including a lifted golf car. Handicapped plates on truck.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
That works for those permanently disabled but not for those who just undergone surgery and are recovering.

IMHO, handicapped parking works by the "honor system". There will always be those who abuse the system but that does not mean the system is broke.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We just saw one of those. Huge lifted P/U towing a toy hauler with every toy imaginable, including a lifted golf car. Handicapped plates on truck.
I'm sure you didn't get to see the lifted 4wheelers in the toy hauler !!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
That works for those permanently disabled but not for those who just undergone surgery and are recovering.

IMHO, handicapped parking works by the "honor system". There will always be those who abuse the system but that does not mean the system is broke.
I'm afraid you will need to define "honor" to the larger part of society! and I DONT find that amusing!! I'm. Business owner that try's to hire people... What's coming is VERY scary.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know lots of people think others are taking advantage. Of everything, if there is a benefit, someone is out to get it, whether qualified or not. And then there are others who wish they could do that, but because they can't get the benefit, believe half of those who do are cheating. There are lots of disabilities which aren't obvious. I know persons who can walk a bit, but if parked out in the boonies would not make it to the door. How can you know? I hope I never have to get one of those hang tags. And I hope you don't ever need one either.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I'm afraid you will need to define "honor" to the larger part of society! and I DONT find that amusing!! I'm. Business owner that try's to hire people... What's coming is VERY scary.
Sorry, but what part of my post do you NOT find amusing? There was no humor in my post. My mother just undergone knee surgery and was given temp handicapped tags while she was rehabilitating. She is an honest person who is very involved in her church and would not abuse the system!

And please tell me what being a business owner has anything to do with this thread.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time and time again you see people pulling into handicapped spots with the sticker hanging fom the mirror. Then they get out of the car and run into a store??? Have one guy back home every Sunday morning there is his brand new Corvette sitting in the handicap spot of a grocery complex and he is having NO problem pushing his cart around the store filling it up pushing it out to his car and then loading the passenger side seat area. If a handicap sticker or plate is used that person should be in the vehicle to be able to use that spot. Well I'm done venting but I doubt much will ever be resolved of the problem. I just hope these people do feel a bit guilty of what they're doing.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Florida is trying to curb abuse. Now to renew, a handicapped person has to have a new physicians note, completed within 90 days of renewal and must present it, in person. Cannot renew on line until this is done.

I am for it although it will cause me to lose mine. I will be out of state during the renewal period and three months prior, so I will lose my tag.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm not sure if she still does this but we knew a woman that kept renewing her mothers tag for her own use even though she was deceased. Lazy does not qualify for a tag IMHO.

My examples are of people we know are not truly disabled abusing the system. I do understand that every disability is not obvious.

Honor system only works with honorable people.

Sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest here.

EDIT: We have another friend with only one leg. I think he deserves his tag.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
Sorry, but what part of my post do you NOT find amusing? There was no humor in my post. My mother just undergone knee surgery and was given temp handicapped tags while she was rehabilitating. She is an honest person who is very involved in her church and would not abuse the system!

And please tell me what being a business owner has anything to do with this thread.
I was talking about my OWN statement not being amusing!!! And the business owner part explained itself with the next part of the statement. Pretty self explanatory it was.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...And if you can craw up into a lifted pick up truck or SUV you can walk from the parking lot!!!!
Are you a doctor? An especially talented one who can make a diagnosis without examining the patient? I'm handicapped and drive a pickup. It is actually much easier for me to hoist myself into my pickup using my arms (my legs are weak and there is no way I could ever step up into it) and let gravity help me out than it is for me to get into or out of a regular car. I get pretty fed up with the self appointed "police" and "doctors" who get on my case, saying if I can get in and out of my truck, then I'm not really handicapped.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
police here do not enforce it the say they cant do anything about it I have talked about this till Im blue in the face.Seen young people in this spots jump out of the car full run into the stores with there friends when I have seen people with wheel chairs never being able to use them.Which pisses me off is when the police see it and do nothing 250. fine but will be writing a ticket because of not stopping at stop signs in the same parking lot don't get it at all if you can right aticket for other things in the lot why the hell cant you enforce the handicap parking
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, handicapped