RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Talking Handling Robo calls

Let's all respond in this manner... answer in the affirmative until you get to a real person, then say.. "Did you know the Federal Trade Commission is offering up to $5,000 for information from employees leading to the arrest and conviction of their scam call employers?

All you have to do is contact the FTC."

Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Good thought, but most of them are offshore out of US jurisdiction. I just leave privacy mode turned on. My phone does not ring unless the caller is in my contact list.

redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
according to the FTC they are overwhelmed with complaints abut robo calls and the like. so much so that if you file a complaint NOW it might be looked at in 4 years.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
Let's all respond in this manner... answer in the affirmative until you get to a real person, then say.. "Did you know the Federal Trade Commission is offering up to $5,000 for information from employees leading to the arrest and conviction of their scam call employers?

All you have to do is contact the FTC."
Are you serious?

A real person?

I have a some ocean front land in Yuma for sale... Interested?
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Good idea but most are off shore so won't work. I sometimes wait to get to a human I usually ask them if there is someone there who speaks English that I might talk to
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

I push buttons until I get to a live person and then ask them if their mother knows what they do for a living.
bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Good thought, but most of them are offshore out of US jurisdiction. I just leave privacy mode turned on. My phone does not ring unless the caller is in my contact list.
Exactly. They're free to leave a message, but my phone ignores callers not in my contact list.

I do sometimes let it ring if I'm expecting a service man to call or something.

I look at my missed calls for today and I see six, so far. But it hasn't run once
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

How about the telco's just fix the problem!

We were in Canada and Alaska for four months last year. Wife and I both have Verizon cell phones.

When Verizon was on the hook for paying another telco for each phone call we received. We got zero! absolutely NO spam calls for four months!

Cross back into the lower 48, and we immediately are back to getting at least one a day per phone.

Oh BTW, we never missed a real phone call except when we were out of cell range.

They know how to identify them and block them. It must be more financially beneficial to the telco's to let them go through.

Until telco's lose that extra revenue, or the spam calls start costing them money, the problem isn't going to be solved.

Steve
Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

I got nothing productive to add, because you probably don't want to try my solution. I try to remain a low profile target. I avoid giving up my personal information whenever possible, and I'm not a "joiner", so I get almost no targeted calls.

My defense against random/robo calls is that I've got an area code and prefex in Alaska bush country. Nobody is interested in cold calling the Alaska bush. I think the 907 is not even in the robocall database. One of my parts suppliers' order page won't process my orders because I'm not entering a valid phone number. I have to call them each time to prove it's real.

I kept my Alaska number when I moved south. I only get robocalls when I post a big-dollar item on Craigslist. I get zero political or polling calls. I'll go for weeks with no calls at all. It's great!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #11

I've recently gone back to work after shoulder surgery and have to overnight every other week.
For our peace of mind, we had an alarm system installed.
I wasn't able to get the number that they would call if there was an issue, so I've started answering every phone call I get, which includes LOTS of telemarketers.
I found out by listening to their sales pitch that you can be put on a "no-call list" by pressing 1.
So, as soon as they start into their spiel, I hit 1 and hang up on them.
No stress at all!
Old 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, what you've done is confirm to them that they've reached a working number, and they'll call back and sell it to their friends.
They don't give a $%@ about do not call lists, or they'd never make the calls they do to the hundreds of thousands of people on the federal LEGALLY MANDATED do not call list.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #13

My cell phone is for me to contact HER when we are not together......so majority of time it is NOT even turned on

We have a landline because our the whole neighborhood is down in a 'hole' and the Tower is up on a hill.
Line of sight is less at our house vs others so cell coverage is spotty.

We have a 'No Solicitation' option on our phone service.
Call us and you get a recording that directs you to press 1 in order to complete the call. ......Robo calls can't follow directions so we don't get them
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Call us and you get a recording that directs you to press 1 in order to complete the call. ......Robo calls can't follow directions so we don't get them
Wish you could get that on a cell phone.

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote