Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
(Bumper Sticker seen on the freeway):

Buy the Best and Cry Only Once
I like the one that say's

If you can read & write English Thank a Teacher,
if you can Speak English Thank a Marine!

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't It ! Motor-T

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #44

The brand that really cracks me up is Tool Shop from Menards. It's all chinese made and total junk. I will admit to having a set of flare nut wrenches from Tool Shop that have held up well. The thing is when I'm working on brake lines and bleeders if it doesn't break loose with little effort, it hasn't soaked in PB Blaster for long enough.

The amount of force I put on a tool is directly proportional to the known quality.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I bought a huge bage of cable ties from HF... Bad mistake... all the one I used last year are brittle and breaking off... they are plastic, not nylon.

The ones from Home Depot and Lowe's are just about the same.
"Semper Fi"
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
1)

2) I don't follow NASCAR. So no affiliations or alienations for me. Given a choice I prefer NHRA. But I understand your point and would probably respond the same way.

I was watching Drag Racing the other day....seemed like Toyota has bought their way into that too !

Maybe it's time for the people of the United States of America to take our country Back.!
Attached Images

"Semper Fi"
Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry for the rant but I just had to say that. I guess that's what we get for wanting it cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I was watching Drag Racing the other day....seemed like Toyota has bought their way into that too !

Maybe it's time for the people of the United States of America to take our country Back.!
"Semper Fi"
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google Kobalt, Craftsman, and yes even some Snap-On tools, to find place of manufacturer. You may be surprised.

Back when I worked for a living, I purchased quality tools, regardless of thier origin. Quality usually costs more, but the quality remains long after the cost of product is forgotten. Or as some of you may remember, old time racer Mickey Thompson's slogan was, "I have no qualms with those who sell for less, after all, they know what thier product is worth.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Years ago I performed a Pre-Award Survey on Snap-On tools for the F-16 tool contract. During a break I asked their District Manager why were the regular tools for the everyday mechanic so much more expensive then craftsman. His answer was that although both tools are guaranteed for life, if you are ever injured due to a Snap-On tool failure your medical bills are covered by Snap-On.

When I was a younger Marine I was told while attending Supply School that the Military Supply System was based on Sears Robuck's Supply/Purchasing System of Contracting to the lowest responsible bidder. It appears today that most contracts are not awarded to the most responsible bidder, but rather to the lowest.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
quote:
A mechanic is only as good as his/her tools!

Not always the case. I just had to let a tech go (fired) that would ONLY buy Snap-on, Mac, or Matco tools. He just kept getting sloppier, & sloppier in his work, and I just can't stand 'come-backs' (bad for me, bad for customer).

Matco Tools has their wrenches made at the same factory (here in USA) that Craftsman has their Pro-Line sets made, to the same standards as Matco. (I was a Matco dealer).

I've wrenched on autos and airplanes and industrial machinery for nearly all my life, and my toolbox is filled with all sorts of brands. I believe like someone else said....a good mechanic can tell if a tool will be any good, ...but I will ad....for the intended use, and how often.

ie: I was standing 6ft away when a 2 1/2" Snap-on socket shattered, using breaker bar. The pieces went flying, hit the man in the forehead, (blood everywhere), knocked him to the floor, and nearly unconscious.

We used impact sockets on the bigger sizes from then on building B1-B's, even with hand tools.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I wanted to buy a Hydrometer, and couldn't find one made in the US, Where did you get yours?

Brady 10" Precision Battery Hydrometer

Also look at Snap-on
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
max49'

Also I finally found a set of those female torx wrenches at HFT and bought it. It only came with 4 sizes of the females. Do you remember what size I need to remove the solenoid on my starter?
Thanks

It's a female, E-6 torx set bit (deep socket) you need for the starter solenoid removal/replacement on the Chevy 8.1.
I just did a search for the E-6 deep socket bit set. I can't find it. You can use this set if you can grind the socket down on a bench grinder to a taper.
Put an extension on the socket and "grind her down".
Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I buy some tools from them...they have a life time guarantee...if I'm not going to use them all the time for heavy work. The only problem I have had with HF is their 18v drill/light combo...won't hold a charge over night, either battery.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
max49'

Also I finally found a set of those female torx wrenches at HFT and bought it. It only came with 4 sizes of the females. Do you remember what size I need to remove the solenoid on my starter?
Thanks

It's a female, E-6 torx set bit (deep socket) you need for the starter solenoid removal/replacement on the Chevy 8.1.
I just did a search for the E-6 deep socket bit set. I can't find it. You can use this set if you can grind the socket down on a bench grinder to a taper.
Put an extension on the socket and "grind her down".
Thanks Max,
I guess I bought the wrong one with this. 19 Piece 3/8" Drive E-Socket Set
I'll go back and add to the collection with this one http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piec...html?hftref=cj , at least they're cheap at HFT
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max49.

This is the set you need--It was on the side bar of the 1/4" set you pointed out-
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #56

I went to my HF store today and got a 30A to 15A dogbone, $7 with 20% off.