Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Just heard on the news today the spring bike rally has gotten too big for Myrtle Beach so Harley Davidson decided to scale back the event and move it to New Bern They have nearly 500,000 drawn to the one in Mytle Beach but expect only 3,000 to 4,000 to New Bern. Thankfully we don't live right in New Bern,and we are thinking this would now be a great time to visit Myrtle Beach!

Dianne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by diandtom:
Just heard on the news today the spring bike rally has gotten too big for Myrtle Beach so Harley Davidson decided to scale back the event and move it to New Bern
Dianne, I am here in Conway and what was reported on the media is that 1 Harley vendor moved his operation to new bern. The vendors name is, Carolina Harley Davidson Dealers Association. These folks originally sponsored the event way back in the 1950s I understand but since has lost a lot of its financial and political clout.

The prominent sponsor and main Harley Davidson dealer here in Myrtle Beach, HD of MB is still here and isn't going anywhere. HD of MB seceded from the organization either last year or some time ago and the owner was interviewed and he said that he is confident that the HD Rally in Myrtle Beach will go on as intended.

When asked about the CHDDA, HD of MB said that they sell as many or more bikes than the entire assn. and the fact that they moved out of town is noted however they are only 1 of 400 vendors which are expected to come here to MB.

That's the latest from here back to you Di!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Not good at linking,maybe someone can fix it,but here is the article in our local newspaper about the event
http://www.newbernsj.com/news/...html/rally_bern.html
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Harley rally moves to North Carolina

This is probably verbatim to the story you have however what was said on channel 13 this evening is along the lines of the commentary I originally offered.

There are quite a few posts regarding this article in this story. The rub lies in the fact that the "Bikers" may not want to go to New Bern.

Back to you Di!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well NC does have a helmet law which will keep a lot away, and we are hoping to get the older less wild group than is the norm at the Myrtle Beach rally. We want the old guys,with big bikes and big money to spend it here instead of south of the border in SC.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by diandtom:
We want the old guys,with big bikes and big money to spend it here instead of south of the border in SC.
Diane, That fact is not missed by any of the vendors and bikers that come here but after all Myrtle Beach is Myrtle Beach.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I cannot see how New Bern can have a very large rally. We don't have the motels,restaurants,"biker bars",gentlemens clubs or campgrounds,much less an ocean! I may can rent out a few spaces on the back lot. When the Shriners are here everything fills up. You cannot find a resturant that is not full.
Tom
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
About the helmet law .... they are going to roll out the same thing here as well. They are just waiting to uncover the signs.

More than we all care to know, bikers are killed here every time they come to town and they are not all victims of 4 wheelers.

Helmets might help although it's totally foreign to most HD bikers.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Driver,

Any time you get an additional 250,000 to 500,000 bikers in any geographic location there will be an increase in motorcycle accidents and/or fatalities. My first trip to Myrtle Beach for a bike rally was in the late 70's and I set up camp under the stars. Myrtle and Daytona, like many of the other rallies, are now geared to fair weather participants instead of true enthusiast. I stopped going years ago...

I have attended funerals of fellow riders have worn nothing and many who have worn equipment that met or exceeded DOT requirements. The debate of helmets is as passionate as Ford and Workhouse.

PS New Bern will not and can not replace Myrtle Beach...even though many citizens and politicians in MB want the bikers to go away.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
The only thing boring about any of these large rallies is actually finally being at it.

The planning for the ride there is always exciting, the 2 or 3 day long ride there is a hoot to be remembered for many years, and the ride home is long and full of memories of the ride there, but this time slightly warmed over by a small fuzzy headache.

But I only get excited by the sound of my own bike's engine not the crowd's, excited by the comraderie of the few guys I rode with, and excited by the looks of ... well I guess that 'gentleman's club' idea was a good one, but by itself not worth driving days for.
When we want to be part of the mob we ride to the rally towns 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after a rally.
You can still see the path without the standing on a street corner all day with your thumbs in your back pocket.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
As a resident of the "Grand Strand" I am not thrilled with the Bike Week festivities.

I am a proponent of the Helmets regardless of what State or Area.

There will be many who still come to MB for both Rally's and will enjoy themselves, BUT bypass the actual Myrtle Beach City.

I feel for the hotels, motels and other businesses in the city, the lost month of business will not be made up for quite some time. Many rely on the Bikers to really start the season.

Last week end there was a Helmet protest ride into the City. The Police stopped and ticketed 57 riders. Issued some warnings and 1 parking violation. Did not hear of any noise violations which was surprising.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Nicely stated FatDog. I spent my last dime in MB when the former Mayor McBride stated he had "the right" to bumb a motorcycle if he was offended by what they were wearing. If they want to convert MB into a retirement community, void of the tourist dollars, they have my full blessing and support.

Betty and I vote with our dollars. If you don't allow motorcycles or pets in the camping area, which is your choice, don't expect us modify our behavior to meet your expectations. There will always be a campground or city eager to accept our hard-earned money.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they want to move it fine. Time will tell if that decision will be a success or not. There will be some that will move with the rally. There will be others that will continue to go to MB anyway for their own reasons.

For many years Honda always had thier Honda Hoot in Knoxville, TN. Then it was moved to Asheville, NC. Now it is back in Knoxville. I don't know numbers, but based on the Honda magazine I used to receive (while a member of the Honda Rider Assoc.) attendence was not really impacted by the move.

As a "biker" IMOHO it should be up to the rider if they want to wear a helmet. My preference is to wear one, even if the local law permits riding without a helmet.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
There will be many who still come to MB for both Rally's and will enjoy themselves, BUT bypass the actual Myrtle Beach City.

I feel for the hotels, motels and other businesses in the city, the lost month of business will not be made up for quite some time. Many rely on the Bikers to really start the season.
I know the citizens of MB have the right to determine their own fate but I and many others have the right to participate with our currency, if we choose no to live under you new rules.

It will be very difficult for many of the smaller, independent operators to make up for the loss of the bikers and others during this economic downturn. I am sure they will be eternally grateful to the mayor and city council.:(