Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
I've shopped there a few times, when I needed a bunch of security torx bits, or the like. ... I tend to find out what I need, then find it on eBay for the cheap, and get it that way. Most of my Snap-On tools cost less than the Home Depot brand.
I also find good quality used tools on Craigslist. Got to save money for a good cigar when you can!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #30

I bought a Craftsman torque wrench from Sears last year. A true piece of crap! Stripped two head bolts threads out of the block. Tested calibration and it was out of the park. Took it back and got another. That one failed before I got out of the store! Really. I attempted to set a torque setting and the handle just kept turning and it "rattled" when you tilted it up and down. Pure junk. Got a refund and then called to cancel my Sears card. When I told the operator I wanted to cancel they told me they lines were very busy and the hold time was about 15 minutes.
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #31
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
I see where the Menard's stores are now carrying Craftsmen tools. Lot of my tools bought in the past have been Craftsmen. I have noticed that their 19.2v batteries don't hold a charge very long.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have started buying Kobalt tools from Lowes. They are made in the USA, just can't buy tools or anything else for that matter from China. Our economy needs the dollars, let China fund their own economy.

Went to Sears to buy a new Hydrometer, it was made in China Guess I'll order one from Snap-On.

The Kobalt tools seem to hold up well. I am not a professional mechanic so I don't put them to the test daily. I do all my own maintenance on everything I own except my BMW. THe Kobalt tools have performed flawlessly, including the torque wrench.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I try to avoid made in China whenever possible
I do also but finding tools made in this country are hard to come by and if you do come across one its so expensive you can hardly afford it. China does make some good tools and some good power tools. I had a electric log splitter from DR and it was heavy duty and you could'nt wear it out. But I have also bought smaller hand tools that were a joke...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #34

For me it's not do much about the price or quality, it's about it's China !!!
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I do also but finding tools made in this country are hard to come by and if you do come across one its so expensive you can hardly afford it. China does make some good tools and some good power tools. I had a electric log splitter from DR and it was heavy duty and you could'nt wear it out. But I have also bought smaller hand tools that were a joke...
I suspect that the folks in Vergennes, Vermont might not like you saying DR equipment is made in - gag - China (tho I suspect some really is)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I bought a huge bage of cable ties from HF... Bad mistake... all the one I used last year are brittle and breaking off... they are plastic, not nylon.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Seems to me HF has what ever quality you want to pay for. If you buy their cheapest stuff that's just what you get. I have bought stuff from HF some good some junk.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have started buying Kobalt tools from Lowes. They are made in the USA, just can't buy tools or anything else for that matter from China. Our economy needs the dollars, let China fund their own economy.

Went to Sears to buy a new Hydrometer, it was made in China Guess I'll order one from Snap-On.

The Kobalt tools seem to hold up well. I am not a professional mechanic so I don't put them to the test daily. I do all my own maintenance on everything I own except my BMW. THe Kobalt tools have performed flawlessly, including the torque wrench.

The only thing(s) that keeps me from buying Kobalt Tools

1) If I bought another tool, "She Who Must be Obeyed" (you fill it in! )
2) I don't support Jimmie Johnson and NASCAR The reason for that is he's an arrogant (you fill it in again ) I have a friend that bought a 2009 Chevy Blazer from his Chevrolet agency here in San Diego, he was there to drop his car off for some kind of warranty service. He saw Johnson, walked over to him and tried to congratulate him about some race he had won, anyway he looked down his nose at him Like How Dare you even speak to me! My friend since traded it in for a Ford Exploder ! True story.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #39

I used Craftsman tools for many years in the commercial refrigeration trade. Held up good and if I broke one it was easily replaced.

Ever since K-mart bought Sears it seems their quality has really declined.

I've bought some HF stuff. Use their impact sockets (the black ones) on hand ratchets (No HF Ratchets) and they hold up well.

I use their tape measures at work. I'd rather lose or break a $3.99 tape measure than a $25.00 one.

BUT, I buy from HF with the knowledge that I'm not buying top of the line tools.
DesertRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
The only thing(s) that keeps me from buying Kobalt Tools

1) If I bought another tool, "She Who Must be Obeyed" (you fill it in! )
2) I don't support Jimmie Johnson and NASCAR The reason for that is he's an arrogant (you fill it in again ) I have a friend that bought a 2009 Chevy Blazer from his Chevrolet agency here in San Diego, he was there to drop his car off for some kind of warranty service. He saw Johnson, walked over to him and tried to congratulate him about some race he had won, anyway he looked down his nose at him Like How Dare you even speak to me! My friend since traded it in for a Ford Exploder ! True story.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It! Motor-T
1) Every time the DW has a project for me I use it as an excuse to buy a new tool or tools. She needed about 6' of trim installed so I bought a pneumatic finish nailer.

2) I don't follow NASCAR. So no affiliations or alienations for me. Given a choice I prefer NHRA. But I understand your point and would probably respond the same way.

For me it's all about buying USA made. Case in point, China made hydrometer for battery $13.00, USA made hydrometer $37.00 no question in my mind I bought the USA made hydrometer. I can't stop our government from borrowing money from China, but I do control what I purchase.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #41

(Bumper Sticker seen on the freeway):

Buy the Best and Cry Only Once

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
1) Every time the DW has a project for me I use it as an excuse to buy a new tool or tools. She needed about 6' of trim installed so I bought a pneumatic finish nailer.

"She Who Must be Obeyed" saw thru that excuse a couple of years ago

2) I don't follow NASCAR. So no affiliations or alienations for me. Given a choice I prefer NHRA. But I understand your point and would probably respond the same way.

NHRA OOH RAH ! John Force rules !

For me it's all about buying USA made. Case in point, China made hydrometer for battery $13.00, USA made hydrometer $37.00 no question in my mind I bought the USA made hydrometer. I can't stop our government from borrowing money from China, but I do control what I purchase.
I wanted to buy a Hydrometer, and couldn't find one made in the US, Where did you get yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRhino View Post
I used Craftsman tools for many years in the commercial refrigeration trade. Held up good and if I broke one it was easily replaced.

Ever since K-mart bought Sears it seems their quality has really declined.

You aren't just whistling Dixie on that statement.!
I broke a ratchet from Sears a Few years ago, went in to get it replaced the salesperson tried to get me to take a 1/4in drive ratchet one that doesn't have Craftsman stamped on it (those are the ones made in China or Japan) at least back in 1998 had a heck of a time getting one made in the USA from them.

I've bought some HF stuff. Use their impact sockets (the black ones) on hand ratchets (No HF Ratchets) and they hold up well.

I use their tape measures at work. I'd rather lose or break a $3.99 tape measure than a $25.00 one.

Even Stanley Tape Measures are now made in Taiwan!

BUT, I buy from HF with the knowledge that I'm not buying top of the line tools.
I went to the grocery store and wanted to buy some canned oysters for Oyster Stew Dressing. I could not find any made in the USA, not even Smoked Oysters, most said Product of Taiwan and they were about $2.49 a can. I went over to the fish dept. in the store I was able to find Fresh Oysters in the Glass Jar they clearly stated Product of U.S.A on them Fresh Water Farmed-Farm Raised in Washington State.

If We Can't Haul It...You Don't Need It! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote