Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have an 05 Ultra Classic and this is my third battery. I don't ride as much as I used to and they go down if I don't keep them charged. After the original battery died - it was a good one. I bought one that fits. It was a motorcycle battery but did not last very long. I went back to see it if was still under warranty and of course it was not. The guy there said they had a Harley battery that was much better more amp hours and the price was much better than the HD dealership price. I think I paid something over eighty bucks for it. Much better and stronger battery and I would buy another if it fails.
Ooops! Store is Batteries Plus. I have been doing business with these guys for a number of years. Is this a national chain??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our's, 2012 STR Glide and 2014 Ultra Limmited, we have pigtails and hook them up when we are not riding, we also replace batteries every 3 years so the 2012 is this year.

It get hot here in Florida, that's not good for them.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Hi from CO. Well, think 5 years out of the battery isn't too bad. Suspect if you hadn't left the key on and ran it dead now, it probably would have failed in the next summer. No doubt somewhere inconvenient. lol I also have a 2010 HD Ultra and also the second owner. I do use a trickle charger through the off months but also try to get at least 1 ride in every month. I replaced my battery last summer and went back with OE$M HD. Difference, HD, I believe has a two year warranty and one from Battery's Plus, a one year. As for trickle charger, you can purchase one through Harbor freight for much less than the HD one. Doubt there will be any difference. Have you done any mods on your ride? Mine is stock with exception of having the Cats removed.

No engine mod's yet... I'd like to get more information about having the "cats" removed.. Not sure how to do that..

Obviously I've added the boom speakers.. I've done the faring ones.. waiting to install the rear one's.. hopefully soon.. I couldn't believe the difference in the faring ones.. really looking forward to seeing the difference on the rear's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141017_121357.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	86492  
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
I replaced my battery last month after 7yrs.I purchased a Duracell for 130.00 with a 2yr.warranty.I use a battery tender 4bank charger.My bike is built to the helt so it takes a stronger battery.Good Luck
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #19

Harley Enthusiasts

What about trying the latest "state of the art" battery technology. Lithium iron phosphate?

80% lighter and 5 X the life of other batteries! This one is sized to handle the Ultra Limited with 480 CCA

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424392140.896853.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	86499
Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It will be interesting to follow the new battery technology. And lighter sound better if it will endure the vibration and such. As for the Cat removal, had it done in SD by Lyle.

I will be following the new battery technology. And "lighter is better" if they will take the vibrations and hold up for 4 or 5 years. As for the "Cat" removal, had a fellow, Lyle, in SD do the removal for me. If your going to be at the Sturgis 75th Rally this year, ask about the mod at BH Harley. Sure was happy with the results. Can't tell it was done, engine runs cooler, and more low end torque. slightly louder but hardly can tell.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What about trying the latest "state of the art" battery technology. Lithium iron phosphate?

80% lighter and 5 X the life of other batteries! This one is sized to handle the Ultra Limited with 480 CCA
Attachment 86499
I've got one (not the one shown) in my Ducati. The thing is TINY and super light. You'll need to modify the battery box to keep it steady. The company sells a special charger (there is a warning against using a standard trickle charger) but you can test each cell separately. They don't sulfate like ordinary batteries and don't lose charge if stored without use. They are (or were when I got my a few years ago) pricey but they do seem to last forever.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #22

Mine is a 2007 Street Glide w/103 Screaming Eagle top end built at the Harley dealership when new. I changed out the original battery three years ago with an Interstate at a Harley shop in MI. It never seemed to want to start the higher compression motor. Last year I bought an Odyssey battery (Amazon I think) and seems to be much better. I always use Battery Tenders on all my toys when parked for more that a week. I use a high powered amp and off road high wattage headlamp bulb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07 Street Glide.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	86550  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Mine is a 2007 Street Glide w/103 Screaming Eagle top end built at the Harley dealership when new. I changed out the original battery three years ago with an Interstate at a Harley shop in MI. It never seemed to want to start the higher compression motor. Last year I bought an Odyssey battery (Amazon I think) and seems to be much better. I always use Battery Tenders on all my toys when parked for more that a week. I use a high powered amp and off road high wattage headlamp bulb.
Very nice bike... Going to Sturgis this year?

Also.. funny coincidence.... Sturgis 75th is this year, Daytona 75th is next year... I'm in for the daily-double..

Can't wait !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

Also.. funny coincidence.... Sturgis 75th is this year, Daytona 75th is next year... I'm in for the daily-double..

Can't wait !!!
Thanks...my wife rides this Spyder and we are headed to the Balck Hills this summer but not for the rally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fall 2 2011.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	86613  
Old 03-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #25

Is it just me and am I alone in the thought that a boom box on a hog is sacrilegious?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

Can't wait !!!
Hey oakcreekeric....new plans as of today. We will be staying at Big Rig RV in Sturgis July 29 thru Aug 7th then Rafter J in Hill City for two weeks...then??
Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
Is it just me and am I alone in the thought that a boom box on a hog is sacrilegious?
You're not alone. Inherited a Superglide and the first thing I did was remove the clock, GPS, Ipod bracket, amplifier, and speakers.

On my current bike the only thing I have now is a bracket in the saddle bag for my hand held GPS that clips on for those really rare occasions I want to know where I am.

As far as the battery thing, a battery tender will not charge a dead battery. Use a full blown charger. I have a Black & Decker smart charger and when I put it on a dead battery it says "Replace Battery". I just leave it on anyway and after a few minutes it starts charging it.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #28

I like my gadgets, and I think the look of a Superglide can support it. But for slicker cruisers, I'll admit that gadgets=clutter.